How often do you visit a dentist in LOS?

Isaanbiker

As little as possible  - as you cannot trust these private dental clinics as they are just in it for the money

Take responsibility for your teeth - eat no sugary foods or hard foods that grind down or break your teeth. Brush and floss on a regular basis particularly prior to going to bed at night.

Last time was over a year ago -  broke a small piece of tooth (with peanuts) on a back molar. Visited a couple of dental clinics both wanted to pull the tooth and replace  with a implant or an expensive bridge. Cost between 20,000 to 30,000 baht.

Finally found a dentist that was prepared to resin fill it, like what they use to do before dentistry became away to get rich,   cost 500 baht

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a molar removed last week, not something I want to repeat often mind you. The female dentist was really excellent, it was out within 5 minutes of me sitting in the chair -- 800 baht. 

I try to go every 6 months for a routine checkup and clean and more often only if required although it usually ended up being about 8 months if I forget to book.

Find a good low cost independent dentist, the bigger brand chains charge much more. 

A family member had a tooth out last week in the UK costing 70 pounds so my 800 baht bill was very cheap in comparison. I will always have dentistry done in Thailand for lower cost, high quality treatment.

At my age, and with a history of a few periodontal issues, I go as often as I would in the US:  once every six months for cleaning and check-up. 

I have a local independent woman dentist (ten-minute walk from my condo) and have every confidence in her for the basics.  I trust her recommendation for emergency work if needed, but for crowns or other major stuff that isn't urgent, I hold off until the next vacation in the US. 

2 hours ago, rumak said:

Good advice in all medical situations.  I don't hate doctors, but I don't blindly follow their advice either.  Like in any profession, there are good ones and bad ones ....and even the good ones can make mistakes

Positive thinking seems to help. I only got the wrong tooth done, but others lose the wrong leg, or arm. If it's something serious, it's always good to seek a second opinion.

Not only doctors make mistakes, I guess we all do from time to time and some even marry the wrong wife. 

44 minutes ago, rocketman777 said:

As little as possible  - as you cannot trust these private dental clinics as they are just in it for the money

Take responsibility for your teeth - eat no sugary foods or hard foods that grind down or break your teeth. Brush and floss on a regular basis particularly prior to going to bed at night.

Last time was over a year ago -  broke a small piece of tooth (with peanuts) on a back molar. Visited a couple of dental clinics both wanted to pull the tooth and replace  with a implant or an expensive bridge. Cost between 20,000 to 30,000 baht.

Finally found a dentist that was prepared to resin fill it, like what they use to do before dentistry became away to get rich,   cost 500 baht

" My dentist" would have told you to go for a crown and charge you 5,500 baht for one. Last time it was 4,500 baht.

The problem with crowns is that their material is harder than a tooth is which might cause new problems.

I can't afford golden ones to be precise. 

47 minutes ago, rocketman777 said:

True! but we are supposed to have blind faith in these people! Doctors and Dentists are in the profession to make money, it pays them to find fault, even when its not there.

I have always been very cautious about the intentions of these people, the worse I have come across was in the UK, when I was young I ended up with a mouth full of obnoxious mercury fillings that my dentist liked to change as often as possible - until he was prosecuted for fraud - that was over fifty years ago, sure nothing has changed.

8 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

" My dentist" would have told you to go for a crown and charge you 5,500 baht for one. Last time it was 4,500 baht.

The problem with crowns is that their material is harder than a tooth is which might cause new problems.

I can't afford golden ones to be precise. 

I had a palladium crown fitted a few years ago. The metal is soft but cheaper than gold or platinum. Root canal and three visits later was about 10,000 baht in total.

(well at least they told me it was palladium it could have been made from anything for all I know)

Brush and floss teeth twice daily with electric toothbrush,last time I went for clean and scale,asked dentist about next time for checkup,tells me come back in 12 months,but everyone is different,depends a lot on the type of food you eat,eat a lot of sugary stuff expect more teeth problems.

1 hour ago, Oztruckie said:

Brush and floss teeth twice daily with electric toothbrush,last time I went for clean and scale,asked dentist about next time for checkup,tells me come back in 12 months,but everyone is different,depends a lot on the type of food you eat,eat a lot of sugary stuff expect more teeth problems.

And of course, smoking isn't helpful at all. 

I'm quite happy that I've started my Oddysee last Sunday that will continue coming Sunday with an open end. The pain is only for a few hours if all goes well. 

IMO, it's gruesome to see some black stumps, no matter if it's a male or a female. I am not even talking about the odor now. 

If you let yourself go in a way that you don't care about your teeth anymore, you can't have a healthy self-esteem.

Teeth are not rotting within one year. Why do people check certain animals' teeth before they buy them? Makes sense, doesn't it? 

Camel.jpg

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

I've never been to a dentist in Thailand. In my personal ranking, Thai doctors (including, but not limited to, dentists) are ranked as "use in an emergency only". I simply haven't had such an emergency yet.

If I were you, I'd at least go for a check up. Ask foreigners where they go to, believe me there are some good dentists. 

Get them cleaned might hurt a bit and it's really cheap compared to other countries.

If there's a problem it can be stopped now before you go through a serious root canal treatment which really suc_s?

When I had this done, I had tears in my eyes but not because I was crying, the pain was so intensive that I wanted to run away. 

Are you up for something like that? 

1 hour ago, The Old Bull said:

Is there anywhere in LOS you can get a screw in tooth for a reasonable price. They have jacked up the prices in the last few years as if the USA was their only competition. Eastern Europe is half the price.

If you mean implants they are indeed expensive in Thailand, the main cost being the implant itself which is imported .

Lowest cost would be at a government dental hospital such as Mahidol but even there may cost as much or more than in  eastren Europe.

https://dt.mahidol.ac.th/en/hospital-phayathai-campus/

Youy might want to look into India, many people go there for this.

11 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

If there's a problem it can be stopped now before you go through a serious root canal treatment which really suc_s?

When I had this done, I had tears in my eyes but not because I was crying, the pain was so intensive that I wanted to run away. 

I had a couple of root canals done. They were entirely painless, as indeed were all my extractions and implants.

Between that and having the wrong tooth crowned by mistake, I think you made a very bad choice of dentist. Try another one.

20 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I had a couple of root canals done. They were entirely painless, as indeed were all my extractions and implants.

Between that and having the wrong tooth crowned by mistake, I think you made a very bad choice of dentist. Try another one.

Had to have a root canal done, was concerned about pain, due to good anaesthetic injections by a competent professional, I felt absolutely nothing.

18 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Had to have a root canal done, was concerned about pain, due to good anaesthetic injections by a competent professional, I felt absolutely nothing.

Ditto me, severa root canals over the years. No pain past the initial injection.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Ditto me, severa root canals over the years. No pain past the initial injection.

It "went on my nerves", so to say. I know that ladies are often much stronger when it comes to pain. Thanks for your input. 

5 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Could you please explain that for me? What kind of gel???

Lidocaine gel , put on the gum prior to injection, wait a few minutes, and even the very fine needle is not felt.

Obsessive about my gnashers - I cannot bear to even talk to someone with rotten or yellow teeth, which sadly too many brits have. Age is no excuse for poor dental hygiene at all!

I have an amazing dentist here, small elderly lady that I would trust with my life, has never hurt me once despite one very difficult problem where a crown had moved and created a gap which was constantly getting inflamed - she actually saved the money for two replacement crowns by creating a hard gumshield which I had to wear for a month overnight and reinforcing one edge, with what looked like fillings material to push the tooth over time back into place - genius !!

For some reason her injections don't hurt either here (when I first saw her she said you'll be wanting injections being a man !!) - whereas in the UK they would smart !

An extremely fit receptionist that doubles up as a dental nurse completes the experience !

I've just lost my provisional fitting that was done last Sunday.

I'll see her on Sunday to get my teeth cleaned, but will in the future go to the local hospital. I've only heard good things about them. 

I'm certain that the local hospital is also much cheaper. 

Archived