This will be my last post

FaFaHead

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

To be fair there are pro and con to every situation and to every person and personality in every country in this world, while Thailand is sourly lacking in many areas, the same can be said for many other countries, the bottom line is, how resilient one is enough to overcomes difficulties and bad situations... 

Summed up perfectly....No more needs to be said.

On the Alzheimer's issue - you may want to look on YouTube - there are some informative resources beyond traditional medicine.

One option (no affiliation):

The End of Alzheimer's

Dale Bredesen MD

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/551532/the-end-of-alzheimers-by-dale-e-bredesen-md/9780735216204/

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Wonder how much a plate of fried rice costs...

Boston

• Median income: $62,021

• Income needed if you’re a homeowner: $129,389

• Income needed if you’re a renter: $120,413

Living in Beantown might require an especially talented bean counter to be sure you can pay all your bills. Boston is one of just 13 cities where you’ll need to make at least $100,000 a year to live comfortably whether you’re renting or owning.

and if you want to live somewhere else in the States : www.yahoo.com/finance/news/much-live-comfortably-50-major-090000242.html

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the bigger part is what people define as a bad situation.

I.e. I don't care about the TM forms which have to be filled out from time to time. For me it's a little work and no problem. But some people here make a huge problem out of it. And then they complain about that huge problem. 

90% is in our own mind how many problems we want to have.

Well said. I also had problems with the visa extensions, but an agent sorted that. Other problems- nothing worse than back in the real world. They speak the same language here ( not LOS ), but IMO the country has become barking PC, the economy is probably going to dive badly, it's far too expensive and racial unrest is simmering below the surface. Could all go sideways very quickly and that's it down the gurgler.

I'd have happily lived the rest of my life in LOS, but not in Chiang Mai- too dirty, too polluted, too many cars. I'd have found a nice quiet place on the Gulf coast. There are miles and miles of beach with barely a house on them there.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Some of the comments here are ridiculous. There is no shame in trying out an expat destination and deciding its not a good fit.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, you are correct. What is a shame though, is that from the OP, he moved to LOS based on what the place was like in the old days, without trying first. Nothing stays the same.

Buying a house ties one to a single place, and Thailand is best discovered in the places one wouldn't want to live in a long time, but also need a lengthy visit. I discovered many interesting places in LOS only because I lived in several different places, and had I stayed in one place, I'd probably have been disillusioned with LOS as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BestB said:

This is not a dig at OP but a general observation .

Americans in my experience do seem to struggle anywhere they go expecting and wanting for everything to be their way and their way only .

it does not limit to general day to day stuff but even business dealings . They seem to expect for everyone to bent over backwards and do how Americans do it and if someone does not then they are stupid.

i have recently had my second encounter with the same American wanting to buy business . First time I just told him where to go from the start, this time he seemed more humble so i decided to waste my time with him. Not only I told him things are done differently here but gave him references to law firms and brokers sites showing step by step process only to be told it all Bs and he knows better and it’s done same as in America.

I guess what I am trying to say is some people from some cultures can , try and do assimilate into a new culture and some want other culture to change for them. 

Small example, the American girl, hippie clothing who open the door to a meeeting in my ofice walked to the nearest farnag and sia d'do you have liftime plan, and if not why not?'

She refused to leve the room and withdraw her conversation and eventually said 'if you don't want a life plan I can tell your fortune for 10,000Baht. Security guards dumped her on the footpath.

Another one, 5 or 6 years back the American man who appraoched the sales team at a big condo development in Pattaya demaning to know why the specifications in the master documents were in metric measurements and insisted it had to be in inches and feet by law (his law - American law), and other people can do a calculation to change it to metric if really needed.

The sales team pointed out that most buyers were from Europe and Scandinavia, American man refused to believe this and asked for a phone number he could call to tell the Thai airport authorities they should make an order for all signs about to be changed to pounds. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thailand is never going to suit everyone. Coming here with a military mindset of order, a wife, and relationship obligations back in the US were factors which were always going to make adaptation to living here very difficult.

"Military mindset" BTW there are many that have this mindset and cannot live in large sections of the United States. They have to move to places like Tennessee Or Tallahassee, because they don't fit in other places. OP is lucky he can still live in Boston. Best of luck on your move.

Edited by Dcheech

9 hours ago, BestB said:

really? you want to play this game again?

Sure because we never played it before.  You are flaming me and making up nasty things about me because you can't have an intelligent discussion.  Saying bad things about Americans is rather silly as there are so many and so many different nationalities involved no stereotyping is possible.  Little populations maybe but not in America.  Ever hear of a whinging yank?

Edited by marcusarelus

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, you are correct. What is a shame though, is that from the OP, he moved to LOS based on what the place was like in the old days, without trying first. Nothing stays the same.

Buying a house ties one to a single place, and Thailand is best discovered in the places one wouldn't want to live in a long time, but also need a lengthy visit. I discovered many interesting places in LOS only because I lived in several different places, and had I stayed in one place, I'd probably have been disillusioned with LOS as well.

Simple example, US man lived in Pattaya 20 years goes to a Thai house (first time ever) and realizes the Thai family have some 30 or 40 Thai TV channles. He's shocked and repeats not possible because Thailand only has channels 3, 5 and 7. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grifbel said:

What about " nattering nabobs of negativity", another classic from that era

spiro agnew    i believe it was negativism, not sure.    it's said agnew was a genius. 

Edited by alfalfa19
justcuz
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's not what he said, or meant. I guess you were never in LOS during the Vietnam war era, so you don't know what it was like then.

Even 30 years ago it was a far nicer place to live, and far easier to do so.

LOL.  You start your rant by butting in and electing yourself as the spokesman for another poster along with making unsupported assumptions.

50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO you are confusing building malls and superhighways with progress. Progress would be making a better country, but that hasn't happened. All that has happened is that it's easier to spend money and get from one dirty city to another.

You finish your rant by thinking all economic progress is bad, and dirt roads, and shantytowns without electricity would be better?  Why don't you go live in North Korea?

• Sad 1

I feel sorry for you but after months of due dilligence you came here, what does that say for your efforts ?, not much. There are pro's and con's to every situation and when i look at them this is still the place for me. I have only visited the USA a few times but to me this is a 1,000 % better here.

This is not a dig at OP but a general observation .

Americans in my experience do seem to struggle anywhere they go expecting and wanting for everything to be their way and their way only .

it does not limit to general day to day stuff but even business dealings . They seem to expect for everyone to bent over backwards and do how Americans do it and if someone does not then they are stupid.

i have recently had my second encounter with the same American wanting to buy business . First time I just told him where to go from the start, this time he seemed more humble so i decided to waste my time with him. Not only I told him things are done differently here but gave him references to law firms and brokers sites showing step by step process only to be told it all Bs and he knows better and it’s done same as in America.

I guess what I am trying to say is some people from some cultures can , try and do assimilate into a new culture and some want other culture to change for them. 

Maybe if you are from Europe you are much closer to diversity? Hence maybe you tend to be more flexible and pragmatic... ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1