Building house in issan

Roni61

Hi

I want to build house in rice farm of my girl friend near sisaket.

Do i need goverment approval on the house plan before start build ? 

Also, i will be happy to get recomondation about architect and building company in sisaket /  ubon area..

Thanks

Roni

gf's family is in the process of concluding the purchase of 10 rai in the countryside.  she is to get 1/2 rai and wants to build a house.  sure, we can do that, but.....   they're getting the land surveyed next month and will divide.  they even have some "sor por gor" ownership papers!

no, maybe not.  that's agricultural land, given to poor folks by the government, that can not be sold, only given to heirs, and only for the purpose of farming.

oh, she says, that's just the law, doesn't matter, thai people buy and sell this land all the time.  yes, they do, until the government goes to survey the land and provide actual deeds, and then it's chaos for the community.

can't see how it could go well for a foreigner.  gf would have a house, but no title to the land.  how will she get a housebook with no title, and how can she report me on a tm30 with no book?  and how long will a foreigner be allowed to hang out in a mini-mcmansion in an agriculture zone?

i told her to keep looking for some land with a proper title.

gf's family is in the process of concluding the purchase of 10 rai in the countryside.  she is to get 1/2 rai and wants to build a house.  sure, we can do that, but.....   they're getting the land surveyed next month and will divide.  they even have some "sor por gor" ownership papers!

no, maybe not.  that's agricultural land, given to poor folks by the government, that can not be sold, only given to heirs, and only for the purpose of farming.

oh, she says, that's just the law, doesn't matter, thai people buy and sell this land all the time.  yes, they do, until the government goes to survey the land and provide actual deeds, and then it's chaos for the community.

can't see how it could go well for a foreigner.  gf would have a house, but no title to the land.  how will she get a housebook with no title, and how can she report me on a tm30 with no book?  and how long will a foreigner be allowed to hang out in a mini-mcmansion in an agriculture zone?

Wise words. We call them ‘Farang Monuments’. They abound all the villages, if you look carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Roni61 said:

Roni, you have received about 10 replies, some justifiably cynical, others giving advice. You haven't stated anything more than you are going to build a house in a rice field for your 'girlfriend'. Do you plan on building a modest dwelling in keeping with the neighborhood, or will you be erecting the quintessential Isaan Palace? No doubt you are sincere, but is your 'girlfriend'? And of course she will want a house to crow about, as they all do. Are you budgeting in excess of 1 million baht? 

If the tambon is unincorporated, usually you can build without 'city hall' approval,but it will still be in your interests to get several estimates and some local farang advice.  You already know that if you and she have a falling out, you get to drive back to Bangkok with your bags. Good luck out there, it's a paddy field.

Roni

here is your company as they building house currently to sisaket for other "farang" and they head designer is Thai with exelent english and all contracts and paperworks are done in English as well.
here is the link of the hosue they are building in Sisaket currently 
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1102458-need-a-builderdesigner-in-the-ubon-ratchathani-area/?do=findComment&comment=14324603

and here is they own Facebook page where you can find his phone number and if you want send message all in english.
Lifestyle Builder

16 hours ago, Roni61 said:

Hi

Also, i will be happy to get recomondation about architect and building company in sisaket /  ubon area..

Thanks

Roni

Yes you do.

Whether you can get the permit or not depends on the type of documents you have for the land. The highest (actually the only real freehold ownership) is the chanot or N.S.4. Then it goes lower with N.S.3, 2 and 1 which are basically based on different types of land surveying and have some limitations on them. Other "ownership" documents are basically a permit to USE the land under some conditions but are not real ownership.

The steps you have to go through are:

1. Go to the O.B.T (tambon/sub district, or in some places tesaban) with the land documents and ask if you can get a permission to build (if it is a chanot or N.S.3 you can skip this step. For any other type of document better check before you go on spending money and time for the next step)

2. Get a house plan - you can draw it yourself, download ready made plans or get an architect to draw for you.

3. Go to the O.B.T (as in step 1) to see the chief engineer, give him the plans and the land documents. You should get the signed approval within a couple of day normally (costs about 500 THB) 

Then you can start building.

Once done, you go to the village chief to get a document from him about the house completion. In some cases the chief will also allocate a house number for you, in other cases that will be done on the next step.

Once you have this document you go to the ampue (district offices) where you will be issue the house registration (blue book).

With the blue book you go to the PEA to get a permanent electricity supply.

As for builders - I suggest checking around your local area for recommended builders. you can go to the local building supplies shops and ask who they recommend, then contact 1 or few of those builders and ask to see some of their work in the area. In most cases it is better to use a local builder rather then bring someone from far away.

Good luck

Hi

Thanks

Roni

Pop into one of the established farang restaurants in Sisaket as they are usually a good source for local info. Peter at Hong Kong Garden or Frank at Living in the Past know a lot about the locality.

I just "remodeled" a house in city center Sisaket (near the train station) which was basically a tear down. We didn't need government approval.  The question did come up.  It's easy enough to go to the housing authority and ask.  As for land titles, we are going thru that now as well, in a rice field just down the road from Big C.  No chanote when we bought the land; however, the guy next to us just sold his land; and, they are dividing it pretty much as you described.  Those broken up sections are being given titles.  Turning farmland into a housing area seems to be the deciding factor; so, I think you should be good buying land without a title.  Best source of information is possibly the poo yai bahn for that area. Having said that, the person who really knows is the guy from the land office who comes out and surveys the land.  We sat down with him the other day and he pretty much has all the answers.  His phone number is 086-7083635.  I would have your gal call him to get answers to all your questions.  FYI land is really expensive in Sisaket with farmland going for 1 million baht per rai (or more); and, that is quite a distance off the main road(s). It's less in some of the more remote areas; but, still 2-3 hundred thousand per rai.  Good luck

More info.  There is an architect office just down the street from the Sisaket police station (same side of the street). Having said that, as basic as most Thai houses are, do you really need an architect; especially, if you don't need the govt to approve your plans.  I made my own.  As for the builder, we used a guy named Suan, him and his wife are the pain part of the company plus they have 4 or 5 guys to help.  Best part about using them is that they show up for work every day.  He lives a few kilos down the road from Macro. He is also poo yai bahn for his area; so, that helps if any questions arise.  His phone number is 062 324 4421. He is willing to negotiate with you; and, is not trying to get rich.  

If i was given 20 K for every house a Ferangs built by the River with no land title over the last 30 years ,yet paid her parent for free land id be driving a Lambo by now.!. All gone home Skint after finding out too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

17 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

how will she get a housebook with no title,

She don't need a title to get a blue book, the house book has nothing to do with a title, just so you know. It's just registering your address, I say that because my wife has some land which is vacant and the builder who built our house (nice guy) was thrown out of his wife's house and asked my Mrs if he could build something small at his cost to live there till he sorts his life out, granted, he also asked her if he could register his address there, i.e. remove his name from the wife's now X wife's blue book and have his own blue book at my wife's land, granted.

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

She don't need a title to get a blue book, the house book has nothing to do with a title, just so you know.

Just out of interest, no idea myself how that works exactly. 

But your missus already had a house book, based on what? On a valid title deed? What are the requirements to get a blue book?

Is it really important that he has built a little tent on the plot?

This guy might just as well have moved in one of the rooms of that house temporarily and could register his address there?

1 minute ago, TG911 said:

Just out of interest, no idea myself how that works exactly. 

But your missus already had a house book, based on what? On a valid title deed?

Is it really important that he has built a little tent on the plot?

This guy might just as well have moved in one of the rooms of that house and could register his address there?

From what my wife tells me, is that you have to have a house there, that said, he built a little one bedroom house with external bathroom, no living area, it's probably about 4 x 4 excluding the external bathroom, he had the electricity connected and the water and then applied for the blue book.

The above said, my wife says you have to have it completed before you can get the house book, so once his g/f has him build the house, she can get the house book and register him on that and he can then apply for a yellow book if he so desires.

I hope he doesn't go ape on the house because the last guy up the road spent 12 mi including the 2 rai, house was only a 4 bedroom single level house, so he got ripped hard, anyways, after 5 years she pi$$ed him off and he has returned to his homeland with stage 4 cancer, that's the story anyways.

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

From what my wife tells me, is that you have to have a house there, that said, he built a little one bedroom house with external bathroom, no living area, it's probably about 4 x 4 excluding the external bathroom, he had the electricity connected and the water and then applied for the blue book.

Ok, thanks for clarifying, that was the missing part ... he subsequently applied for his own house book for that little building on your wife's plot.

I build/paid for a BANGalow on the wifes chanote land in Issan.  Been 3 years now and no problems. I reckon after another 4 years the house doesn't owe me a satang.  At that time I will still be under uk national retirement age so can look forward to cheap living.  Conversely, the scare mongers will be wondering where next months rent money is coming from.

13 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

I build/paid for a BANGalow on the wifes chanote land in Issan.  Been 3 years now and no problems.

Little bit of a difference is that it's your wife. One would assume that you have chosen a bit more carefully to whom you get married and naturally, you are more committed to it. Building a bungalow in this case is not the end of the world. 

(Hope this doesn't open a can of worms now;-)

47 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

She don't need a title to get a blue book, the house book has nothing to do with a title, just so you know. It's just registering your address, I say that because my wife has some land which is vacant and the builder who built our house (nice guy) was thrown out of his wife's house and asked my Mrs if he could build something small at his cost to live there till he sorts his life out, granted, he also asked her if he could register his address there, i.e. remove his name from the wife's now X wife's blue book and have his own blue book at my wife's land, granted.

it's all very confusing..........i was thinking specifically of "sor por gor" agricultural land, with a use permit, not a title, still in the name of the original family, (illegally) sold numerous times, now "belongs" to her uncle.

seems like too many potential (actual!) problems.  it don't matter if thai people do it alla time.  i'm not thai people.

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

it's all very confusing..........i was thinking specifically of "sor por gor" agricultural land, with a use permit, not a title, still in the name of the original family, (illegally) sold numerous times, now "belongs" to her uncle.

seems like too many potential (actual!) problems.  it don't matter if thai people do it alla time.  i'm not thai people.

I come from a property background, that said, my wife lived with me overseas for 9 years and when we looked at buying the land to build "her house" on, from my pocket, we purchased a piece of land from her grandmother, (not real grandmother), but close family.

She assured me that no one could take the piece we live on because everything is registered with the mayor and the grandmother will, will the land to her many kids who can then apply to have it subdivided, they won't do it now as it will cost too much, it's not the top title, but the middle title, and I had a rough idea how things work here before I spent the 1.5 million building the house, suffice to say we originally built a bungalow on the land back in 2009 and then the house in 2015, so ig the $hit hit the fan tomorrow and we lost it all, it won't break me, that said, I have no leg to stand on if she throws me out, but she has weighed it all up and if she throws me out, she will definitely follow me, because she has only received 1/10th thus far ????  

There is a book that you can purchase about 300 baht i a local bookshop it has pictures and plans of all government approved houses if you build one of these that are in the book I believe that you do not need planning permission 

21 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

You can only build a Sala on tor bor land that’s for having an afternoon nap or having your lunch on this lans is for farming only

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The above said, my wife says you have to have it completed before you can get the house book, so once his g/f has him build the house, she can get the house book and register him on that and he can then apply for a yellow book if he so desires.

I hope he doesn't go ape on the house because the last guy up the road spent 12 mi including the 2 rai, house was only a 4 bedroom single level house, so he got ripped hard, anyways, after 5 years she pi$$ed him off and he has returned to his homeland with stage 4 cancer, that's the story anyways.

I got my blue book when the build was water tight had windows in and the toilets connected it took me a further 6 months to finish it 

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

I got my blue book when the build was water tight had windows in and the toilets connected it took me a further 6 months to finish it 

We need to get an toilet and papers from hospital who come for inspection, before we get house number and electric which we wanted on hour farmland where we have built a small bungalow. Thats what we was told. 

When you say ‘my blue book’, is you name in it as the owner????

make sure your name is on the building contract so you have proof you paid for it and if you dont stay together you can get your money back, well maybe some of it. People are building on a block behind our land and the have a nice  house  with bathroom, living area plus verandas and of course a bedroom, very well spaced out and they told us 600,000 baht all up for everything, excellent price and good materials, we are actually thinking of putting a small house on our land so we can stay there on weekends at that sort of price

Archived