Thai bureaucracy is relatively simple and straightforward - why complain?

3 minutes ago, eggers said:

Think the main issue w/ Thai Immi, is inconsistency..

The rules & laws not applied consistency, one office treats situ differently to anor,

even officers in same office apply different actions!!!

Plus, requirements not clearly explained or outline...get half info!!

Same with different US state laws.

Same with American police officers from different departments.

it's not that bad. That's why the Thai system has so many loopholes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Assuming most posters here are Brits, Euros, and Aussies, are your countries really that free of bureaucracy?

In the US, you have to go through all this nonsense every single year just to be able to function in society. You have to spend WEEKS just to FILE your taxes, you have to get MANY different types of insurance, and you have to drive to get to work (time and money needed for drivers licenses, car registration, car insurance, license plates, and more). If you don't, you're screwed.

In Thailand, you have to do a bunch of things every year too, but it's far less stress and less time-consuming.

In the US, you have to go through immense amounts of paperwork in order to get these types of insurance that every single functional American is supposed to have.

1. Car insurance (police will screw you over if you don't)

2. Health insurance (absolute must-have for all Americans, until recently we were fined hundreds of dollars for not having it)

3. Property insurance (all homeowners and renters are supposed to have it)

Everything comes with extremely long fine print agreements that you have to sign.

If you don't get insurance, you're breaking the law and the US government will screw you over for that.

What about insurance in Thailand? In practice, nobody cares if you have it despite all the talk about foreigners being required to get health insurance.

And when you do get it, it's fast and easy.

Edited by Falconator
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Tell me if any of you have to go through any of this nonsense annually in Thailand.

Thai immigration doesn't even come close.

DMV

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/09/us/dmv-california-wait-times.html

IRS

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/american-tax-returns-dont-need-be-painful/586369/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I think I just realized how easy Europeans have it.

Americans love talking about how cheap healthcare and education costs in Thailand are, but Europeans all complain about them. Seriously, $1k-2k per semester for higher education is a steal that you can't get in America. $1k for a hospital visit? Good luck getting that in the US.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Falconator said:

Tell me if any of you have to go through any of this nonsense annually in Thailand.

Thai immigration doesn't even come close.

DMV

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/09/us/dmv-california-wait-times.html

IRS

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/american-tax-returns-dont-need-be-painful/586369/

Stay on the topic, which is immigration not the Department of Motor Vehicles. My issue was not knowing if I would be approved this year due to one month out of the last 12 being below the 65,000 baht required monthly income (not consistent with Bangkok directives not all offices requiring 12 months proof this year as the strict interpretation of existing Thai law was announced only in Feb. 2019). Lack of consistency and forward notice are big items. The 90 day report? OK but note Thai mobile, banks, Driver’s License and car registration, immigration already have my address. I have no issue being required to fill in a TM-30 upon re-entering the country (even though immigration required this on the form when arriving at the airport) but... Give me a break...new TM-30 every time I leave Chiang Mai province overnight and am returning to the address on record? 

Edited by wwest5829

7 hours ago, BobBKK said:

You have to check in every 90 days in US?  TM30's too?  forget tax we are talking people who visit etc. 100 posts shows how long you have been here.

and there you have your your answer OP.  TVs whingers and naysayers will be out in force to rubbish your views based on how many posts you have on this forum. You could have lived here for 50 years, but it won't count. I agree with you by the way and I'm a Brit.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

and there you have your your answer OP.  TVs whingers and naysayers will be out in force to rubbish your views based on how many posts you have on this forum. You could have lived here for 50 years, but it won't count. I agree with you by the way and I'm a Brit.  

"Thais are efficient" cummon  lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Falconator said:

Checking in every 90 days for half a day at most when the queue is long - that's a breeze compared to what Americans have to go though every new calendar year even when you multiply that by 4.

In the US, every new calendar year, we are faced with the extreme stress of having to deal with a whole bunch of confusing forms and paperwork, and we have to choke up hundreds of dollars to get all that done just to figure out how much we owe to the government. The IRS basically thinks that it's your responsibility to figure out what you owe them, but if you don't, they'll garnish your wages and could even put you in jail. Thais face far less stress doing their taxes.

In the US, we have to keep popping into the local DMV offices for all-day waits and deal with very rude staff.

Thais are efficient, believe me. Have you ever seen how India and the Philippines function? Thailand is pretty darn efficient compared to them.

As Americans living in Thailand, we still have to confront those confusing tax forms. I would be happy to trade that for Thai bureaucracy. But I don't get to. I have to add the Thai paperwork to the American.

America is, in general, much more consistent with the rules, than here in Thailand. The recent thread on the combo method for a retirement extension being denied in CM, is evidence of that.

• Thanks 2

The US, the US, the US... give me a break and have a look at France! 

Last time I was there, I was not authorized to open a bank account... in my home country! because I don't pay taxes over there (since I live in Thailand) and in France when you don't pay taxes, you don't exist and you have no rights. 

And other formalities are not easier. 

I filed for retirement in January, 7 months ago, and I am still waiting for my pension because my file is still being instructed! 

And I won't even mention getting a visa for a Thai to visit France... 

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

You're only qualified to comment on this if you already have PR in Thailand.

I know for sure that you don't based on what you're saying above.

Why not. 20 minutes a year to do my retirement visa and five minutes to do a 90 day reporting.

Just changeD to a marriage visa. More documents needed but it was a breeze helped by friendly immigration officials. About 40 minutes and didn't have to go back a second time a friend went and picked up my passport

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

In fact I administer cross border labour supply on 10s of men weekly.. All the rules online, no visits to departments, etc etc etc

Ah so you are the one. Please inform them that hiding in trucks is very dangerous ????

• Haha 1