TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners

webfact

2 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Farangs cannot change Thai laws, but we possibly can make a show of our importance to Thailand's economy.

We might be able to show this if farangs do the following for 1 month:

• do not pay their gf's
  • do not send any money to Thai families
  • do not make any large purchases or rather spend as little as possible for 1 month
  • ??? anything else

Just tell the girls that we don't have the money this month.

The problem with this kind of thinking is that most of us are connected to Isaan families, and Bangkok Thais couldn't give a shit about Isaan people, in fact probably want them kept poor and controllable. So us supporting them is actually going to make them more likely to want to get rid of us...

• Haha 1

It doesn't really matter if the TM.30 isn't going away completely. The fact that people have showed their displeasure will at least send a clear message to the authorities that they need to make things more streamlined.

If the TM.30 can be reliably and easily finished in a couple of minutes using an app, it's not really going to present a problem. Hopefully, the petition and the attention regarding this will lead to a functional app that everyone can use.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Quite rightly and there's no reason that IB should change Thai laws and lessen the requirements for foreigners just because a few foreigners would like it that way!  No other country would do it, why does anyone expect Thailand to do so?

No other country, bar the likes of China and North Korea, etc, would be doing something like the TM30 anyway. Your point is completely moot. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wmccpa112253 said:

stating that you can live in the house for life;  THEN do you and/or your wife still have to report your location via the TM30?

Yes, the TM30 is to know your whereabouts every 24 hours. A police state won't get that kind of detail from a tabien bahn.

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

They love to see us making all those efforts just to be able to stay in Thailand. If we start to praise the TM30, they'll probably abolish it.

Yes now that you mention it, it does seem like they derive some sick and perverse pleasure out of seeing us jump through hoops of fire just to stay in Thailand. Couple that with the rhetoric that Thai society is somewhat infantile and lacks confidence, and it all makes sense to note that all this is being done to validate and legitimise themselves. Not unlike how the average Thais compete for social medial likes just to validate themselves and give them the false sense of 'being liked by many'.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

It’s their country, it’s their laws, if you don’t like it stay home or move to another place..,.you aren’t gonna change their rules. Waste of time for ole Issan farang’s with nothing else to talk about! 

Gawd bless you, and please accept my own personal thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to impart your insightful information. Very much appreciated.

• Haha 1

Must abide by the rule of the land. If dont like it then leave. I will also expect foreign residents of my country or everyones country to abide by the rules.

The TM30 rule is ok to have a confirmed and verified permanent address. However, it is not convenient at all if a person stays out of province even for a single night at private property. This gives impression that it is all about ABNB.

In all civilized or uncivilized (one can determine themselves) countries, foreign resident only register a permenent verified address only and are free to move in the whole of the country regardless of staying at a private or commercial property.

Did the petitioner or the members of foreign correspondent club mentioned this to the authorities during this famous meeting? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

No, my country doesn't ask me to report to immigration when a foreigner stays in my home in the UK. 

Ah, but what about if you put your wheelie bin in the wrong place or you can't close the lid and it risks an overspill? Then you're bang to rights without a leg to stand on! Ha, ha, - touche!

1 minute ago, Odisan said:

Ah, but what about if you put your wheelie bin in the wrong place or you can't close the lid and it risks an overspill? Then you're bang to rights without a leg to stand on! Ha, ha, - touche!

yeah  much better to just throw it in that vacant  lot or  off the back of the bike ha ha ha touche....even when its radioactive

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Ignorance of the law is never an excuse. It is the responsibility of a farang to aquaint themselves with the regulations of a country in which they CHOOSE to live.

True, but it is or should at least not be the farangs duty to control that the people in the country he choose to live in follow the laws, and it should not be his problem if they obey to follow the laws. 

55 minutes ago, chuang said:

Because Thaland belongs to THAIS..:WPFflags:

The reasoning behind TM30 was once again put down to national security and was needed in order to fight terrorism and other crime ..... so you are saying there are no terrorists in Thailand/Thais and they are not a national security concern,

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

No one is complaining about having to have registered their address. Immigration wanting to know our address is completely normal. We do this when we re-new and we do it again every 90 days we stay here.

The complaint is about wanting us to report our exact whereabouts every time we travel outside of our provinces. Nothing more. 

Yes exactly what I stated but my last 2 para is for the foreign correspondent club member if they asked immigratio on this.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Though I don't understand most of that I think you don't understand what the thread is about. But I reckon you are great at bowing eh... ????

Curtsying more  like????

thought  youd  like  that  one  trans

Edited by gunderhill
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Odisan said:

I think few sensible people are arguing about not abiding by the law of the land (I'm certainly not), but rather about opening a dialogue about the purpose and the effect of an antiquated law that suddenly seems to be jumped on, has hits the news, and for whatever reason or reasons we don't know about.

When people can see the benefit of it, they can understand it; yet, despite the meeting last night, the same-old answer of 'National Security' just seems like a catch-all, blanket statement to quell discussion: the ones TM30 targets aren't likely to be the same who the authority are claiming to be the ones threatening National Security. From my military days and studies of history, terrorists aren't traditionally known to lodge their whereabouts with the authorities. Not the successful ones, that is.

Unfortunately, and as a result, and regardless of whatever you call it, that's not discussion. 

"Excuse me, waiter, my food tastes bad."

Waiter tastes it... "Tastes okay to me."

End of discussion.

Neither solves nor advances anything.

Sure, it's only my adopted country, but that doesn't mean I can't voice an opinion. Whether it's listened to or not is beside the point.

Today it hasn't been. Tomorrow's another day.

True Sir and if some sensible people keep on reminding immigration that nothing similar happens anywhere in the civilized or democratic countries then they may reconsider reporting night(s) out of province or at private property. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

There are millions of people coming over the borders from neighboring countries,like Burma,Laos and Cambodia. Thai government doesn't have a clue about their whereabouts. They are also foreigners like us. UK doesn't have that problem.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What I'm saying is that it is what it is and we either abide by it or leave LOS. Bitchin' on here isn't going to make them change their minds.

So you mean that if you are sitting on a beach eating a sandwich and get it full of sand, you not complain, just go on and enjoy your food?  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1