Democrats condemn Trump, white nationalism after two mass shootings

webfact

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

What on earth are you on about?

Drink some coffee before posting maybe?

Here's what you wrote:

"Very often the same lot calling for a ban on guns are the same lot who want drug liberalization. Go figure."

You actually believe that decriminalizing currently illicit drugs is going to raise the level of violence? Don't you understand that wars over the control of illicit drugs fuels violence not just in the USA but around the world? If drugs were decriminalized, their price would be cheap, and wars over their control would be pointless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolute disgrace seeing the democrats using these tragedies to play politics. Is there no depths they will not sink to? (Rhetorical question) clearly there is no limit.

I have concerns over the wildly different ways these horrific attacks are treated. It seems bizarre to be told for eg. to “hug an ak47 owner” change Facebook profiles to “je Suis an ak47 owner” etc, and then other perpetrators get a round vilification and calls for banning everything in sight in a huge knee jerk reaction. Totally senseless.

As always, RIP to the deceased and Godspeed to the injured , hope for swift recoveries.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A start would be outlawing (not just preventing new sales of) automatic weapons, assault rifles and such...

No law abiding American needs to have those kinds of weapons for hunting, personal protection or any other legitimate reason.

However, it's in large part all the "law abiding" gun owners you're talking about, and the politicians they support, that have allowed these kinds of mass shootings to occur by opposing at every step of the way any reasonable version of gun controls.

In a different America, if these would-be mass killers only could get a knife or a regular handgun, they simply could not inflict the kind of mass deaths and casualties in very brief periods of time that are occurring here.

Think of how many lives would be saved if we lowered the speed limit on freeways to 40 MPH, we have no need to drive 80 MPH.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

20 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

2019 mass shootings: ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 0 ???????? 1 ???????? 1 ???????? 1 ???????? 1 ???????? 3 ???????? 249

A mass killing is 4+ people.

How many the USA do in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

i think more than 249 every year?

why the USA like killing so much? Why are they different so much? 

Because religion?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Think of how many lives would be saved if we lowered the speed limit on freeways to 40 MPH, we have no need to drive 80 MPH.

What good would that do? Nobody pays any attention to the speed limits anyway, they just drive as fast, or slow, as they feel like driving. The biggest joke is that people seem to think that laws mean something here. They're only selectively applied after the fact.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I am not American,but even i know there were far more mass shootings under"saint" Obhama.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And like a lot of things you claim to know utterly false. The year with the most mass killings and injuries under Obama there were 206 victims. This year under Trump there are already 195. Last year there were 233. The year before that 712. And there a higher total of seprate incidents in both full years under Trump than in any year under Obama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States#2013

Apart from that, your post is totally correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DoktorC said:

Think how many lives were saved when we required the use of seat belts in cars or helmets when riding motorcycles.  Imagine what we could do if we limited the availability of assault-like firearms.  

How many lives are lost due to illegal drugs. Well, if they're illegal how do folks acquire them? Before we know it owning a rock will be illegal.

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

"Also love all these stats which do not take into account the size of the population". Chomps has already posted one of "All these stats" that DOES take into account the size of the population. I have posted roughly the same one below which I got from a different source. See that bit at the bottom where it says Deaths per 100,000 population. Need I say more...........?

stat.png

Actually, you could say a little bit more. Link, please?

It always seems to be the poorer  people demographic who are vulnerable to US gun crime and natural disasters ie tornado's and floods.

Never heard of Wall st bankers or the residents of The Hamptons,Bedford or Martha's Vineyard getting blown away or flooded out of their homes.

The only exception being JFK and RFK.

I doubt if the Democraps or the Rebsate really any different.

It always seems to be the poorer  people demographic who are vulnerable to US gun crime and natural disasters ie tornado's and floods.
Never heard of Wall st bankers or the residents of The Hamptons,Bedford or Martha's Vineyard getting blown away or flooded out of their homes.
That isn't really true about mass shooting victims.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

How many lives are lost due to illegal drugs. Well, if they're illegal how do folks acquire them? Before we know it owning a rock will be illegal.

Maybe you didn't know, but owning "rock" is illegal.  Hint for you rock cocaine.... there I linked your drugs and your non-sequitur together for you.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

Where aren't the poor more vulnerable?

• Thanks 1

"Also love all these stats which do not take into account the size of the population". Chomps has already posted one of "All these stats" that DOES take into account the size of the population. I have posted roughly the same one below which I got from a different source. See that bit at the bottom where it says Deaths per 100,000 population. Need I say more...........?
stat.png.e6d4223510e0fc8944837762688a8f73.png

On a side note to this it would have been interesting to know at what time of the year the suicides happens in the Nordic countries ... Maybe during the dark winter months ..

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

If only someone was talking about the fear that stems from a society based upon scarcity rather than abundance. About automation and the distortions, displacements and disaffectedness it will is bringing about. If only someone were offering solutions that put humanity first and that bridges the chasm that this 4th Industrial revolution is causing.

It could be argued that a step in that direction is the universal basic income US candidate Yang proposes. 

On the other hand the US is leaving the business of exporting agricultural products and DT is giving the farmers billions to sustain them.  Is this the beginning of a derelict class?  Notice you hear of NO GOP hand-wringing about "where is the money coming from?" which is their usual outrage.  Even if he gets removed from the WH it's not like agricultural trade is going to return to what it was, at least not quickly.

So yeah, society needs less workers, so what to do with those people who aren't needed?

There is a sci-fi book called Beggars in Spain (lousy title, it involves neither of those things) by Nancy Kress.  (sci-fi as in Brave New World, as opposed to, say, Star Wars)  In the near future the socio-economic order in the US is you can decide not to work, and the gov't will support you sufficiently but not opulently, or you can chose an education and go on to have a profession, pursue business and wealth, up to you.  Those who do not work spend their days taking intoxicants  and screwing.  (sound like Pattaya?)

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

It could be argued that a step in that direction is the universal basic income US candidate Yang proposes. 
On the other hand with the US leaving the business of exporting agricultural products and DT giving the farmers billions to sustain them is this the beginning of a derelict class?  Notice you hear of NO GOP hand-wringing about "where is the money coming from?" which is their usual outrage.  Even if he gets removed from the WH it's not like agricultural trade is going to return to what it was.
So yeah, society needs less workers, so what to do with those people who aren't needed?

There is a sci-fi book called Beggars in Spain (lousy title, it involves neither of those things) by Nancy Kress.  (sci-fi as in Brave New World, as opposed to, say, Star Wars)
In the near future the socio-economic order in the US is you can decide not to work, and the gov't will support you sufficiently but not opulently, or you can chose an education and go on to have a profession, pursue wealth, up to you.  Those who do not work spend their days taking intoxicants  and screwing.  (sound like Pattaya?)

Yang is ahead of his time.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app