Shipping a credit card to Thailand.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Why have them if you never use them....emergency use only, yes.

If you use for buying on the internet, you simply need the number, date and security number.

Get a scan sent to you.

As said 2 of 3 banks send directly to me and always good to have card in emergency (had to use for a hospital payment one time when did not know local debit card had daily use limit).

• Like 1

From Australia twice I have used international registered post with tracking and rcd within 5 business days without a problem.. The original bank envelope with letter and card is folded into 3 and posted in registered envelope.. 

I wouldn't ever consider wrapping the card in foil because it would ring alarm bells on x-ray machines that you were trying to conceal the contents. Hasn't foil been used over the years to conceal drugs in mail shipments?? And additional delay because most likely will get physically checked, either from your home country or on arrival in Thailand.. 

You CC is useless to anyone anyway until it has been activated on-line. But having said that, if someone has recorded your card details after x-ray check, what's to say there may not be a future attempt to use your card details, after you have activated it.. 

1 minute ago, owenm said:

From Australia twice I have used international registered post with tracking and rcd within 5 business days without a problem.. The original bank envelope with letter and card is folded into 3 and posted in registered envelope.. 

I wouldn't ever consider wrapping the card in foil because it would ring alarm bells on x-ray machines that you were trying to conceal the contents. Hasn't foil been used over the years to conceal drugs in mail shipments?? And additional delay because most likely will get physically checked, either from your home country or on arrival in Thailand.. 

You CC is useless to anyone anyway until it has been activated on-line. But having said that, if someone has recorded your card details after x-ray check, what's to say there may not be a future attempt to use your card details, after you have activated it.. 

Would an x-ray check not delete all the data stored on the strip or chip.

Just a few weeks ago rec'd a US bank debit card mailed to my Bangkok address from my US bank...the US bank mail it registered first class mail.  As already mentioned the card carries no value until activated.

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As said 2 of 3 banks send directly to me and always good to have card in emergency (had to use for a hospital payment one time when did not know local debit card had daily use limit).

Would you mind sharing the bank names?

Tell your bank where you really live, which you are actually required to do so under their 'terms and conditions' and have the bank mail your cards directly to you.

I've been doing this for almost 30 years now without any issues at all.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Tell your bank where you really live, which you are actually required to do so under their 'terms and conditions' and have the bank mail your cards directly to you.

I believe for the USA,some banks not all require a USA residence address,to have a account 

13 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

Recently I lost my debit card (issued by a UK bank) and reported this on line. My new card was sent to a UK address by normal mail. My friend sent it out to me using Royal Mail registered with no problem. 

Would you not have to activate it by using a UK ATM?

Ask your friend to go to an ATM, and change the PIN, then it is done. 

Hope he/she is a VERY good friend and does not empty your account.   LOL

18 minutes ago, riclag said:
21 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

18 minutes ago, riclag said:

I believe for the USA,some banks not all require a USA residence address,to have a account 

The O/P specifically referred to the UK. So am I. Under the UK's banks 'terms and conditions',  the registered address must be one at which you can be readily contacted.

Giving a UK address whilst living abroad puts one in breach of those requirements.

Simple as that.

22 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have just been looking at Royal Mail international tracked, it seems to be the way to go, I checked DHL and FedEx, they seem to be okay but as you say expensive, hopefully my daughter has a post office nearby.  ???? She lives in deepest darkest Devon

I have used International Tracked several times.  Relatively inexpensive and since the package has to be signed for and name of signatory entered on the tracking system.  Once had an issue with a letter going to the UK, which I sent tracked.  I had asked for quite a large sum to be sent to my Thai Bank to pay a stage payment for a construction.  Barclays said they had not received it.  When i checked the tracker system, it told me where it has been delivered, the date, the time and the name of the person.  The Ombudsman ordered Barclays to pay me compensation for failure to carry out my instructions in good time. I closed my accoounts with Barclays!

Edited by robertson468

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

From USA my credit and debit cards are sent normal mail and never had an issue.  Both by banks and 3rd party.  

Likewise. Sent new cards from USA by a fried numerous times without a problem. Activated them on the phone in the past and more recently online.

you might want to switch cards. I get  USA citibank and two USA amex cards shipped directly to my address in Bankok, which they have on file. Amex is a bit easier as they've closed all of their offices and do everything via post. citibank on the other hand seems to be a different company by country but i still get my USA card and ATM posted here no problem.

Edited by pmarlowe

I have been in Thailand more than 10 years and my sister in Canada always send me my credit car renewal using Canada Post Registered Mail. Naturally she use a new enveloppe.

Some of our Canadian bank send the cards directly oversea and some do not.

Thai Post always delivers my mail and I can use tracking on both Postal Service.

I have been receiving my Credit Cards and debit cards from the US and Germany via DHL, FedEx and UPS without any difficulty the last 10 years or so. What one shouldn't send together with the cards is the PIN for such cards. This should be sent separately.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:40 AM, lopburi3 said:

There is very little risk at all as cards are useless until activated and I have to do that via my online account.  As I stated a missing card is easily replaced.

Not necessarily. I have a UK card where routine replacements (to replace expiring cards for example) arrive activated and ready to use...and obviously unsigned.

I agree that they should all need activating and prefer those that do.

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

How much?

Fedex a card from the USA?

Cheaper than DHL?

I think all the U.S. bank cards I've ever arrived here have arrived UN-activated, and require calling in to activate, sometimes only from my registered home phone number on the account, and usually entering in DOB and last four of SSN over the phone.

Pricing may depend on whether you're sending the items as an individual consumer or having a mail forwarding service do it. For my mail forwarding service, Fed Ed Intl Economy is usually somewhat cheaper than DHL.

5 hours ago, VBF said:

Not necessarily. I have a UK card where routine replacements (to replace expiring cards for example) arrive activated and ready to use...and obviously unsigned.

I agree that they should all need activating and prefer those that do.

Yes mine where like that last time....Halifax by any chance?

Have a Nice Day.

Edited by firefox999uk

10 minutes ago, firefox999uk said:

Yes mine where like that last time....Halifax by any chance?

Have a Nice Day.

Ta!  Well there were 2 that did that - neither of them Halifax.

It seems to be the default once the initial card expires and is replaced.

AFAIK Couriers wont handle bank cards.  In the past I had mine posted abroad from the UK by regular mail protected by a card such as a cheap birthday card or cheap thin paperback. Always use a non decorative stamp. In some countries envelops are stolen because of the attractive stamps.

Edited by sunnyboy2018

On 8/28/2019 at 11:50 AM, SteveK said:

Surely the credit card has zero value until it has actually been activated online anyway? You could conceal it inside a CD or DVD case couldn't you? I had a new credit card shipped to me in Isaan last year - however the card had a clause that it had to be activated within 30 days of the bank sending it to my UK address and that period had lapsed by the time I got someone to retrieve it from my house and post it to me here. Called my bank and explained the situation and it worked out OK.

My bank sent it to my Thai address in a simple envelope. It had to be activated,so there's no problem if it got lost on the way.