Army to auction dogs that failed commission tests

webfact

Army to auction dogs that failed commission tests

By The Nation

800_fdee86e92fd0e15.jpg?v=1565757554

The Royal Army Veterinary Corps will auction off 15 puppies and 66 adult dogs that failed to meet the criteria for recruitment to be trained as military dogs.

The bidding will be held on August 17 at the centre in Tambon Nong Sarai in Nakhon Ratchasima’s Pak Chong district, Colonel Thavorn Ruamsuk, commander of the Military Dog Training Centre of the Army veterinary corps, said. 

Thavorn denied that the dogs to be auctioned off, have been in service and are being decommissioned at their retirement age, as has been alleged by a group of dog lovers.

The group of dog lovers recently cried foul on Facebook, upset that the veterinary corps would allegedly sell retired military dogs instead of providing the best of care for them during the last days of their lives after they had served the country.

Thavorn said no decommissioned dogs will be auctioned off in this group. The dogs that to be sold on Saturday are those that failed to pass the criteria to be recruited for military dog training.

They will be four German Shepherd puppies and 11 Labrador puppies, whose starting bid prices will be Bt4,000 to Bt10,000. They are between three and eight months old and have not yet been sterilised.

He said 66 dogs with ages between 11 months and three years will also be auctioned off. All have been sterilised. They are 59 German Shepherds and seven Labradors and their starting prices will be Bt2,500 to Bt6,000.

Thavorn said these dogs were screened out during the puppy training programme. Although they are not suitable for military training, they can be best friends for members of the public, Thavorn said.

He said the veterinary corps need to sell the dogs to recoup some of the costs of caring for them and to free up accommodation for dogs in service.

Proceeds from the bidding will be credited to an Army account for use for matters related to military dog training. Part of the money will be used to take care aged dogs that have been retired from military service, he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374730

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-14

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expectations of price are high. I bought my German shepherd as a puppy ; he has the genuine paperwork that he is a pure bred from a number of imported champions, has a micro chip in the ear and tattooed number/name in case I lose him, all medical shots. 14,000 baht. They are hoping to start at 10,000 baht for a 3 month old GSD with a failed test and no much evidence of medical shots???

1 hour ago, jvs said:

I would love to ;test';some of their dogs,have seen them work and i was not impressed!!!

Agree have a Thai women friend who had her Labrador trained by the Airforce for many months. No discipline, does what it wants.

5 hours ago, looking for LIFE insurance said:

I sincerely hope they all find good, loving, forever homes. Dogs are amazing, especially if for children and lonely single people.

My question is, what happens to the dog or dogs that remain unadopted after the auction?

They will be cocking their legs up against inactive posts.

I sincerely hope they all find good, loving, forever homes. Dogs are amazing, especially if for children and lonely single people.

My question is, what happens to the dog or dogs that remain unadopted after the auction?

Sent to an inactive post one would assume. ????

dog.jpg

I disagree, they are dirty, smelly and often a noise pest as well sometimes dangerous.

Sold to a Chinese restaurant ????

Potentially lethal, you could be buying a ticking bomb.

An auction with probably no knowledge if the dog has behavioural/medical issue etc, totally unknown quantity, not something I suggest a "responsible owner" would entertain, especially if they have children.

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Potentially lethal, you could be buying a ticking bomb.

An auction with probably no knowledge if the dog has behavioural/medical issue etc, totally unknown quantity, not something I suggest a "responsible owner" would entertain, especially if they have children.

Have 3 big ones they ensure we dont get visitors from rats snakes cats children, people with children and most Thai people.

well worth their feed!

49 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I disagree, they are dirty, smelly and often a noise pest as well sometimes dangerous.

Got to agree with you, especially so in Thailand, worse damn animals of all. Every day, all over the world there are dog attacks, sometimes ending in human deaths, they even attack children in their owner's family. 

9 minutes ago, TSF said:

Got to agree with you, especially so in Thailand, worse damn animals of all. Every day, all over the world there are dog attacks, sometimes ending in human deaths, they even attack children in their owner's family. 

Probably more humans killed and injured on daily basis by other humans than by any dog or any other animal 

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Expectations of price are high. I bought my German shepherd as a puppy ; he has the genuine paperwork that he is a pure bred from a number of imported champions, has a micro chip in the ear and tattooed number/name in case I lose him, all medical shots. 14,000 baht. They are hoping to start at 10,000 baht for a 3 month old GSD with a failed test and no much evidence of medical shots???

Can you pm contact info for them. I’m interested. Can’t imagine I would have any chance at the auction. 

As far as i know these dogs are all sniffer dogs,used to find explosives or drugs.

Some dogs do explosives and others do drugs or money searches.

I have not seen the police or army do crowd control with biting dogs.

That is a whole world in it own.

If you buy a dog there you may end up with a dog that has done obedience and other basic training.

Do not expect anything fantastic.The rejects must be pretty useless if they want to sell them to the public.

Better start with a pup and teach it what you want from day one.

"The Royal Army Veterinary Corps will auction off 15 puppies and 66 adult dogs that failed to meet the criteria for recruitment to be trained as military..."

I'm sure if they weren't so hard up, there would be more soldiers failing to meet the requirements, and the bids definitely would be much lower than what is going to be bid for the dogs. 

2 hours ago, looking for LIFE insurance said:

Dogs are amazing, especially if for children and lonely single people.

1. Not so amazing running loose on roads; bringing down motor cyclists; causing cars to swerve into pedestrians; defecating every/any where; spreading diseases (like rabies,); disturbing sleep with constant barking/howling.

Archived