TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners

webfact

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

You can travel freely here to as long as you live up to the requirements and go by the rules. Regarding the cells. Do you have own experience of searching after thoose, or is it only a thought like you write?

No, you can't. Look up the word 'free'. Recording your whereabouts online or in person isn't freedom. If you forget to do it, you get fined.

In the real world, you don't just get to say what you like and have people believe you. Life doesn't work like that. You will get called out when you're talking b*****. 

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that Hard they say!! What they don't understand it's a big inconvenience to long term Expats, change the minimum hours from 24 to 72 hours to complete and allow local Police Stations to accept and turn into the Province Immigration Offices.

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

But nowadays Thai are protesting and making petitions and are gaining some ground for real change rather than from the old days as it was not suggested nor feasible.

Yes, but these are Thais ... there might be slow progress.  I agree with you.

But for Farangs, let's be honest, it was a nice try ... but a few more decades to go before any of this changes, if ever.

5 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Replying again...

The link sent takes me to a page that does not allow for downloading the app.

Specifics help people help you. What does "not allow for downloading the app." actually look like?

I'll take a guess on it saying something along the lines of not available in your country. If so, create a new Thai based account to download (the app is geoblocked, no doubt due to the fact it is of no use to anyone outside Thailand ... problem being, most foreigners would have an account set up in their own country originally).

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

This is based off what? Real experiences or wishful thinking? 

Right, but on the website you inform users that their information is being processed. You state this will take seven working days. So, why does mine still say “waiting for approval” after three weeks? If I submitted the wrong documents (I submitted the ones you asked for) you should have checked within the seven days you stated and changed my status to “failed - incomplete or wrong documentation”.

If you have a full-time job and a life, if you like to travel around Thailand and spend money in hotels, etc, the one thing they seem to want people to do. If you have applied for a username and password and your status hasn’t changed, how on earth is any of this really not that hard?

Well put!

7 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You can travel freely here to as long as you live up to the requirements and go by the rules. Regarding the cells. Do you have own experience of searching after thoose, or is it only a thought like you write?

Though I don't understand most of that I think you don't understand what the thread is about. But I reckon you are great at bowing eh... ????

1 minute ago, TG911 said:

Yes, but these are Thais ... there might be slow progress.  I agree with you.

But for Farangs, let's be honest, it was a nice try ... but a few more decades to go before any of this changes, if ever.

Yes, we are in our own category with them. All one can do is a little hope here and there. 

LMAO [emoji38] I knew it now even immigration is getting fed up with all the whining and complaining and now even immigration is saying “jeez it’s not that hard to do” and it’s really not this has been a rule for years. Immigration didn’t start enforcing the rules very strictly till this year. In fact I just did my most recent 90 day report this morning and again it still wasn’t a problem and last week we spent almost a week traveling up north. Although I never had to show my passport to anyone for hotel or lodging the people who ran the cabin up in the Hill Tribes Villages didn’t ask and obviously our family didn’t ask either when we stayed at their house up in the mountains. But that was not my first road trip around here. It’s just business as usual with immigration right now I don’t understand all the hype about the TM-30.

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes, we are in our own category with them. All one can do is a little hope here and there. 

yes, xenophobia, plus all that bowing down, pee here, pee there, the obey for uniforms and higher ranked or richer people, hammered in from childhood, is all just too deeply embedded in this culture. Let's be realistic about this.

I personally would have loved to see a different outcome of this, but it was never going to happen.

went to Mahasarakham immigration for a 60 day exstantion to visit my wife.all went well and quick. Then there told me to genet door to do the TM 30. ok i give him my passport ,oh you never registered your address .i sad NO , okay 1600,- bath fine. there where 6 people before me and paying the same but thais to pay for people from other asian country's

on my part i didend mind, because i never in 10 years paid anything ,and this stems the way. i ben told, steh away more then 24 hours from my address register again. Bs 

In the bigger scheme of things, Khun Thatchapong is right. It really is not that hard especially once we're past this stage, it all becomes an automatic ritual, and the website and mobile app get past the teething problems and everything works smoothly. We are guests here after all, and the onus is on us to respect every single house rule. We should not be moaning like we are right now. I get that. And I think most legit foreigners here do.

But, it is not so much the reporting, but the general feeling that foreigners are 'guilty until proven innocent', that is unpleasant. The whole TM30 malarkey is in-your-face, brazen and crude, and makes foreigners feel like they are criminals on parole. The entire exercise, coupled with the constant and general disdain for foreigners whether spoken/written or implied, has suddenly turned Thailand into a very cold and unwelcome place. The xenophobia is becoming increasingly unabashed, and more public, by the day. And then they top it with a lame-dick excuse of "... national security... to fight terrorism and other crime." How many foreigners have threatened your national security in the last decade? As I have always said, the Thai's do an excellent job at threatening their own national security, without any help from foreigners, as recent and not-so-recent events have shown.

2 minutes ago, TG911 said:

yes, xenophobia is just too deeply embedded in this culture. Let's be realistic about this.

I personally would have loved to see a different outcome of this, but it was never going to happen.

Xenophobia is such a nice way to put it. I watch it in school with my kids. Only got better as time went by as my kids are 24, 18 and 16 now. The fat xenophobic fat lady has not completely sung yet. Let's wait and see.

You staying up in the hills is very different to most of us. The thread is not for you is it..?

I’ve been living in Korat for the last 5 years we were traveling around Chiangmai for most of last week. If we ever move or buy a house though I’ll be sure and do another TM-30 in the last 5 years I’ve only had to do one and it’s only a one page document. If they ever want me to do another one for whatever reason ok it just takes a few minutes.

2 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

I’ve been living in Korat for the last 5 years we were traveling around Chiangmai for most of last week. If we ever move or buy a house though I’ll be sure and do another TM-30 in the last 5 years I’ve only had to do one and it’s only a one page document. If they ever want me to do another one for whatever reason ok it just takes a few minutes.

Takes a few minutes eh, are you special, they come to your house..?

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So why did the Thai hero of democracy didn't scrap TM30?

Because it was applied correctly back in the day. For long termers that means only filing the TM30 when you change your premanent adress, which is still the situation in Jomtien. They just want to know where you normally reside in Thailand. Not at all unreasonable IMO.

1 minute ago, picctrainop said:

I went to Chiang Mai from Hua Hin and back again. I didn’t bother with the form and nothing was said as they didn’t know. I suppose that if you don’t tell them they won’t know.

If you stayed at an "honest" hotel immigration will know as you will have been reported. Well that's how the system is meant to work....

Takes a few minutes eh, are you special, they come to your house..?

No I live in Korat so they’re never very busy it’s just a one page form I’ve done it before it only takes a couple minutes at immigration. I’m always in and out fast. Honestly this whole thing is just dumb.

I went to Chiang Mai from Hua Hin and back again. I didn’t bother with the form and nothing was said as they didn’t know. I suppose that if you don’t tell them they won’t know.

I know neither do I on road trips this whole thing is just nonsense I don’t even pay attention to it anymore.

Archived