Is Vientiane refusing people with lots of SETVs too?

I tried to apply for a SETV in Savannakhet today and was told I couldn't apply. They said I've spent a long time in Thailand and to try again in a few months.

If you have a booked appointment in Vientiane are they as strict when it comes to turning people away?

I only have one visa from there that is a few years old.

Cheers

36 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

"...to try again in a few months." - meaning?? Stay out of Thailand for 3(??) months, or just don't apply there for the next couple months?

Both, I think.

Like the last poster said 1 every 6 months in Savannakhet.

It looked like they just scanned the date I was issued my last SETV and ignored the fact I squeezed a VOA + extension in there.

• Like 1

I got one on Wednesday too but as the previous poster said,  be prepared and bring everything, including a bank statement,  plane flight out booking within the 60 days and a receipt showing accommodation booking with address. If you have no street address you will be rejected.  Look at attachment. 

Screenshot_20190821-174438_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

"...to try again in a few months." - meaning?? Stay out of Thailand for 3(??) months, or just don't apply there for the next couple months?

What they mean is go to Cambodia, Vietnam or Philippines. 

How much is immigration cracking down flying in and out on the 30 days Visa Exempt? Is there some magic number of entries before they shut me down? I am in for 3 weeks out for 1 week back 2 weeks, gone another week then back again etc etc are they going to bar me from entering at some point? I don't have lengthy stays but many entries as I work around Asia and am spending more time between meetings in Thailand. Always by air never border. 

Edited by Scaliwags66

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm sure they want tourists, after all they have waived the visa on arrival fee again. They're just getting stricter about people attempting to live in Thailand without an appropriate visa/permission to stay. Are there any countries in the world that allow tourists to stay for months on end?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As a matter of fact yes there are many, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm sure they want tourists, after all they have waived the visa on arrival fee again. They're just getting stricter about people attempting to live in Thailand without an appropriate visa/permission to stay. Are there any countries in the world that allow tourists to stay for months on end?

Mexico,Vietnam,Philippians... 

Edited by fforest1

28 minutes ago, Enoon said:

You missed out the "tourist" things......elephant rides, temples, floating markets, 5 days at a beach resort, full-moon party, jetskis, hill tribes, Grand Palace, Mekong Cruise, Emerald Buddha, etc, etc......etc.

You're not a tourist.

You're living in Thailand and using your excessive Western wealth to live the "high life", you need to apply for some sort of long-stay visa.

Application for your 2nd/3rd/4th SETV this year refused.

Get it?

Thats easy to say when your over 50...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Thats easy to say when your over 50...

Stop with the over 50 fight with the under 50. Just buy a elite visa and be done with it. 

While I'm at it in your other post please outline your Vietnam option. I go there every 2 weeks for 7 yr. I need 3 month multi so possible. Means 4 per yr. Nothing easy. 

6 hours ago, sanook 1 said:

Do they really require a flight ticket out of the country for a tourist visa now in vte? 

I provided one because it helps you get the visa. I spent 6,400 baht all up with travel/hotel bookings in order to get the TV. Would you really risk not having one? Believe me,  a lot of people were being rejected because of insufficient documentation.  Just provide everything and you will be ok.

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My Polish friend just had his Thai girlfriend granted a 6 Months tourist visa to visit Poland. I can't see the problem with anyone wanting 2 tourist visas a year to visit Thailand. It's been going on for years. Now you need more documentation to enter Thailand than what you need for the USA. Why?

9 hours ago, TSF said:

You just got to wonder. They want tourists to come to the country and spend money and stimulate the local economy, but they don't want you to come too often. Like what's the issue? All we do is spend-spend-spend. We take taxis, buses, trains, planes....we pay. We eat/drink...we pay...We stay in hotels/apartments/rooms/houses...we pay....We go see movies, go shopping, go to clubs, have a massage, get a gal for the night....we pay, pay, pay. 

There is no problem with coming often if you get the visa in your home country/country of residence and are nto spending so much time here that you appear to live here most of the time (e.g. more than 6 months in a year - not a hard and fast rule but an unofficial flag).

They are suspicious of people who get repeat tourist visas in the region. Specifically, they suspect them of using TVs to live in Thailand . They do not want people to use TVs in that manner.

Plenty of people make multiple short trips a year on TVs with no problem at all. It is when the pattern starts to look like you live here that there is an issue.

58 minutes ago, Ling Kae said:

My Polish friend just had his Thai girlfriend granted a 6 Months tourist visa to visit Poland. I can't see the problem with anyone wanting 2 tourist visas a year to visit Thailand. It's been going on for years. Now you need more documentation to enter Thailand than what you need for the USA. Why?

You don't.

And there is no problem with getting 2, 3, 4 even 5 TVs in  year if they are issued from your home country and stays are short. Ditto multiple visa exempt entries by air.

As above, what they are concerned about are people using tourist visas/visa exempt entries to actually live in Thailand. And that concern exists because there are in fact people doing just that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What they mean is, "We're not giving you a visa now and we'll say something to get rid of you and put you off returning any time soon".

Zero guarantee that returning in a few months will be any better...

Edited by mstevens

12 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Most visitors to Canada can get 6 months on a single visa waiver, at that point you can apply for an extension for another 6 months, and again for another 6 months.  Someone I knew from Japan did that quite often.  Immigration had no problems because she had no need to work in Canada... actually, if she did not want to she probably did not need to work period.  (and easily prove that she had the means not to be a risk of working).  I think they actually asked if she wanted to get a longer visa and she had to turn them down... only poor people are 'immigrants' and she could not sully her family name while her parents were alive ????

Edited by bkkcanuck8

10 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Mexico,Vietnam,Philippians... 

Wow, I didn't know that.  So, westerners can just enter on a tourist visa and then live there for months? Is this because there are no Retirement, Marriage or other options?

Edited by brewsterbudgen