Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

On 9/12/2020 at 1:22 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Yet, this is not what I am seeing and hearing.

There is business operators out there looking for premises, because they believe in the future of Pattaya, and now is the time to invest.

Lol, you're not even in the country!!!!   "Seeing and hearing", give us a break what you really mean is "from what I've read online".   When were you actually last in Pattaya? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

Lol, you're not even in the country!!!!   "Seeing and hearing", give us a break what you really mean is "from what I've read online".   When were you actually last in Pattaya? 

Given the number of daily walk arounds from the multitude of Pattaya youtubers, I can understand that some might almost consider themselves as based in Pattaya.:biggrin:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

How's domestic tourism this weekend?  ????

Don't know about Central Pattaya but Jomtien beach road was surprisingly busy yesterday afternoon. A lot of big tour buses with older Thais, a couple of convoys of them came along while I was having lunch. Certainly an improvement for a normal weekend. 

3 hours ago, kinyara said:

Don't know about Central Pattaya but Jomtien beach road was surprisingly busy yesterday afternoon. A lot of big tour buses with older Thais, a couple of convoys of them came along while I was having lunch. Certainly an improvement for a normal weekend. 

We are talking about the crumbs.  The hospitality industry here can not survive on them.  Not even the establishments catering for Thai's.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kinyara said:

A lot of big tour buses with older Thais, a couple of convoys of them came along while I was having lunch. Certainly an improvement for a normal weekend. 

It was just a few buses going past. Takes me back to when I was a kid and watched the Wallace Arnold coaches going past on the motorway packed with old dears. They didn't really go anywhere other than drive the old folks around the country but the older generation love to look out of the window while sucking on their Werther's Original and that was a nice day out for them.

You can't class a few busloads of Thai pensioners as bringing much financial benefit to the local economy, can you? They might not even be stopping.  

2 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

It was just a few buses going past. Takes me back to when I was a kid and watched the Wallace Arnold coaches going past on the motorway packed with old dears. They didn't really go anywhere other than drive the old folks around the country but the older generation love to look out of the window while sucking on their Werther's Original and that was a nice day out for them.

You can't class a few busloads of Thai pensioners as bringing much financial benefit to the local economy, can you? They might not even be stopping.  

At HH, they make a noticeable appearance for about six hours Saturday afternoon, but their expenditures are more like pensioners (minus the bar bin), than like international tourists.  

Edited by moontang

7 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Could well be and certainly better than nothing but my point stands. Half a dozen busloads of Thai pensioners aren't going to save Pattaya irrespective of what TAT thinks.  

I agree, and as you mentioned, they may not really stay in Pattaya.  

As it goes in the song Hotel California, "You can check out anytime you like, even though you never stayed."  ????

Today I went to Soi Post Office. The pizzeria on the left side is closed and I am not sure but I had the feeling that the McDonald's on the right side was closed too - I didn't look long because I had other things to do. But what was still there at both sides of the Soi was this motorbike rental shop. I never saw there so many motorbikes standing around. 

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

But what was still there at both sides of the Soi was this motorbike rental shop. I never saw there so many motorbikes standing around. 

The ripple effect, unfortunately. The tentacles of the ripple effect reach far and wide and a very sad state of affairs.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oldie said:

Today I went to Soi Post Office. The pizzeria on the left side is closed and I am not sure but I had the feeling that the McDonald's on the right side was closed too - I didn't look long because I had other things to do. But what was still there at both sides of the Soi was this motorbike rental shop. I never saw there so many motorbikes standing around. 

The bike rental there has been quiet all this year pre covid, god knows how they remain in business, you'd think they'd have loans, must have 40+ bikes sitting there and no customers 

22 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

It's looking pretty bad in Soi Diamond now, with the Diamond Hotel itself closing.

And now I see Swiss Food Restaurant has also closed.

I seem to recall that being closed in February, nothing to do with Covid

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2020 at 10:36 AM, scubascuba3 said:

The bike rental there has been quiet all this year pre covid, god knows how they remain in business, you'd think they'd have loans, must have 40+ bikes sitting there and no customers 

Maybe they are selling more than bike rental out of the shop.  

• Confused 1

On 9/4/2020 at 3:48 PM, Leaver said:

Do you think they will open again?

Not really for years. But there were too many bad  mediocre bars here anyway so there had to be a culling. Now the bars are playing more Thai music and they are all the better for it. Service is better. Drinks are cheaper. All in all an improvement. The lack of soccer hooligan type tourists has also improved the bar scene during these covid times. Last weekend WS was empty of Indians and Chinese but bars and clubs were busy..More busy than this time last year..Low season pre covid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nout said:

But there were too many bad  mediocre bars here anyway so there had to be a culling.

Not a good look for the city, having many commercial premises closed and gathering dust.  

With so many vacant properties, they can't all cater for the Thai market.   For how long do they remain vacant, eventually becoming derelict?

Edited by Leaver

On 9/9/2020 at 1:43 PM, kinyara said:

Back on topic "closures", I noticed this morning the Pig & Whistle in Jomtien is now a confirmed closure with a big For Sale/Rent sign over the front. I guess they are accepting the high season tourists & snowbirds aren't getting in this year. That litlle stretch of businesses to the corner looks bad, with the same  sign outside every alternate one. 

It has been awful for years. The one in Soi Buakao also closed as had the one in Jomtien. The SB branch was dismal 15 years ago. Its now a busy burger joint and had a revival  during lockdown and curfew due to the growth of Treeton.

On 9/4/2020 at 10:09 PM, Leaver said:

The only place I can see they will build it is that huge block of land that is between Beach Road and Second Road that has been left idle for years.  

You call it a "game changer" but no one knows what the "game" will be in 2024, let alone if Pattaya will still be in the game by then.  

It's a kids water park <deleted>! Nothing to do with Pattaya night life.

27 minutes ago, kinyara said:

I think you are stopping traffic and discussion rather than generating it.   

It's not about generating discussion.  I can do that with few abusive or inaccurate posts, before they are deleted by the Mods.

It's about members posting their observations, experiences, opinions, and views, as I do, and will continue to do. 

No one is forcing you to post on this thread.