Are big bikes worth it?

webfact

Just now, overherebc said:

Agree. Factor together reaction, action, and say braking and stopping distance at 160kph which works out at nearly 45 metres travelled per second you have probably covered 100 metres before the bike even starts to slow down.

Imagine 300 kph!!!!!

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

And the only contact you've got with the road being two patches of rubber each one the same size as the sole of your boot.

One way visit to the temple ..... in a small cardboard box ....

Edited by geronimo

big%20bike%202.jpg

and 2 days ago:

Daily News reported that motorcyclists in Bangkok were a model for how the rest of the country might behave. 

In statistics produced in a survey by Road Safety Watch it has been shown that 85% of riders in the capital wear helmets - much more than anywhere else in Thailand. 

And their reward? 

Bangkok has one of the lowest fatality rates from road accidents in Thailand compared to all provinces. The city usually features in the top two or three "provinces" with fewest fatalities. 

In just 2 days Bangkok went from lowest to highest. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Yes, it is way too dangerous for someone that would sit on their bike waiting to be “creamed”.

Twenty years ago my girlfriend got mad and broke my cue. I’m never going to have another girlfriend or shoot pool again!

did the cue kill you or maim you? Is there a chance that your cue will be broken every day and destroy your life forever?  Not really a valid comparison.  

If you want to ride these bigger bikes to their capability, given the state of the roads and the level of incompetence displayed by other road users with whom you have to ‘mix it’, perhaps they should be sold with a self-deploying white sheet as standard equipment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

90% of accidents in Thailand someone is breaking the law - it doesn't matter whether motorbike or car - it doesn't matter the size of the car or motorbike - someone is doing something wrong, who is there to stop them - nobody

and 90% of them know they are doing something wrong and they will keep doing it until the risk of being caught increases 

I guess you advocate a cop every 20feet or so posted along the highway to give max. coverage. Yes people break the law but having enough enforcement to catch even half is a impossibility in any country let alone Thailand.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

and 90% of them know they are doing something wrong and they will keep doing it until the risk of being caught increases 

Being caught is no deterrent. Wai + 500 baht. SSDD. There needs to be consequences that they actually feel.

I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 yrs and teaching CBT (compulsory Basic training)  as well as advanced riding for over 20yrs.  The only way is a graduated system of learning, both on and off road.  But of course this doesnt stop someone here just buying one and riding illegally. 

and as all bikes no matter the size are all kicked down to dredge along in the Left bike gutter lane with the ranged angry scooters! 

- How do Super Trikes get on with life? Bit of a squeeze! 

4 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Big bikes can be a problem in inexperienced hands but I see little to be gained by targeting this particular issue. A broader approach is required on road safety in Thailand, to put it mildly. 

a complete overhaul of how a driver "passes" any driving test to achieve a driving licence is required in this country.....a test that teaches ANTICIPATION and PERCEPTION....and one that teaches the laws of the roads.

Having said this.....very difficult to MAKE people drive safely......

Demanding better training of big bike riders in and off itself is useless. It's EVERYONE who gets to drive a car, truck/lorry or motorbike who needs better training. Focusing on just the big bikes is stupid.

I ride a Honda X-ADV 750cc myself here in Thailand. About 54 hp with a max speed of about 180 km/h. Plenty to kill myself, but nothing compared to the sportsbikes. The funny part is that I never had the license back in Norway, but got it here in Thailand. Pretty much self learned I guess, through hours upon hours of YouTube learning videos and by self training. And its been perfect record since. Just have to be super careful and not speed. I do have certain rules also. Never drive after dark or too early in the morning (before daylight), never drunk drive, never speed. See so many crazy situations in the traffic here daily. So many people just drive into the road without looking.

It's not the bikes, its the riders. And same for all other vehicles in Thailand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Worldplus said:

Big bikes are much better than riding a 110CC bike.. They can stop quicker and get out of trouble quicker..

This is not true, the east braking system always proportionate to the weight of the bike plus passengers, the same est result. You seem to brake quickly if you travel alone on your bike.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Completely wrong.  Most vehicles in Thailand could be defined as dangerous in your way of thinking. Its not the bike, its the rider, the lack of training, the lack of a proper age restriction and the ease of getting a licence.  Compared to a lot of S.E.Asian countries, Thailand's roads are actually pretty good and improving. There is actually a perfectly good infrastructure, well suited to big bikes, its just that the stupid laws which are different to most countries, don't allow big bikes to use it.

I'm %1...(not as young as I was ????) and have been riding bikes since I was 11 years old = a long, long time. I learned to drive a car at 12 and got a licence for both as soon as was legal. In that time I've had 2 major accidents, both in cars - apart from on the racetrack, I've never had a major accident on a bike. I drive/ride a lot of miles and I don't poodle around.  Why is that? Because I can ride, because I know how vulnerable I am if I do have an accident and because I respect the machine.  If you're going to ride a bike, any bike, not just big bikes, you have to be 110% aware of what's going on around you, you don't think the car approaching the junction with your road, 500m ahead might pull out on you, you assume it will. I ride a big-ish bike (650) in Thailand and am perfectly happy to do so.

Big bikes may be rocket ships these days but they also have phenominal brakes and a lot have ABS now. Its not the bike that's at fault, its the rider and the stupidity of other road users. That's not a reason to banish them to the racetrack - its a reason to sort out the lack of training and crap law enforcement.  Thailand's road safety record is abysmal no matter what vehicle you are in/on - its time the authorities stopped talking about sorting it out and started doing something.

+1

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, essox essox said:

Having said this.....very difficult to MAKE people drive safely......

I agree with the rest of your post but not the above. They need to have laws and bloody well enforce them. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but once someone loses their licence in the UK, they stop driving - why? Because the penalties are severe.  In Thailand if they are stopped with no licence, they just say they left it at home and pay the copper a couple of hundred baht. There is no check to see if that person actually has a licence - madness!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

I agree with the rest of your post but not the above. They need to have laws and bloody well enforce them. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but once someone loses their licence in the UK, they stop driving - why? Because the penalties are severe.  In Thailand if they are stopped with no licence, they just say they left it at home and pay the copper a couple of hundred baht. There is no check to see if that person actually has a licence - madness!

and the reality is it is not likely to change!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

This is not true, the east braking system always proportionate to the weight of the bike plus passengers...

Uhm...if you really believe that all bikes are created with equal braking capabilities you definitely shouldn’t be riding one.

• Like 1

Been riding big bikes for years, the last was a ZZR 1100 (Battlestar Galactica) as my late brother used to call it, he had a Hayabusa 1300.

No one should be on big bikes unless they have had years of experience 1st on smaller bikes, on and off road.

Then all they have to worry about is vehicles on the roads, potholes, dips, train lines, the wet and not turning that throttle to hit warp speed (the latter, not hard to do).

Miss warp speed I do, but those was in a different country with better road conditions, and I dare say, better drivers, and just to clarify, I wouldn't ride a big bike here, that's just me, each to their own. 

12-Bikes-Featured-Image.gif

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

This is not true, the east braking system always proportionate to the weight of the bike plus passengers, the same est result. You seem to brake quickly if you travel alone on your bike.

No way, what have you been riding?

If I was on my bike and you were on a Honda Wave. doing 100kmh - and both did an emergency stop, I would have rolled a ciggy and smoked half of it before you stopped.

My bike would also not skid all over the road under hard braking.

Edited by KhaoYai

10 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

No way, what have you been riding?

If I was on my bike and you were on a Honda Wave. doing 100kmh - and both did an emergency stop, I would have rolled a ciggy and smoked half of it before you stopped.

My bike would also not skid all over the road under hard braking.

No way, I go max speed 20 Kmh ????

• Haha 1