Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

2 hours ago, geisha said:

For 27 million, you can buy a super business , restaurant, bar, etc in the South of France in a great location, earning you lots of euros !! 
Not only S of France of course, loads of great places with lovely weather , where you can actually earn money !!!

Absolutely ! You would have to be a multimillionaire to buy it , to be that stupid that fortune could only be made from an inheritance. 

2 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Absolutely ! You would have to be a multimillionaire to buy it , to be that stupid that fortune could only be made from an inheritance. 

I remember laughing at double units for sale on LK Metro freehold so you own it for 4 million what a massive mistake that was.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:03 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Mickeys Bar in New Plaza was being stripped of its fittings when I passed by yesterday.

End of an Era.

Mickey bar from what I understand ,Mickeys health has caught up with him,going with son,wife? to UK on 12 next month,but bar has been taken over.....bloody miserable place

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, El Chapo said:

I remember laughing at double units for sale on LK Metro freehold so you own it for 4 million what a massive mistake that was.

I started this thread way before the virus was discovered, when closures were slowly happening, albeit steadily happening, but now, should we enter a prolonged shutdown, you can expect the LK Metro and Soi Baukaew area to look quite different when the virus has passed, and normal trading resumes.

Many members would have lost their favorite bar and/or restaurant, or a bar or restaurant they frequented often. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 11:32 PM, El Chapo said:

I remember when they first built Soi Borkhow road you could get a 4 storey shophouse there for 1 million baht.

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

Many members would have lost their favorite bar and/or restaurant, or a bar or restaurant they frequented often. 

You wish, as finally after 63 pages somebody would collapse the floor in a fetal position and just cry little eyes out. But as nobody had any fave bar or restaurant, you changed the definition to "frequented often." We had only one poster who frequented places nearby, but there are several, so seems he won't be hurt either. 

Sorry.

22 hours ago, Leaver said:

I started this thread way before the virus was discovered, when closures were slowly happening

Slowly? .... bars & restaurants have been closing for as long as I have been in Pattaya.

I miss the Kilted Piper the most ????

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

You wish, as finally after 63 pages somebody would collapse the floor in a fetal position and just cry little eyes out. But as nobody had any fave bar or restaurant, you changed the definition to "frequented often." We had only one poster who frequented places nearby, but there are several, so seems he won't be hurt either. 

Sorry.

No.  I don't wish. 

We all like Pattaya, that why we choose to live here.  I like the choice and variety here.  I would like to see the Pattaya economy thriving.

I started this thread when western tourists were drying up, and Pattaya was was catering for the Chinese and Indian market.  Many establsihments catering to westerners were for sale, or closing. 

I didn't change my definition.  I kept the same definition, and added another definition.

The thread is even more relevant now, since the virus impact.

Do you seriously think many of the popular bars and restaurants, and a lot of the smaller ones, will still be here after the virus has finished?  I don't.  Will we all still be able to have a beer and get laid, of course, but many of the bars and restaurants that we have become so acustomed to will not be here.     

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Slowly? .... bars & restaurants have been closing for as long as I have been in Pattaya.

I miss the Kilted Piper the most ????

You left a little off my comment.

I said, "I started this thread way before the virus was discovered, when closures were slowly happening, albeit steadily happening"

Closures were slow, but steady.  Then, during the course of the thread, the for sale signs started going up, rapidly, on many establishments.

Now, with the forced closures, it's anyone's guess what places will be open 3 months from now. 

It has been debated whether a sale and "renaming" of a bar is an opening, or a closure.  It's not a net gain, but not a loss, however, I think you will see many closures, and sales and renaming, in the near future, and I make this comment as virus imapact related, not pre virus.

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

You left a little off my comment.

I said, "I started this thread way before the virus was discovered, when closures were slowly happening, albeit steadily happening"

But you seem to think this is a new phenomenon.

8 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

But you seem to think this is a new phenomenon.

Of course closures are not a new phenomenon, but the amount of closures, and the type of establishments that were closing, Eg. Pig & Whistle, was new, at the time I started the thread. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Wrong on both counts.

I don't thinks so.

For several reasons previously mentioned, Westerrn tourist were not coming to Pattaya in the numbers they used to, well before news of the virus. 

There were several articles in the news section on TV about.  For once, Thai's were even criticizing other Thai's about it in the media.

Bars and restaurants were empty, with a lot of For Sale signs going up, and some closures, some of which were establishments that had been around for well over a decade. 

Wasn't it yourself that posted of a bar being given away for free?

Fast forward from the time I started this thread to the present, and the virus will change Pattaya's hospitality and retail landscape over the next 12 to 18 months considerably.  

Perhaps there will be a thread, "Do you expect your favorite bar or restaurant to open again?"   

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

I don't thinks so.

For several reasons previously mentioned, Westerrn tourist were not coming to Pattaya in the numbers they used to, well before news of the virus. 

Sure, there was less tourist, and there was less bars & restaurants to cater for those tourists.

And just like this year, there were closures and openings back then also.

Bars and restaurants were empty, with a lot of For Sale signs going up, and some closures, some of which were establishments that had been around for well over a decade. 

As it always was.

Wasn't it yourself that posted of a bar being given away for free?

Not sure how that is relevant?

Whether a bar is sold, changes hands, given away, or closes, it's nothing new to Pattaya.

3 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Sure, there was less tourist, and there was less bars & restaurants to cater for those tourists.

And just like this year, there were closures and openings back then also.

There were significantly less western tourists, but the the overall tourist numbers were up, back then.

That meant contracting bars and restaurants catering for westerners, hence, my thread and thread title.

Just now, Leaver said:

There were significantly less western tourists, but the the overall tourist numbers were up, back then.

That meant contracting bars and restaurants catering for westerners, hence, my thread and thread title.

Back when?

As it always was.

Not this time around.  They weren't new bars or restaurants bought by dreamers with a new Thai hooker girlfriend.  Many were long established bars and restaurants that had previously survived downturns, but closed.

5 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Whether a bar is sold, changes hands, given away, or closes, it's nothing new to Pattaya.

A long standing bar, given away for free, is not relevant.  Rubbish.  It goes to show no buyers in the market, because the market was on the slide. (pre virus) 

Just now, Leaver said:

Not this time around.  They weren't new bars or restaurants bought by dreamers with a new Thai hooker girlfriend.  Many were long established bars and restaurants that had previously survived downturns, but closed.

As there always was, maybe you just have not known Pattaya long enough to understand this?

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

A long standing bar, given away for free, is not relevant.  Rubbish.  It goes to show no buyers in the market, because the market was on the slide. (pre virus) 

A long standing bar that probably changed hands, and names what .... at least 6 times?

As I said, what does it matter whether it was given away for free, or just closed?

The only difference was, the staff kept their jobs which was what the owner wanted to happen, instead of just closing and everyone losing their jobs. That is the only difference I can see.

2 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

As I said, what does it matter whether it was given away for free, or just closed?

Well, let's see.

A bar is purchased with MONEY. 

The owner would like to think that when it comes time to sell, he can sell the bar for some MONEY. 

Alas, not anyone it seems, pre virus.  There is no one to sell to, so you have no way to recoup ANY of your initial outlay, let alone make a profit.

I think that would matter to most bar owners.  Don't you think?

Well, let's see.

A bar is purchased with MONEY. 

The owner would like to think that when it comes time to sell, he can sell the bar for some MONEY. 

Alas, not anyone it seems, pre virus.  There is no one to sell to, so you have no way to recoup ANY of your initial outlay, let alone make a profit.

Butchers Arms > Prime Burger.

Tourist numbers were up in August 2019?

This is what I said: 

"There were significantly less western tourists, but the the overall tourist numbers were up, back then."

Since you seem interested in "relevancy."  How relevant is the virus impact on my thread title, and I don't mean the forced shutdown. 

I can see many owners just walking away.  What about you?

That's not the bar we are discussing, is it?

But an example of a bar changing hands for money in your time frame, which you are trying to claim does not happen.

Don't know about you, but I think I could name a bar/restaurant that changed hands for money every year for the past 30 years.

1 minute ago, TaaSaparot said:

Open your eyes, and will see it has already happened, but then that happens every year anyway, so ..?

Nah, not this time.  The virus will see a collapse in the hospitality sector, nation wide. 

Less and less westerners coming here, pre virus, was seeing a slow, but steady, decline in establishments to cater for westerners here, but the virus will see hospitality establishments decimated. 

There would be only a small percentage of establishments that will be around when this is finished, and even then, that's if they are prepared to stay in the game that long for Pattaya to get back to normal operation.