Savannakhet setv refusal

I was refused a setv at Savannakhet on the 1st of August 2019 . I travelled to Vientiane and I now would like to know if there are possibilities to make a application through agents for a setv in Vientiane.

If that is not possible could I try applying in Myanmar?

I have considered flying to Bangkok and try for a visa excempt , but I am worried about being sent out of the country as I have had one setv last year and two land border crossings this year. Most of the last 14 months has been on medical visa's due to a road accident.

You might be able to get one in Vientiane but you need an appointment and you would have to wait about 2 weeks for your appointment date.

A far as I now there are no agents that can help you.

I think you best option is to cross the bridge to Nong Khai to get a 30 day visa exempt entry unless you have already done 2 of them at a land border crossing this year.

You can go to Udon Thani airport from Nong Khai and get a flight to Bangkok from there.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:18 PM, ubonjoe said:

You might be able to get one in Vientiane but you need an appointment and you would have to wait about 2 weeks for your appointment date.

A far as I now there are no agents that can help you.

I think you best option is to cross the bridge to Nong Khai to get a 30 day visa exempt entry unless you have already done 2 of them at a land border crossing this year.

You can go to Udon Thani airport from Nong Khai and get a flight to Bangkok from there.

Joe, He ( The OP ) Said He's already done 2 Land Border Crossings This Year......Unusual for YOU to miss that....

• Like 1

Yangon has historically been a good place to apply. You need a Myanmar visa (eVisa online is easy). If desired, you can return via VIP overnight bus to Myawaddy, crossing into Thailand at Maesot. Maesot airport with frequent flights to Bangkok is near the border.

Of course, a lot of changes have happened recently at various consulates. Although there are no bad reports yet from Yangon, there are no guarantees in the current climate.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BuckBee said:

Due to visa companies turning up at savannakhet they change the setv policy and trend seems be refuse anyone who already had a stay of more than 90 days .

No debate you just told no, offered 30 day transit visa at best .

Basically huge numbers and lot of less than ideal clients that turn up on new visa van runs ruined another consulate and they gone hard policy to kill the numbers .

why you think Visa Run Companies are to be blamed? Since we run to Savannakhet we know the numbers, from 400 people only around 120 used a Visa Run Company. You can blame the individuals following the companies.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, visarunner said:

why you think Visa Run Companies are to be blamed? Since we run to Savannakhet we know the numbers, from 400 people only around 120 used a Visa Run Company. You can blame the individuals following the companies.

because every where visa run companies decide go with clients (majority of which are illegally working and have long visa history) causes the border and consulates to change policies .

Basically it a van full of problems and long visa use all dumped on one spot and when consulates & IO's see that volume & visa use in that sort of quantity one after the other it has negative affects . Unfortunately even more genuine use people then look suspect .

those figures don't seem accurate to me, on non van days queues are less than third the size .

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, michael888 said:

anybody refused SETV at Savannakhet recently?  Thanks?

Yes. Indeed, if you have recently spent a combined 90+ days in Thailand on a combination of visa exempt/tourist visas, they are likely to refuse you. Note that a single fully used tourist visa plus extension would, thus, disqualify you from getting a tourist visa there. With the massive increase in numbers applying there, they are doing everything they can think of to deter applicants.

41 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yes. Indeed, if you have recently spent a combined 90+ days in Thailand on a combination of visa exempt/tourist visas, they are likely to refuse you. Note that a single fully used tourist visa plus extension would, thus, disqualify you from getting a tourist visa there. With the massive increase in numbers applying there, they are doing everything they can think of to deter applicants.

Thanks for the reply.  Why is there a massive increase in numbers applying there?  Is it because Vientiane has become (reportedly (recently)) "difficult".  Thanks

On 8/5/2019 at 12:17 AM, BritTim said:

Yangon has historically been a good place to apply. You need a Myanmar visa (eVisa online is easy). If desired, you can return via VIP overnight bus to Myawaddy, crossing into Thailand at Maesot. Maesot airport with frequent flights to Bangkok is near the border.

Of course, a lot of changes have happened recently at various consulates. Although there are no bad reports yet from Yangon, there are no guarantees in the current climate.

Do you know if Yangon will still issue a tourist visa if it has the blue warning stamp from Savannakhet? I haven't seen any reports from Yangon on if they do a visual check on how many previous tourist visas you have in the passport. Seems like Savannakhet and Vientiane have stopped being the easy place to go and the only other option that has an Embassy near the Thai Border now is Yangon.

5 minutes ago, acenase said:

Do you know if Yangon will still issue a tourist visa if it has the blue warning stamp from Savannakhet? I haven't seen any reports from Yangon on if they do a visual check on how many previous tourist visas you have in the passport. Seems like Savannakhet and Vientiane have stopped being the easy place to go and the only other option that has an Embassy near the Thai Border now is Yangon.

Yangon isn't actually nearby the Thai border and they won't give you a tourist visa if you have a warning stamp.

So if you have this "Remark: The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under a tourist visa.." stamp you only have 1 option and that is to buy a new passport before applying for a tourist visa again?

Thought that it only applied to the consulate who stamped it in your passport. And other Thai Embassys won't care about it.

Edited by acenase

23 hours ago, michael888 said:

anybody refused SETV at Savannakhet recently?  Thanks?

Me. Had no proof of funds. Platinum credit cards allowing me to buy a new truck don't count. A dreadful experience. That Monday, they were working hours longer... I used to like Sawannakhet. 

23 minutes ago, onlycw said:

Me. Had no proof of funds. Platinum credit cards allowing me to buy a new truck don't count. A dreadful experience. That Monday, they were working hours longer... I used to like Sawannakhet. 

Summarizing, the rules say you have to show cash.  You chose to ignore that rule and the consequences were dreadful.   

Good info, but I think most folks are interested in how often people follow all the rules and still get knocked back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Summarizing, the rules say you have to show cash.  You chose to ignore that rule and the consequences were dreadful.   

Immigration when entering Thailand want to see cash (bank statements and credit cards are irrelevant). The consulates want to see bank statements. Neither cash nor credit cards help with an application for a visa. The simple fact is that the Savannakhet consulate is looking for every excuse they can think of to deny visa applications. I sympathise with them as they have seen a huge increase in applicants with Vientiane now only handling a small fraction of the numbers they used to manage. They are overwhelmed.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Immigration when entering Thailand want to see cash (bank statements and credit cards are irrelevant). The consulates want to see bank statements. Neither cash nor credit cards help with an application for a visa. The simple fact is that the Savannakhet consulate is looking for every excuse they can think of to deny visa applications. I sympathise with them as they have seen a huge increase in applicants with Vientiane now only handling a small fraction of the numbers they used to manage. They are overwhelmed.

My bad...  I stand corrected about cash at the consulate.  I was a little harsh on the guy, and for that, I apologize.  

Still, the guy showed up without the requisite documents.  Silly as the requirement may be, it is a government entity and they're not known around the world for flexibility.

I, too, feel for the folks who do have all the required paper, and still get knocked back- often without a chance to even show the dosh.  I also agree with a lot of the thousands of posts about the ridiculously antiquated  requirements, especially in this cashless age. 

But my curiosity still stands for stories from folks who got knocked back, even with all their boxes ticked.  That's a very different question- of importance to a lot of us.  And the bottom line in his case is that we don't know if he would have been knocked back anyway had he crossed the T's and dotted the I's.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

My bad...  I stand corrected about cash at the consulate.  I was a little harsh on the guy, and for that, I apologize.  

Still, the guy showed up without the requisite documents.  Silly as the requirement may be, it is a government entity and they're not known around the world for flexibility.

I, too, feel for the folks who do have all the required paper, and still get knocked back- often without a chance to even show the dosh.  I also agree with a lot of the thousands of posts about the ridiculously antiquated  requirements, especially in this cashless age. 

But my curiosity still stands for stories from folks who got knocked back, even with all their boxes ticked.  That's a very different question- of importance to a lot of us.  And the bottom line in his case is that we don't know if he would have been knocked back anyway had he crossed the T's and dotted the I's.

If he had 90 days or more stay in Thailand in the previous 6 months, he wouldn't of got a visa. No matter what paperwork he had.

• Like 1

Put my application in yesterday for my Non-B in Vientiane,significantly less people there than normal especially for a Monday,applications checked thoroughly whatever type of visa you are applying for and a lot of people were clearly being refused.

No appointment and they won't  entertain you so don't even try coming without one.

Things have really been toughened up.

Edited by ScottBooth

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

So, at the border it's cash and at the consulate it's Bank statements? Bank statement will do you no good at a border? 

Just want to be clear on the financial proof part of things.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, michael888 said:

So, at the border it's cash and at the consulate it's Bank statements? Bank statement will do you no good at a border? 

Just want to be clear on the financial proof part of things.  Thanks. 

That’s correct

13 hours ago, impulse said:

I share your interest in this rapidly evolving area. There are two separate questions really:

• To what extent and where are people being denied visas or denied entry into Thailand without any apparent valid justification?
  • How strictly are legitimate, published rules being applied, perhaps harshly, to deny visas or entry into Thailand?

At consulates, the officials are really free to use their judgment on whether to issue visas. Sometimes, the denials may be harsh, but they have full discretion and, while I may sympathize with those denied visas, I generally accept that the consulates have the law on their side.

Similarly, immigration, IMHO, logically have full discretion on whether to grant visa exempt entries or visas on arrival. They are fulfilling the same functions that are performed by consular officials in the case of visas.

Where I do not believe immigration officials are operating within the letter and spirit of the law is where they use bogus reasons to deny entry to those who have received visas following normal screening by the consulates. In my opinion, the Immigration Act is very clear that immigration officials are supposed to simply apply the rules laid out in the Act, as modified by orders given by the Minister. They are not empowered to create their own guidelines for abrogating visas. 

• Like 1

posted in another section also, sorry for repeat content admin guys!

Just got a knock back for a 3 month non B at Savannakhet. Paperwork was all in order. They said because it was the second single entry visa in a row. New rule apparentely 4 months ago, reality is the fella just made a new rule up on the spot.

Never seen so many people get rejected. I've been using Savannkhet for 10 years. Maybe 40% infront of me were getting rejected.

One fella got knocked back because his letter said Mrs. Instead of Mr.!

Rules is rules as they say! Thailand are making it very apparent that they don't want farang here anymore.

On 8/26/2019 at 10:25 PM, onlycw said:

If you show credit cards, how can you prove that they are not maxed out? Just curious.

22 hours ago, cvs04 said:

Rules is rules as they say! Thailand are making it very apparent that they don't want farang here anymore.

They want farang as tourists but they don't want farang living in Thailand. They should be living in their home country.