Newer Sleeping Train

JimmyTheMook

The only thing I noticed on the new train cars is the seat padding is ergonomic but minimal in the comfort department.....

Pleasant to look at, but not quite as comfortable as a decent airline seat.....

If you want a private room/sleeper  compartment , you'll have to book well in advance....Usually, only one or two cars per train....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

I took the new sleeping train one year ago, is it still the same or have they done another new upgrade?

The sleeping train was uncomfortable as the train was rocking all the time. The space was cramped especially if you sleep at the upper deck.

I would prefer the VIP seats on buses instead, they are more comfortable.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

The sleeping train was uncomfortable as the train was rocking all the time.

Long time since I used the train, but by the sound of the above post, the rails are still as bent as a banana. As a result, max speed used to be around 50 mph, so it took forever.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Not only the freezing cold aircon, but beer is now banned on trains. They just don't realise when they screw up what was an enjoyable experience. They have lost income from selling beer, plus what used to be an excellent service.

Yes, it was very sad that a young girl was murdered by a temporary SRT employee, who was not only drunk on duty, but also a drug addict. IIRC he got the job through a family member working for SRT.

The rubbish knee jerk reaction was to ban the sale of alcohol.

What do I know, I'm just a customer who enjoyed the train service twenty years ago, until a couple of years ago and now have to put up with a rubbish service that claims it's an improvement. Pah!

Assuming the new sleeper's have curtain's you can still enjoy a bottle of wine. Or poor it into whatever grape juice bottle and stay seated. without it I would NEVER get to sleep 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The sleeping cabins are transverse, side to side to the tracks, against the direction of the train....With the uneven tracks it makes sleep (the reason for a sleeper) difficult for me.....

It's easier for me to sleep with the direction of the train - although, I don't like people milling about & the luggage within easy reach of passers by.....

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Yes you are correct.  Train travel used to be such fun, so communal and celebratory. There is a joyless,  puritanical authoritarianism ruining Thailand. Petty minded officials and bullies have far too much influence.

Sort of like what the lefties and SJWs are doing to the West then?

At least here I can still ogle the ladies without a pitchfork mob screaming rapistsinnerpervertwhiteprivledge....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, madmen said:

Assuming the new sleeper's have curtain's you can still enjoy a bottle of wine. Or poor it into whatever grape juice bottle and stay seated. without it I would NEVER get to sleep 

I take my own beer with me - even though not just the sale of alcohol has been banned, but the consumption too. I put the cans in a beer condom, then no one can see what I'm drinking.

I’ve taken the trip both ways a few times in the newer carriages - when friends come to visit and want to try it.

I agree that it can be cost competitive when you factor in all the costs of air travel (like cost to/from the airports) but clearly on the time front, flying is still the way to go.

I think that if you can time it right and you’re the kind of person that can sleep on a train, then the overnight can be a decent option to not only get to Chiang Mai, but also eliminate one nights lodging expense as you’ll overnight on the train itself.

I’m not a drinker, so the beer-ban is moot for me, but I do think that they might do well by upgrading the dining options and experience onboard— essentially to match the nicer, newer physical carriages.

So, the way I see it, if you’ve got the time, like seeing the terrain and are ok sleeping on a moving train, I think it’s a good cost-effective and even time efficiency option.

The beds I’ve found to also be on the more firm side, but not so much so as to impede my sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, new2here said:

I’ve taken the trip both ways a few times in the newer carriages - when friends come to visit and want to try it.

I agree that it can be cost competitive when you factor in all the costs of air travel (like cost to/from the airports) but clearly on the time front, flying is still the way to go.

I think that if you can time it right and you’re the kind of person that can sleep on a train, then the overnight can be a decent option to not only get to Chiang Mai, but also eliminate one nights lodging expense as you’ll overnight on the train itself.

I’m not a drinker, so the beer-ban is moot for me, but I do think that they might do well by upgrading the dining options and experience onboard— essentially to match the nicer, newer physical carriages.

So, the way I see it, if you’ve got the time, like seeing the terrain and are ok sleeping on a moving train, I think it’s a good cost-effective and even time efficiency option.

The beds I’ve found to also be on the more firm side, but not so much so as to impede my sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks Sherm, back in the day - did the SLEEPR train all over TH.

Trang & Border Runs to Nong Kai when needed.

Slow AF but where else can you ride the 'Train in Vain'

• Like 2

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

I took the new sleeping train one year ago, is it still the same or have they done another new upgrade?

The sleeping train was uncomfortable as the train was rocking all the time. The space was cramped especially if you sleep at the upper deck.

I would prefer the VIP seats on buses instead, they are more comfortable.

And way more dangerous 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Some travelers are not in a hurry and prefer to be deposited close to downtown, without a b300 taxi ride and the hassle of the airport. Some like to fly, some prefer the trains.

And this is often the advantage of using a fast / very fast train. When I was working in Japan my apartment was 3 or 4 minutes walk from a major fast train terminus, off the train and in the same complex 2 minutes walk to the giant supermarket, lodge by bag, do some quick shopping and the supermarket had a delivery boy service to accompany me with own luggage bags and shopping to my apartment and always the same boy because he spoke a little English and the perishables always immediately put into the fridge, and as you can find in Japan he totally refused to take a tip. But after maybe 12 months I have him a voucher from a sports shoe shop in the same complex. Next time I saw him he pointed to his new sports shoes and gave a very big smile and big thank you. 

11 hours ago, madmen said:

When was the last time a train rolled down a ravine because somchais yabba wore off?

Having once traveled back from Chang Mai by bus....Never again.

Trains are safer but single line track means many halts waiting for some overladen goods train to amble through..

13 minutes ago, p414 said:

Having once traveled back from Chang Mai by bus....Never again.

Trains are safer but single line track means many halts waiting for some overladen goods train to amble through..

I have traveled on Thai trains a lot. I think you will find that, as in most countries where passenger and freight operate on single track with passing sidings at every major station,  passenger trains have priority over freight trains which are mostly short 20-30 cars.

12 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Yes you are correct.  Train travel used to be such fun, so communal and celebratory. There is a joyless,  puritanical authoritarianism ruining Thailand. Petty minded officials and bullies have far too much influence.

20 years ago I used to enjoy eating in the old wooden built restaurant/kitchen cars on the CM route where the food was freshly cooked in woks over open gas burners - and with a full range of beers!

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I take my own beer with me - even though not just the sale of alcohol has been banned, but the consumption too. I put the cans in a beer condom, then no one can see what I'm drinking.

Although I am not a drinker, I agree with what you are doing, I have no time for bullying authorities who make up rules just because they can.

If you don't agree with a rule and you can find a way round it, then break it as long as no ordinary person is harmed.

12 hours ago, madmen said:

There is a (series) of trains that goes from Bangkok to Moscow and can hop on and off for short stays enroute.The website is seat 61 or similar.. on the bucket list

Good luck doing that at the moment....you would have to start from Vietnam. But in the not too far distant future the chinese will have built their (military transport) railway through Laos and on to Thailand, then you will be able to do it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Good luck doing that at the moment....you would have to start from Vietnam. But in the not too far distant future the chinese will have built their (military transport) railway through Laos and on to Thailand, then you will be able to do it.

Yes & flooding the country with people & Chinese products...

Within a short time goodbye Thai culture, values, & independent status....

It'll be a complete economic & cultural take over with no shots fired....And no way to halt it...No other outside influences will flourish.....And no way to stop it...

Thailand will be nothing more than a fertile satellite/subject province of China... 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Not only the freezing cold aircon, but beer is now banned on trains. They just don't realise when they screw up what was an enjoyable experience. They have lost income from selling beer, plus what used to be an excellent service.

Yes, it was very sad that a young girl was murdered by a temporary SRT employee, who was not only drunk on duty, but also a drug addict. IIRC he got the job through a family member working for SRT.

The rubbish knee jerk reaction was to ban the sale of alcohol.

What do I know, I'm just a customer who enjoyed the train service twenty years ago, until a couple of years ago and now have to put up with a rubbish service that claims it's an improvement. Pah!

Not to mention the Disco music, glitter ball hit by lasers, and cramped dancing in the dining car at 9pm on the BKK to CM route.  Was the bomb!