Don't believe an immigration officer's words unless it's in writing.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

Maybe not, but it is the fault of incompetent and unduly complex immigration practices.

Any proper system would have a written procedure in place for every eventuality and would stick to the procedure rigidly nationwide. Here it is all done on a whim by individual officers, with no paper trail at all. That is entirely Thailand's fault.

What I wanted to say is that this lady at the immigration is not Thailand. Thailand is more. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I fail to see how immigration is in the wrong or that they've told you something incorrect. They told you that they would give you an extension if you got the MFA stamp; they didn't guarantee that the MFA would give you that stamp, as that is completely out of their control.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Myran said:

I fail to see how immigration is in the wrong or that they've told you something incorrect. They told you that they would give you an extension if you got the MFA stamp; they didn't guarantee that the MFA would give you that stamp, as that is completely out of their control.

The officer gave bad advise .

The OP was silly listening and overstaying, being on overstay and trying do legalities of paperwork never a good thing as has too many ways turn into a bigger mess and original office you dealing with generally won't be helpful in correcting issues that arise ...

also, don't assume any rules need to make any sense.

and don't ever take the easy route out by allowing an officer to instruct your Thai wife with the details, instead of talking directly to you, and then assume your wife fully understands what is involved, or is any better than you are, at getting a handle of what is needed.... before it is too late or, at the least, leads to a stressful situation.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thailand said:

As a matter of interest has anybody ever had an immigration officer write down anything that could be used as "evidence" at a later date?

Must be a jobsworth thing so I would doubt it.

Jomtein Immigration issue new extension applicants with a letter telling them the date to report for a bank book check of their 800K and what is required of them, so to answer your question;  yes. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jojolion said:

Yeah I was going to leave, but the school I worked at convinced me to stay as they said they would talk to immigration and try to get something in writing that I could stay until then. I told them to make sure they ask clearly so I wouldn't be blindsided. It seems they couldn't get anything in writing but they assured me that immigration told them there would be no problems with my overstay. Some good news is, it seems the school will help me with the overstay fine.

if that's the case and the school was aware of the risks, than ask the school to pay the penalties for the overstay

• Like 1

This illustrates, once again, two rules that should always be borne in mind in Thailand:

• Never assume that a Thai official knows anything that does not directly relate to the service they provide themselves. This is true regardless of the confidence with which they express themselves.
  • There are no consequences for a Thai official if they screw up, unless they do so in a way that causes their boss to lose face. You, on the other hand, will often need to bear the consequences of their mistakes.

I sympathise and, if this had happened to me, I would not be happy. However, anyone with long experience in Thailand will have found your story unsurprising. Unlucky: think of it as a learning experience.

In the future, immigration may use this longish overstay as an excuse to be strict with you in marginal situations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Maybe not, but it is the fault of incompetent and unduly complex immigration practices.

Any proper system would have a written procedure in place for every eventuality and would stick to the procedure rigidly nationwide. Here it is all done on a whim by individual officers, with no paper trail at all. That is entirely Thailand's fault.

Nope, it´s always the fault of the person that makes the bad judgement of overstaying. Actually an IO that recommends a person to overstay should be reported. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Jomtein Immigration issue new extension applicants with a letter telling them the date to report for a bank book check of their 800K and what is required of them, so to answer your question;  yes. 

And that would be to that persons benefit how? That is not related to the OP.

13 hours ago, jojolion said:

Yeah I was going to leave, but the school I worked at convinced me to stay as they said they would talk to immigration and try to get something in writing that I could stay until then. I told them to make sure they ask clearly so I wouldn't be blindsided. It seems they couldn't get anything in writing but they assured me that immigration told them there would be no problems with my overstay. Some good news is, it seems the school will help me with the overstay fine.

If you recall I told you what happened to me and even with a letter from immigration captain I was still charged for 9 days overstay. And it was the very same immigration office in Pattaya . Even if you had it certified , immigration still would have charged you for overstay ????

jojolion;

Thanks for the report. Chalk it up to lessons learned. In your case, as is the case in most, only you suffer the consequences of the actions. The pro side is your school is "helping" with the fine. The con side is you now have documented an "overstay". Can't undo the past.

Thanks again for posting your experience, it will help some folk in the future. "Lessons Learned". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

And that would be to that persons benefit how? That is not related to the OP.

I answered the question asked by the poster.   I do wish that people would actually read the posts. 

• Confused 1

On 8/10/2019 at 6:14 PM, Thailand said:

As a matter of interest has anybody ever had an immigration officer write down anything that could be used as "evidence" at a later date?

No, but I have had on a few occasions immigration officers work overtime to help unravel some mistakes that I made and assist me in my visa adventures... they have always been polite and helpful.. 

• Like 1

As with many things in Thailand it was most likely intial incompetence followed by malicious enjoyment at the sight of someone suffering.

And to all those who say it is your fault, please explain when you should follow the instructions of a Thai IO and when it is safe to ignore them?