Bringing bike over to Chiang Mai? and insurance

Jamman5v1

Hi,

Moving to Chiang Mai with Girlfriend. Was going to ship a partial container over by sea. I have a Yamaha TW200 and Yamaha Vino 125 here in USA. Was wondering peoples thoughts on stuffing these 2 bikes into container vs selling and buy 2 there. I know the bikes, so I like the idea of having something reliable. And maybe spending $1000 to get them there is worth the hassle. What do you think? I assume these street legal bikes would pass all emission testing and such in thailand?, but maybe that is another issue down the road is getting plates for them and passing tests might be a pain.

Somewhat related question. I would be coming over on a METV to start (not 50) and would have a cycle endorsed International DP and valid US DL until I get settled and get Thai DL (or attempt to with METV). I assume I cannot get local bike insurance on an Intern DP? (will have health insurance but I think that only covers me in wreck?). Do you think wise to get international traveller bike insurance (kinda like I was going on an extended bike tour) until I get the Thai DL and can get local bike insurance?

Thanks for your time

Darren

Not speaking out of personal experience but as one who has read this form for a few years.

Your best bet is to sell and buy new  here.

When you take in the shipping costs and the incredible and inevitable high taxes not to mention the incredible headache of all the paper work and running around.

I am confident you wouldn't want to start your Thai experience with that kind of aggravation.

When you could simply buy new with no headaches what so ever.

And by the way you most definitely  will need at apply for a Thai DL.

Which won't be a problem with the visa you indicated.

Best of luck.

And I am sure those with more input than I will chime in eventually.

• Like 1

Sell the bikes in the US and buy bikes in Thailand

Vehicles in Thailand need to have compulsary insurance, pays just for medical costs and has quite low limits, this covers everybody riding the bike, even without a driving license.

Driving license requirements for any additional insurance which you might buy depend on the contract, but in general using an IDP is no problem, every insurance company should be fine with it.