UK PM Johnson wants election to purge no-deal rebels: former minister Gauke

webfact

6 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Boris/Tories will win an election very easily.

Shame then their won’t be one - no-deal removal first please ????

Cummings isn’t anywhere as near as sharp as he thinks he is (fancy getting snookered by Corbyns bluff he wants an election without any no deal conditions attached)  and he’s the mastermind behind Boris lol

Edited by Bruntoid

51 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Blondie now a proven liar.????

20190903_185353.jpg.8aedef77ed1133aac09fbdb4abcbb631.jpg

Boris is being caught out lying all the time.  All politicians lie but it is the contents of the lies that matter.  It's the open way Johnson and his chums lie that is shocking.  Raab came out this morning and said that negotiations with the EU were now moving ahead well.  Truth is there are no negotiations going on at all.  Even 10 Downing Street said that negotiations would re-start when their man goes to Brussels next week and yesterday Barnier said they are still waiting for new proposals from Johnson.

Lie after lie after lie and still the hard core leavers take it all in.  Staggering!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Johnson's approach continues to sink the pound with it dropping below $1.20 today.  

I had a drink last night with a neighbour who has a business exporting ceramics that are made here in the UK.  His order book is full to overflowing and he says the best thing for him would be a no-deal Brexit.  I think that is an exaggeration but I can see where he is coming from.  The weak pound means he can compete and undercut most of his competition who are based Europe.  He admits he is very fortunate because all his raw materials come from within the UK meaning he doesn't have to import them.  Needless to say he picked up the bar tab at the end of the evening.

But will  his exports continue under same conditions as  exist until such time Brexit as Brexit  eventuates?

36 minutes ago, JAG said:

Umh, he was nodded through by the executive committee of his local constituency. As he is a long standing MP it is fairly safe to assume that they are "on side" with him. He arranged this in a hurry, because he was fully aware that if it were to be put to the vote of his constituency association members he would be as likely to get re selected as Jabba The Hutt would be to become the quality controller in an ice cream factory!

A great champion of democracy.

He didn't instigate it,Boris may be able to remove the whip from individual members but he can't expell them from parliament and he can't order his constituency to deselect him.Another thing if he wants an election he has to get two thirds of the MPs to vote for it.

12 hours ago, Emdog said:

"Their strategy to be honest is to lose this week..."

When I see "to be honest" interjected in a statement, alarm goes off in my head. Bit of a "tell".

So the rest of the time you're not being honest? Often "to be honest" leads into a big lie. See it quite often with Mr Trump.

Indeed.

It is an oft quoted saying that the only person to ever enter the Palace of Westminster with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

But will  his exports continue under same conditions as  exist until such time Brexit as Brexit  eventuates?

His exporting success is down to the weak pound, he makes no bones about that.  A no-deal scenario would ensure a continuation of that.  He exports mainly to the US and the emerging markets in the far east and Asia. I moved my business to mainland Europe because much of my market is there and I now trade using the Euro.  So far that has worked well for me too.

On 9/2/2019 at 10:10 AM, CG1 Blue said:

Why do remain MPs try to disguise their intentions by saying things like  "those of us who believe we should leave with a deal"? 

He knows full well 'the deal' we were offered by the EU has failed to get through parliament 3 times. That deal isn't going to get any better no matter how many times they extend Article 50!  

1) Did the British EVER come with a proposal, which could pass the HoC ? ? 

I only know: no, no, no, no, no, no, no,

2) When you insist to leave a Union of States, set up to have free movement of goods, people, and capital, do NOT expect they will let you take only ONE oput of them, as only THAT pleases you.

3) When your State signature is in fact worth nothing, and can be waved "good bye" when it suits you better ( Good Friday agreement with ALWAYS an open border between N -S Ireland), do NOT expect your State signature this time will be seen as of real value.

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed.

Katya Adler, the BBC's Europe editor, explained it very well on BBC Radio 2's Jeremy Vine Show this lunchtime.  

In short; as far as the EU is concerned, they have agreed a deal with the UK government which was rejected by the UK Parliament. Therefore it is now up to the UK to produce realistic proposals which can then be negotiated and hopefully those negotiations will produce a deal acceptable to both sides..

So far, despite Cummings' mouthpiece Johnson telling us many times that he has such proposals, he has yet to communicate any of them to the EU!

Although the EU would very much prefer a deal, they say it is up to the UK. They cannot force a deal upon us. In addition, EU law means they cannot postpone Brexit, only we can. If we leave on 31st October with no deal it will be Johnson and his government's fault, and theirs alone.

So Barnier categorically refusing to remove the backstop (which prevents UK parliament agreeing any deal) is "negotiation". 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

If we leave on 31st October with no deal it will be Johnson and his government's fault, and theirs alone.

the 17 million people who voted for that would be mainly responsible though .Boris is just acting as instructed by the majority of the uk populace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

So Barnier categorically refusing to remove the backstop (which prevents UK parliament agreeing any deal) is "negotiation". 

A bargaining tool very similar to Johnson's no deal threat, methinks.

How can anyone negotiate proposals which have not been made. If Johnson wants an alternative to the backstop, he should, nay must, prose something!

The ball is very much in the UK's court. 

Just now, 7by7 said:

A bargaining tool very similar to Johnson's no deal threat, methinks.

How can anyone negotiate proposals which have not been made. If Johnson wants an alternative to the backstop, he should, nay must, prose something!

The ball is very much in the UK's court. 

I agree with that...............IF Barnier's comments are indeed a bargaining tool. Johnson did say, on his first visit on EU territory as PM, that he recognisied that it was down to the UK to come up with new proposals.

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I agree with that...............IF Barnier's comments are indeed a bargaining tool. Johnson did say, on his first visit on EU territory as PM, that he recognisied that it was down to the UK to come up with new proposals.

So where are these proposals?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

The 17 million, or most of them, voted for the Brexit Cummings and his political mouthpieces promised them; ditch the bits we don't like, keep all the bits we do.

that phrase/slogan wasnt on voting forms though and theres no result when i did a websearch . did you make that slogan up yourself?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

that phrase/slogan wasnt on voting forms though and theres no result when i did a websearch . did you make that slogan up yourself?

Of course it wasn't on the ballot paper. Campaign slogans never appear on ballot papers! Indeed, campaign slogans of any kind are illegal anywhere in polling stations.

The comment is based upon all the propaganda produced by Cummings and his political mouthpieces during the campaign.

Some of the main planks of Leave.EU's campaign were

1. no more contributions; though they lied about how much we actually paid:
  2. regain control of immigration; though they lied about hordes of Turks about to arrive:
  3. no more rules made by Brussels; though they neglected to mention the rules are made by elected representatives:
  4. regaining our fishing rights for British fishermen; though they neglected to mention it was the UK government who issued permits to fish in British waters.

I don't recall anything from them about no deal and the results of same. I don't recall anything from them about the effects of Brexit on the Irish border and GFA. But if you can find anything from them about this, please produce it because I can't find it.

• Like 1

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

Yes, 2/3 of MPs need to vote for a GE. However, he only needs a majority of 1 if he calls for a vote of no confidence in himself, as Corbyn has said that there will be no election until a no deal Brexit is kicked into the long grasas, this is what he's planning.

Oh the irony, Boris calling for a vote of no confidence in himself.

Unfortunately, if there is an election then Johnson sets the date.

Despite his talk of 14th October, if he does get an election by one means or another there is nothing to stop him from setting the date for the first Thursday in November; by which time we will be out with whatever deal he has negotiated, or no deal at all!

On his Radio 2 show today Jeremy Vine questioned the Tory party chairmen on this, trying to get a commitment that any election would be on the suggested date; 14th October. Unsurprisingly, he couldn't get a straight answer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1