This will be my last post

FaFaHead

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Keep it civil please or this will CLOSE !

Goodbye, Sir. 

We are all sad that LOS disappoints you. As I am not American, I can only say I hope things are rosier for you back home. UK is not, for me.

No disrespect intended, in posting the following:-

29 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

He doesn't want people to say good bye.  He wants people to agree with him that Thailand is an uncivil wild west country that should let people retire for free.  Hardly a nice thought for those of us who actually live here.   

Agreed most of his post resides in his head only. I pay my 800k, immigration are always polite, i don't see farang getting bashed by "street gangs" and I find Thias extremely polite. 

Life goes on as it did 12 years ago. OP failed to make it and now has pulled out every cliche in the book

looking for backslappers but nobody joining him on the last train out..just wishing him well lol

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Must be horrible to live in fear.

I don't stay in, I go to the bars and have never had a problem with Thais in the 34 years I've called Phuket home.

You should read the Thai news more often.

One case comes mind of the old grandma, grandpa and grandkid from the UK that got nearly beaten to death in Hua Hin

Yes, I am sure there is absolutely no crime in Phuket, right?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

back to america, where millions are homeless and the other millions dont give a crap,  and a mass shooting every couple of weeks. i dont call that civility.

thailand, i dislike the immigration and visa problems, but society and thai people i find very civil kind helpful and gracious. thumbs up.

330,000,000 million people live in America

30,000 deaths annually by guns

0.009% 

Thailand has an average of 24,000 road deaths a year

With a population of 66,000,000

0.03%

Do you call that civility?

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

Good Luck to you but to be fair,

try taking a Thai wife or girlfriend back to the US  & you will find out what "frustration" really means & the US Visa staff here are most unpleasant

Have to completely disagree with you there.

When we moved to the US from Thailand, it was a simple, pleasant experience.

Thai wife is now a US citizen, process was very straight forward and simple.

When she went to US Immigration to take her citizenship test I was amazed at how helpful and friendly everyone was.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

One case comes mind of the old grandma, grandpa and grandkid from the UK that got nearly beaten to death in Hua Hin

Lots, but, I seem to have avoided it for 34 years.

If you actually read that story about those three people that got beaten in Hua Hin, you'll find that rather than walking away, they provoked the Thai men involved. Of course, that doesn't excuse the Thais behaviour.

If you watch this video, you'll see that the grandma struck one of the Thais first.....which earned her a beating.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Lots, but, I seem to have avoided it for 34 years.

If you actually read that story about those three people that got beaten in Hua Hin, you'll find that rather than walking away, they provoked the Thai men involved. Of course, that doesn't excuse the Thais behaviour.

If you watch this video, you'll see that the grandma struck one of the Thais first.....which earned her a beating.

Any people that feel the need to beat up any grandma's for any reason are not civil people.

This isn't the only story either.

We never had any problems in our village in Isaan. Street rolled up at 6PM every night.

Roosters waking you up every morning at 4:30AM when people get up to start working the fields.

So yes it is possible to avoid it, but at what cost?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Any people that feel the need to beat up any grandma's for any reason are not civil people.

This isn't the only story either.

We never had any problems in our village in Isaan. Street rolled up at 6PM every night.

Roosters waking you up every morning at 4:30AM when people get up to start working the fields.

So yes it is possible to avoid it, but at what cost?

What cost? Easy.......don't make a Thai lose face.

I've already said that what those Thais did was abominable and I'm sure most people who have lived here awhile in that same situation would have handled it differently than the three Brits.

That is the biggest problem with many expats and tourists. They think that their morals, values and mores are universal. They're not. The Thais have a completely different set of values and priorities.

That Grandma was counting on not being hit because of her sex and age and that would usually protect her in a European country, but, not here in Thailand if she made a Thai lose face.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Isnt that the one where she slapped some thai ? better put up link

9 hours ago, Drax said:

Seeing I just met a Korean tomboy last night who was interested on me and day before met the waitress who served me lunch yesterday next to my condo at a club 2 days ago and took me home for free ???? I can totally agree Thailand can be such a weird place.

Why do you feel the need to share this?

We don't care

You know, after living in Thailand for 10 years, decided it was time to move to the US for a multitude of good reasons, one being our son's education.

The basher's were out in droves with their nasty and snide comments, not one of them ever knowing our reasons for moving.

Did their comments influence me at all? No, not one bit. 

People that have nasty and snide comments about anything or people they don't even know, with no facts or first hand knowledge should examine their own lives and whether or not they are lying to themselves?

On to the point. 

Now in Florida, USA, there is a Thai Temple in the next town over.

They have a food court, so every weekend a multitude of elderly Americans show up with their Thai wives and have lunch and socialize, much the same they did when they lived in Thailand, doing their Thai Buddhist things, etc.

If you didn't know you were in Florida, you could be in any temple in Thailand.

Elderly Thai women buzzing around selling things, speaking their Thai language and eating their Thai food.

Some American husband's even feel the need and bravado to help out around the temple.

I often look around and ask myself why didn't they just stay in Thailand if they want to live like this?

Meaning live a total Thai life in the USA and not adapting to the culture, language, food or anything else in America?

There are some that have learned English and have jobs in factories or what not, but the majority cannot speak good English, cannot read or write, cannot pass a drivers test and live out their lives the same as there were in Thailand?

They might have a better house, better car, furniture etc. in their homes, but that is as far as the assimilation goes.

Save up enough money to go visit Thailand every 2 or 3 years.

According to a lot of posters here, these people couldn't hack it in Thailand, so they had to move back to the USA?

I can honestly say I have no idea why they moved from Thailand and it is really none of my business.

People do what is best for themselves and their families.

Who are any of us to put them down then we have no insight into their lives or circumstances surrounding where they chose to live?

A reminder that people will make decisions that benefit them. Not benefit you!

Because the OP chose to move home, it should not negatively affect or concern anyone but the OP and his wife.

Edited by bwpage3
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

You know, after living in Thailand for 10 years, decided it was time to move to the US for a multitude of good reasons, one being our son's education.

The basher's were out in droves with their nasty and snide comments, not one of them ever knowing our reasons for moving.

Did their comments influence me at all? No, not one bit. 

People that have nasty and snide comments about anything or people they don't even know, with no facts or first hand knowledge should examine their own lives and whether or not they are lying to themselves?

On to the point. 

Now in Florida, USA, there is a Thai Temple in the next town over.

They have a food court, so every weekend a multitude of elderly Americans show up with their Thai wives and have lunch and socialize, much the same they did when they lived in Thailand, doing their Thai Buddhist things, etc.

If you didn't know you were in Florida, you could be in any temple in Thailand.

Elderly Thai women buzzing around selling things, speaking their Thai language and eating their Thai food.

Some American husband's even feel the need and bravado to help out around the temple.

I often look around and ask myself why didn't they just stay in Thailand if they want to live like this?

Meaning live a total Thai life in the USA and not adapting to the culture, language, food or anything else in America?

There are some that have learned English and have jobs in factories or what not, but the majority cannot speak good English, cannot read or write, cannot pass a drivers test and live out their lives the same as there were in Thailand?

They might have a better house, better car, furniture etc. in their homes, but that is as far as the assimilation goes.

Save up enough money to go visit Thailand every 2 or 3 years.

According to a lot of posters here, these people couldn't hack it in Thailand, so they had to move back to the USA?

I can honestly say I have no idea why they moved from Thailand and it is really none of my business.

People do what is best for themselves and their families.

Who are any of us to put them down then we have no insight into their lives or circumstances surrounding where they chose to live?

A reminder that people will make decisions that benefit them. Not benefit you!

Because the OP chose to move home, it should not negatively affect or concern anyone but the OP and his wife.

Perhaps silly questions but i must ask

1. Why the need to announce leaving? 

2. Why go to temple in another town to have thai meals? are there no thai restaurants in town you are in?

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Sure because we never played it before.  You are flaming me and making up nasty things about me because you can't have an intelligent discussion.  Saying bad things about Americans is rather silly as there are so many and so many different nationalities involved no stereotyping is possible.  Little populations maybe but not in America.  Ever hear of a whinging yank?

Yep.

• Haha 1

22 july you posted  

"I really am thinking of just saying to hell with it and leaving. This is too much of a hassle to try and stay here"

July 30 you posted :

"I will be departing on the 7th of November for Boston, exactly one year to the day from when we arrived"

That's really quick decision, to say at least.....

In my opinion, the reasons that you state for this show that you are a person who steps in almost anything without any form of preparation. Like most Americans. Los of blabla, but in the end... BS. You say you have prepared yourself properly, but also that you left because of Trump. And you were in the armed forces ? Almost cannot believe that. 

Then you sketch the Thai people and the country very negatively.
A people that has never been a colony of a western country, has a rich and long cultural history, with free people who for the most part take their fate into their own hands, who are happy with what they have and have achieved, who are still full working on eliminating corruption and achieving a democratic society. The proud Thai people consist of several peoples (Khmer, Burmese, Chinese, Laos, etc.) that have merged almost seamlessly and live together peacefully. Yes, there are also negative points, but everything can be improved. The rules in the field of immigration are part of maintaining one's own Thai identity and are a protection against too many foreign influences.

And now you go back to the USA. A country with so many contradictions that control the media every day. An in and in rotten country that cannot have peace with itself and its history. I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by tonboy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1