TV presenter ‘Noom’ comes up short in death compensation payment in ‘Praewa’ case

webfact

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

From the OP (and other media resources)…

"...the Supreme Court on May 8 had ruled in a civil case that she, her parents and the owner of the car she was driving had to pay..."

Why is it so "sensitive for foreigners"?

It was ruled before that. Read the link. It’s sensitive to anyone who feels empathy. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Compensation should have been a 10-20 years sentence in jail for the hi-so kid with chopstick legs, when she committed her crime..

She was a minor at the time and minors don't get sentences like that in these cases, anywhere, no matter how horrible the circumstances were.

Edited by Just Weird

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It was ruled before that. Read the link. It’s sensitive to anyone who feels empathy. 

When the Supreme Court is involved, it's decision and timing is the only one that counts.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

It seems to me that some of the posts here are, euh let's say, "just weird".

You can say that again but so many people posting here, not you, do tend to have irrational tendencies, an inability to read and comprehend that well and an innate capacity for Thai bashing.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

You can say that again but so many people posting here, not you, do tend to have irrational tendencies, an inability to read and comprehend that well and an innate capacity for Thai bashing.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of compulsive trolling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Still WON'T Bring The People who were Killed Back...........Will It ??

No but with less money in the bank it might teach the family some ethics, and the daughter to be responsible for her actions, I don't think her family will be spoiling her so much from now on !

53 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Do you think that selling land and getting paid for it is something that happens instantly?  They borrowed this money from relatives as a last resort.

You believe this family couldn't get any money together after 9 years?

Assuming the story is true that they didn't have any cash lying around (which I highly doubt) it's funny how they didn't think of borrowing the money from relatives until the social media storm blew up 2 weeks ago. Yeah, probably pure coincidence that the money directly followed the social media shaming.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

When the Supreme Court is involved, it's decision and timing is the only one that counts.

Let’s go through this slowly for you. They were ordered to pay a long time ago. They didn’t. That’s why the Supreme Court ordered them to do so. 

Your average Som Chai doesn’t get to avoid paying their fines.

Good people don’t behave like this. Avoiding paying this compensation is what immoral people do. That’s why it had to go to the highest court. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Funny how they couldn't find they cash until they were shamed on Facebook a couple of weeks ago.

Now as if by magic, 42 million Baht appears complete with a celebrity to hand it over like someone just won the top prize on "If the Price is Right". 

What a family. 

Shamed on Facebook, how appropriate is the name of the social media platform that Thai hiso and authorities respond to. 

Why on earth would a television presenter get involved in this mess.

To the family i just remind them what goes around comes  around, there daughter will be be the ruin of there family, yes face is a big thing but there utter contempt for the minions is beyond approach.

you can be sure this terrible day was not the first time there daughter drove a car and i do not believe that parents dont pick this up. 

That horrible family continues to show how awful they really are by not even having the decency to make the payment themselves (and take an opportunity to give an apology for kind of people they are).

Instead, they get some minor celebrity to do it for them. What they thought it would accomplish is beyond me, and I can only assume that the kid who agreed to represent the family is is either a close friend to them or is just desperately trying to get more time in front of the camera. It makes both parties involved look bad, and I can't understand why anyone would want to be associated with the Devahastin Na Ayudhyas after they've proven what human garbage they are. 

After delaying payment for over 9 years, I think they would have been been better off to make it as low key as possible and not remind us once again what pieces of ^%#* they are. 

Looking at the cheques and the faces I start to get to terms with the fact, that there is a price tag on everything in this country, even on innocent lives. 

It is also understandable, that it took nine years for the compensation; after all the poor child had to work very hard to save that money first. Absolutely mind-boggling, the little spoilt brat did not even have the courage to be present and hand over her hard earned money herself. 

I am - unfortunately - absolutely sure that we shall be hearing more bad news from this little nuisance to humanity. 

In a civilized country the public prosecutor would absolutely ensure that she would be reprimanded to the fullest force of the law, but in Thailand ......... Good luck - for her - that she did not kill any of my relatives or loved ones! 

It appears the Supreme court rejected the appeal of the Appeal Court's ruling and the final verdict was given by the Civil Court back around November 2015. Thus payment was probably due a little under 4 years ago.

Court orders Praewa's parents to pay 30 mln baht compensation for fatal car incident in 2010

By webfact, November 26, 2015 year.

. . .

Earlier The Appeals Court sentenced her to two years in prison for reckless driving that caused nine people dead when a taxi van fell from the expressway after it was rammed by her car almost five years ago.

She appealed to the Supreme Court. But her appeal was rejected.

The Supreme Court said in its statement there was no significant evidence to reverse the ruling on August 2012 by the Central Juvenile and Family Court that sentenced her to three years in prison but commuted by one third to two years in prison.

The juvenile court granted three-year probation for her prison term, and mandated her to three year behaviour control, 48 hours of working to caring road accident patients, and report authorities every three months.

She was also banned from driving until she is 25-year-old.

It seems like payment was made 9 years after the incident, and 4 years after the final ruling, once the new threat arose in late July 2019 of land being seized by the Legal Execution Department after Aug 28 2019 for auction .

Compensation coming next week, Praewa’s family tells victims

. . . (7/23/2019) . . .

Earlier on Tuesday, Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin, meeting a Thammasat University legal team aiding the victims, urged Praewa and her family to quickly sell their land and pay the compensation.

If they did not, he warned, the Legal Execution Department would seize the land on August 28 and put it up for auction.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373502

Hope there's no delay or inconvenience in the funds being disbursed.

What a loathsome family and what a despicable spectacle this has turned into. A TV host, a beaming judge who states that 'Society should consider the situations of both sides' and they STILL come up short.

Even more disgraceful is that Kanchai  (one wonders what his fee was) state that 'The family of Praewa did not show up at the Civil Court on Tuesday because it was inconvenient to do so and they had apologised to the victims of the crash. An apology makes it OK then does it?

Total scum who have tried to twist this to make THEM look the victims and have never shown any true remorse.

On 8/6/2019 at 12:35 PM, CharlieH said:

Would have been better if the family or the girl gave it to those affected personally, to show their regret and remorse for what happened. Not a media opportunity to save face and family name.

They would deem that a loss of face. Better to get a celeb to do it for them.

This whole thing has been a farce from beginning to end, but I am glad to see the families are now FINALLY rceiving compensation.

As a previous TV member has already pointed out, it won't bring back the dead, but it might help the families to cover the cost of the burial, put another child through school, etc. 

On 8/6/2019 at 1:23 PM, Briggsy said:

He is not there to "make a big show out of it". He is simply employed to be there. It was not his decision in the same way an actor playing a "baddie" is not actually a baddie. 

I don't fully understand the dynamics at play on this one but I do know it is public pressure and reputational damage control that are driving Praewa's family to finally pay the compensation due. They are not scared of the legal repercussions because people like them are above the law in Thailand. Thus, perhaps, the ostentatious and public presenting of the cheque is related to reputation and portraying the family as good people.

Or all of the family members too frightened to personallY turn up. Rent a mob with basball bats or guns is cheap and easy to organize in LOS.

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Or all of the family members too frightened to personallY turn up. Rent a mob with basball bats or guns is cheap and easy to organize in LOS.

Not in this case. Victims were middle class. Cheque presentation was in a controlled inside environment. The ultra-rich always ensure they have security, both police and their own. I think it is just about keeping out of the limelight and avoiding looking even worse.

I try to avoid the phrase, 'loss of face' as it is grossly overused and misused but in this case it applies.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

Just now, Briggsy said:

Not in this case. Victims were middle class. Cheque presentation was in a controlled inside environment. The ultra-rich always ensure they have security, both police and their own. I think it is just about keeping out of the limelight and avoiding looking even worse.

How true.

A side point just after this all happened the slightly older brother was reported to have tried to tell the girl and her parents they should be much more humble in the way they were acting and speaking.

The media picked it up and he repeated all of this to the media, then never heard of again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

How true.

A side point just after this all happened the slightly older brother was reported to have tried to tell the girl and her parents they should be much more humble in the way they were acting and speaking.

The media picked it up and he repeated all of this to the media, then never heard of again. 

It has been reported the 16 yr old now 26 has not shown remorse

On 8/6/2019 at 12:25 PM, CelticBhoy said:

Never thought I'd see this day.

Glad it has finally arrived.

Huge relief for some, I'm sure.

I still wouldn't trust that family until the check was actually cashed and the money deposited in the victims own bank.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Almer said:

It has been reported the 16 yr old now 26 has not shown remorse

Why should she ? She is a member of the Thai Elite, her real Father being a senior military man (and you know where their tongues are),  who consider that any Thai peasant killed, whether by road accident or otherwise, is inconsequential and hardly worthy of a second thought.  Thais of a certain level can murder and maim and get off almost scot free, yet the real Thais, the normal poor folk that make this nation what it is, will get a prison sentence for stealing mushrooms, such is the despicable and immoral attitudes of many Thais