Forum upgrade in progress! ×

E-scooter sharing services help people get around in Bangkok

webfact

E-scooter sharing services help people get around in Thailand

As the two-wheelers jostle for space, road safety is becoming an issue

MARIMI KISHIMOTO, Nikkei staff writer

nn.jpg

Neuron Mobility's battery-powered scooters are an increasingly common site in front of Bangkok cafes and in wealthy residential districts.

BANGKOK -- The Thai capital is notorious for its traffic, but jammed roads leave an opening of sorts for electric scooter sharing services, which are catching on in Bangkok.

And while the zippy two-wheelers offer a handy alternative to cars or motorcycles for getting around the city, some people find them a bit scary to operate.

In May, Singapore-based startup Neuron Mobility launched an e-scooter service in Bangkok. Customers scan a QR code with a smartphone app to unlock the scooter and hop on. Riding the vehicles is easy: Step on the scooter, press down on the handle bar-mounted throttle and away you go. The scooters are nimble, with a top speed of 25 kph, though maintaining balance can be tricky at first.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-trends/E-scooter-sharing-services-help-people-get-around-in-Thailand

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2019-08-26

Right!!! ????

So, #1 ride the where? The roads are far too dangerous and the pavements are full of holes, bumps, billboards, food stalls and Japanese ladies! Even without the obstacles, the uneven pavements would ground these things out.

#2 What's the betting you would get half way along your journey and the battery runs out because it wasn't charged properly?

This post has to be a wind up! ????

If they have them in the area of Bangkok I live, I’ll have to keep getting off the scooter every few seconds. It’s hard enough just trying to walk on the pavements here. When out and about walking, I like to pretend I’m Indiana Jones. 

46 minutes ago, 2long said:

Right!!! ????

So, #1 ride the where? The roads are far too dangerous and the pavements are full of holes, bumps, billboards, food stalls and Japanese ladies! Even without the obstacles, the uneven pavements would ground these things out.

#2 What's the betting you would get half way along your journey and the battery runs out because it wasn't charged properly?

This post has to be a wind up! ????

A gang of kids in my soi ride them up and down the soi in the evenings.

They quite dangerous as they are silent and the kids come up from behind at quite a speed

21 minutes ago, petedk said:

A gang of kids in my soi ride them up and down the soi in the evenings.

They quite dangerous as they are silent and the kids come up from behind at quite a speed

Like in Shanghai where all the two wheelers are electric. U take your life in your hands.

No offense to anyone, but folks who ride those things in BKK have a death wish. Even in the States, where road rules rule, they are deadly.

I'm usually all for lazy fairy, but they should be banned.

It's not going to turn out well, expect skyrocketing accident numbers. These scooters are light, soundless and pretty fast. Imagine when they start increase in numbers in Bangkok.....

A country with the safest(?) traffic in the world is already talking about a ban.

https://www.thelocal.se/20190531/swedish-transport-agency-calls-for-ban-on-electric-scooters-after-fatal-crash

I don't like this idea! While visiting the LA Thai embassy , I went to the cinema while waiting for my visa!They have them in the Sunset BLVD area in LA. People ride them on the sidewalks. I find that very unsafe for pedestrians ! It will be a nightmare in BK

55 minutes ago, riclag said:

I don't like this idea! While visiting the LA Thai embassy , I went to the cinema while waiting for my visa!They have them in the Sunset BLVD area in LA. People ride them on the sidewalks. I find that very unsafe for pedestrians ! It will be a nightmare in BK

Yes, because Los Angeles and Bangkok are identical.

51 minutes ago, userabcd said:

These things are a menace on the sidewalks, just last week a group of entitled youngsters racing along the sidewalk on them along Sukhumvit and pedestrians having to move out of their way.

Well that kind of depends on the cooperation of the pedestrians, doesn't it.. these things are not all that stable. Bet they're in for a little surprise soon enough.

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

These things are a menace on the sidewalks, just last week a group of entitled youngsters racing along the sidewalk on them along Sukhumvit and pedestrians having to move out of their way.

Sturdy shoes are underestimated in Thailand....

They are soon to be introduced into Toronto and the government are looking for laws to be implemented to fit their situation.  Having said that, it appears the government does not really understand the potential dangers these vehicles can present.  They travel up to 25 km/h and are relatively silent when being ridden. 

If, or when, they are allowed on Thai roads and sidewalks, and motorcycle "hotheads" get hold of them then the dangers will be added to many fold.  As they are highly maneuverable and that increases the problems associated with them and, as stated by others, the sidewalks are not made for walking on let alone used for riding on even though they are used for such by motorcyclists.  The roads are not safe either given the high number of collisions that occur all over the country on both the roads and sidewalks.

'nuf sed

WE have them in my local hometown in Norway. Very easy to operate, you just download an app and use bluetooth.  The map will show you where the nearest scooters are parked. 
But in a small town with good infrastructure and bicycle lanes, you don't have to worry about the traffic. 
But in Bangkok ??? I am surprised , just waiting for news of the first fatal accident. 

Someone hasn't thought this through. These things are banned in other countries. Here we can snitch on motorbikes pavement riders whilst this eScooter business thinks it can sell itself by putting out news like this!

Maybe of use riding around large private estates but that's all.

18 hours ago, jack7106 said:

Very useful around Pattaya

Really, which part of Pattaya is that?  If you ride it on the main roads it will be dangerous and the sidewalks are full of holes and obstacles.

But Beach road should be okay I guess from N-Pattaya to Central .  

Archived