Four dead, 30 missing as fire sinks California dive boat - U.S. Coast Guard

webfact

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sorry you feel that way, but there are unintended consequences to that phenomena.  This may (or may not) be one of them.

No. DEFINITELY not. It's clear that you just wanted to sneak in a pet issue of yours where it certainly doesn't belong.

• Thanks 1

Only one entrance to the sleeping area, how is that legal?  I also heard that the door may have been locked, and I wonder why?    Tragic loss of lives, and I hope this boat company is now gone for having such an unsafe condition aboard this boat.

Geezer

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Fred white said:

Just because it's water tight don't mean it's air tight a row boat has a water tight hull but it's not air tight

Do you have a point here? I was speaking about the danger of gasses in larger boats. Being asphyxiated by co2 gas because you closed the outside vent, before going to sleep is a sad way to die. Unfortunately, two kids were killed that way in Eagle Harbor couple years back. People do not buy and install sensors for no reason, although yes if you have a row boat, this does not apply.

As for LPG explosions, they happen with a disturbing regularity because that gas is heavier than air. The secondary danger is once fiberglass gets burning it is an inferno and a bitch to put out.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Sorry you feel that way, but there are unintended consequences to that phenomena.  This may (or may not) be one of them.

The simple answer would be that the crew was sleeping up in the wheelhouse/pilot berths, the paying passngers in the better accomadation below, however if you are desperatly trying to tie the "me to movement" to a boating tragedy, hey! there are simple minded prats about, who possibly might believe your bilge. And there you go. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tug said:

No sir there is always 2 exits on an inspected vessel otherwise she isent allowed to operate my (guess) is the fire sucked up the oxygen incapacitating the passengers who knows at this point just a major tragedy (and to the survivors)as well

Apart from the one stairway there was an escape hatch. Both were apparently blocked by the fire.

I remember a dive boat that capsized and sank west of Phuket many years ago, Several passengers sleeping below decks drowned.  I have always considered it dangerous to sleep in the belly of these smallish boats because of the difficulty in escaping if things go wrong.

9 hours ago, impulse said:

At first look, that seems suspicious.  But given that the guest sleeping accommodations were downstairs, and the prevalence of the me-too movement, the crew was probably forbidden from being down there at 3:00 AM.  If it was, in fact, an explosion below, the crew staying topside would have been the only ones in a position to escape.

I'll leave it to the investigation to see if they could have saved anyone, but seeing the molten metal boat in those photos makes it doubtful in my mind.

One crew member died. He was asleep in the passenger accommodation area.