This will be my last post

FaFaHead

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe, if you don't mind, keep your TV account for a few months.

And after you are settled in the USA maybe tell us how you feel about leaving Thailand.

I don't know you and I don't predict anything. Maybe you will be happy, maybe you will miss Thailand.

I think sometimes we only think about the good things if we move to somewhere else and then it's not there anymore.

Grass is always greener elsewhere than where we are.

2 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Like you I first arrived in Thailand in 1968. I was in the US Army but was fortunate to have a Thai interpreter assigned to us. It really helped. In 1971 I was invited back to Thailand and spent 5 years at a Thai university. Although the staff was bi-lingual  they insisted I speak correct Thai outside of official work. They also taught my Thai ways and customs. I was always accepted at personal and official functions. My neighbor who was a Thai military academy graduate often hosted his mid level military officer friends at his home. I became good friends with several of them and remembered them talking about disrespectful Americans. When I reminded them I was American they would say, no you are Thai like us. I took it as a big compliment. Thailand has always had a special place in my heart. I still have many friends in Bangkok but find it tiring to go there.

I take offence at the Thai bashes whether Americans, British, European, or anyone else. As a whole Thai are generous and friendly to everyone. 

Thailand is different than other places and require an adoptive attitude to fit in. Those who adjust do well. Those that are stuck on their western ways do not. 

That was my experience and even after being gone for 40 years when I got back I was accepted as part of the family and included in all the family events such as marriage and funerals by both my old friends and the monks at the local temple and the Mayor of the town and his staff.  Visiting an old friend who lived on an Army base he turned out the troops for me to review.  I put on my best generals walk and asked, "what's your name soldier and where you from, in my best Thai" 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soistalker said:

There is no prostitution in Pattaya, says the police, yet you could throw a stone across the street from the police station  and hit 4 or 5 slappers.

You just made a new expression. Hit 4-5 slappers with one stone??? Only heard of killing two birds with one stone.

I don't remember: Did we every have a thread here were someone wrote something like:

I really liked my years in Thailand but now my priorities (personal situation, whatever) changed and now I decided to move to xyz.

It seems all people who move away from here only do that after they are completely fed-up with TH.

Why not review things form time to time and if it's not what you want anymore then think about alternatives.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I was awake the whole night thinking......still I can’t think of a single reason to be jealous of America.

???? So, you were up all night thinking of me were you???  Get a life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All the best to you and your family,I was thinking about doing the same thing the other day,returning to the UK,but,I see it has been taken over by the PC lot and greedy bought politicians and people that don't like the UK or it's indigenous ones,only the freebies they can claim,anyway as I said,all the the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't remember: Did we every have a thread here were someone wrote something like:

I really liked my years in Thailand but now my priorities (personal situation, whatever) changed and now I decided to move to xyz.

It seems all people who move away from here only do that after they are completely fed-up with TH.

Why not review things form time to time and if it's not what you want anymore then think about alternatives.

I reckon that would be my thinking when I finally up and leave. I have a specific reason for being here and once that purpose is finalised, I will move on. The finish line isn't quite in sight yet, but I know when I leave I'll be a little sad, but excited to get onto the stage of life. And I'll have some great memories and it will have been another country I have got to see inside of, enjoyed the locals, learned a new cuisine, and have explored - even if for only a couple of days in some cases, nearly every province.

This place is not for everyone. I instantly felt at ease here from my first holiday quite some time ago. I've also had some long term Thai nationals as friends through business that I have known since before I came here in a non holiday capacity.

To the Op. You gave it a shot. Enjoy your time back stateside and find a positive out of all this. Even if that positive is that you decide you will never leave your regional centre again. Don't let the angst you are feeling now be for nothing. Life is too short to not be happy. Do what feels right as long as you are not openly hurting others.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the bigger part is what people define as a bad situation.

I.e. I don't care about the TM forms which have to be filled out from time to time. For me it's a little work and no problem. But some people here make a huge problem out of it. And then they complain about that huge problem. 

90% is in our own mind how many problems we want to have.

I think you are missing some important points. I try to run my life efficiently and within the system and the law. There are many here that are similar to me in this way.

You are also oversimplifying the TM forms. The frustration arrives is because a lot of us do not know where we stand at all after years of obeying the rules they continuously invent more not fit for purpose and the means by following them as in online reporting, are not working.

The latest one is TM30, with all offices making contradictory statemen5ts and each one differing in their interpretation of the said form. Since renewing retirement extension, we were told to register online, we did it...TWICE! over 2.5 months ago. We rang the helpline, nobody picks up. We rang our Immigration office, ' I will call you back ' He never did. We rang again, ' I am very busy ' was the response.

So this is not a case of sitting at home whinging about a system. It's a case of now being provided with the tools to do what they require as in a username and password and not knowing which ' rule ' our local immigration have decided they are going to follow with the TM30.

We leave next week for the UK, good because I need a break from here. On return we will head within the 24 hours to our immigration office and try to report and get a bloody username and password. 

Nothing wrong with my mind, and I don't mind doing the work, give me the bloody tools to accomplish it. It is frustrating.

Footnote: And none of this reduces criminality because criminals don't file TM28 or TM30, they don't report every 90 days, Many don't even have passports and others haven't even come through the front door to enter the Kingdom, so their lives remain unaffected and they continue without stress as normal. It is the law abiding that this nonsense affects.

• Thanks 2

On 7/30/2019 at 5:25 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Good luck to you.

Thailand is not for everybody and yes, it changed slightly since 1973.

But I think it's funny when you write about going to the USA and civility and common sense. 555. Did you have a look at the news in the last years?

How about the past 50 years or so, but especially the past 20? All the criticism leveled here at Thailand goes double for the USA, a truly delusional culture if there is such a thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FredGallaher said:
6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't agree with you on much but I sure do in this.  I pay dues to the VFW every year but find it hard to go to meetings.  The little hitlers tried to kill me on numerous occasions.  And I can't bring myself to forget that. 

The little hitlers probably are the same ones spreading negativity on TV. Losers.

Thank you for proving Godwin's Law is true!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"; that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds, the point at which effectively the discussion or thread often ends. "

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Based on my personal situation vs. yours, most likely. For example:

Went to the dermatologist for a checkup.  She noticed an odd spot on my face and did a biopsy.  Two days later diagnosed as melanoma.  

Out of pocket cost: $40 USD

I had the option to have surgery 4 days later.  The dermatologist suggested getting a second opinion from an unaffiliated pathologist regarding how much tissue to be removed.

Out of pocket cost: 0 USD

Surgery was done a week later over 2 days to remove both the melanoma and some additional non-malignant lesions.

Out of pocket: $40 USD

Out of pocket medicine: ~$15 USD

Every aspect of the treatment was flawless.  The scars on my leg and head are visible but he took extra care on the face and the ~7cm incision is basically inperceptible.

Lets forget cost.  Approximately how long would that diagnosis, second opinion and surgery have taken under your system?

That is one anecdotal example. However, I'm willing to address it from experience as of today.

I had a raised something on my arm. Made an appointment with my dermatologist in Australia, from Thailand.

Saw him at 10 am. He asked how long I had had it, 2 months. Can you come back at 3 pm after I have cleared my other patients.

Surgery at 3 pm, about six stitches. Removed material sent for pathology, I'll get the results next Monday. Stitches out in Thailand in 2 weeks time.

Don't know the out of pocket cost, with our Medicare probably $150 AUD.

Delay on my surgery 5 hours. Yours was 4 - 7 days, not including the two days for biopsy. No faffing around with biopsies or second opinions.

I rest my case.

Edited by Lacessit

21 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

My detailed analysis of annual current cost of living in US suggests $45,000 to $65,000 is needed if you do not own home. Drops down to $35,000 to $45,000 if you already own a residence and an automobile. Lower end of $35,000 contemplates no car ownership. Renting contemplates $1200 to $2,000 rental range (many areas higher). If home is already owned, contemplates property taxes, and maintenance costs. Medicare premiums, car ownership (excluding car loan), vacation budget.

Example:

Rent $1200

Food $850 (does not contemplate eating out very much)

Alcohol $0

Trans $400 (car insurance, registration, maintenance, gas, parking, parking tickets)

Entertainment $100 (Netflix, internet, etc.)

Household $300 (household furnishings, cable, phone, etc.)

Medical/dental $200 (out of pocket dental, med co/pays deductibles)

Medicare $135 (Part B premium)

Personal care $50 (haircut, grooming)

Clothes $200 (modest wardrobe)

Vacation $500 (generous travel budget)

===============

$3935/mo

$47,220/yr

Sobering. Anybody else envious of the OP? Repatriation looks additionally scary when you consider US/world probably going to be in protracted period of low to negative interest rates. Inflation, entitlement program reliability, housing affordability, political and social climate outlook is also very murky. OP should be congratulated for his willingness to take risk.

Great quote on facing indecision:

"Our sin tends to be timidity, not rashness. On average, we say “no” too much when faced with an opportunity or dilemma."

Edited by Tony125
correction