What kind of farangs...

StreetCowboy

Just now, NanLaew said:

The same type of resident they've want since the first Germans unfurled a towel on the sun loungers pool side at the Nipa Lodge in Pattaya before breakfast... the "bring all your money and give it all to a local before you throw in the towel and leave" type of resident.

That would be tourists. I'm not sure they want the same of their resident foreigners; and I think that they understand the difference, since the rules for tourists are so straight-forward, and for residents, less convenient.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tabarin said:

You clearly do not get it, not even close, else you would have understood already / not posted this.

You'll need to explain that to me.

To be honest, I see logic in most of what I see in Thailand, but it is not necessarily the logic that I would apply.

I was driving home from the church one day, and I was baffled by the traffic coming towards me.  "Ah - one way street!" I thought, but the parked cars suggested it was not, as did the traffic also going in my direction.  Flashing headlights suggested I was in the wrong, and suddenly I realised "It's a drive-on-the-right street!" and suddenly, everything went smoothly.  I was incensed by the insanity of having a random drive-on-the-right street for months, years, even, until I considered the local road layout, and how that eliminated two conflicting traffic flows at either ends of the street.  It's still not something I would do, but I can see why they did it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, tabarin said:

You clearly do not get it, not even close, else you would have understood already / not posted this. 
There is no such thing as Thai logic, there is logic or there is not.

Most likely, the guys deciding, never even met with farangs on a personal level. There is no logic behind it, just higher up screaming, lower reacting.

Maybe the people making decisions have different priorities than you; different priorities than you think that they should have; different priorities than you believe that they have.

When I first came to Thailand, the go-go bars in Nana and Soi Cowboy were really quite wild; then Thaksin, man of the people, and a former copper, if I recall correctly, came to power, and the bars were clamped down on, opening hours were restricted, and suddenly prostitution was driven out from behind the heavy velvet curtains and onto the streets, and the number of girls loitering along Sukhumvit Road increased dramatically.  Meaning that the bribes didn't go to the licensing magistrates, but to the beat coppers.  Everywhere you go, there is logic, if you are willing to understand it.

• Like 2

It appears that some nationalities are a little miffed at becoming irrelevant in the scheme of things...  Thailand could bar all Brits, or all Americans, or all French, or.. or.. and lose just a tiny portion of their tourist money. That gives them a lot of power when it comes to who they let in- even allows them to err occasionally.

ThaiTourism.jpeg

Edit:  And don't make me pull out the graphic that shows Falangs aren't really the big spenders when they do come to Thailand...  Because I will...  And it will just upset them even more.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

It appears that some nationalities are a little miffed at becoming irrelevant in the scheme of things...  Thailand could bar all Brits, or all Americans, or all French, or.. or.. and lose just a tiny portion of their tourist money. That gives them a lot of power when it comes to who they let in- even allows them to err occasionally.

ThaiTourism.jpeg.3cdb106d2332f337859b224903bb5837.jpeg

Edit:  And don't make me pull out the graphic that shows Falangs aren't really the big spenders when they do come to Thailand...  Because I will...  And it will just upset them even more.

Nice i am in the touristgroup 18% other. Nice to be in a big group for once.
Probably the group they want. And probably the big spenders... :)
I meet 100 buses with Chinese , at least 2 bus’s loads of Englishmen for every fellow countryman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

not the type that have been coming for decades , that have given Thailand such a negative image. 

Maybe the Thais are trying to clean up the way people see their country. Can't say I blame them.

I understand your intent but........

Probably the best way to achieve that is... change the way it looks/operates. I think much of

what your calling "Thailand's negative image" is self inflicted from way back when...military R&R etc.

But that image your talking about is supported by Thai & Foreigners alike & obviously those in high Thai places could

end it all tomorrow if that is really what they wanted to do.

But lastly not all Thai's nor all foreigners are in Thailand for "that" reason

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

People who understand the difference between tourists and expats/residents

???? I lived in Thailand enough years to know there is no difference between tourists & expats/residents

One just has a shorter tourist visa than the other ???? But all are in fact on "temporary" permission to stay

Seen many long term expats acting out worse than the 2 week millionaires & vice versa of course

• Like 2

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think the Thai Government cares...  Like most Thai's they are indifferent to us foreigners and can take us or leave us, regardless of what we think, we are nothing special and deserve no special rights. 

Like many nations, it seems Thailand has decided to enforce its existing Immigration regulations which for so long people have been making a mockery of. 

Unfortunately many have been caught in the mix with diminishing exchange rates and Embassies which no longer Affirm Documents which cannot be verified (i.e. income).

It seems many have translated the enforcement as 'they [the Thai Government] don't want us', I don't believe that is true. It just means we can enjoy Thailand at our pleasure if we meet the requirements, which if we are being fair are not exactly 'harsh'.

That sort of truth will not go down well

However you are spot on

• Like 2

15 hours ago, timendres said:

I believe this sums it up perfectly. Furthermore, unlike tourists, expats engage the immigration staff. In this scenario, you have a staff wishing to pad their (meager) salaries as much as possible, doing a job that is (quite honestly) miserable. There is no prejudice here (other than for those who make their job even more miserable). You are merely a target. Nothing personal.

Here you are off the mark. I have had numerous Thai employees who exhibit the same level of logical thinking as I have seen anywhere. In fact, I spent an hour today discussing the various plusses and minuses of financing a new house with one of my employees, and his logic was impeccable. What I believe @StreetCowboy is implying is that logic may appear illogical when it is being exercised in a context with which we are not familiar, or with which we are not fully informed.

Your quoting a special case but in general Thais don't show logic or forethought.  its very sad, In school the students aren't encouraged to question what their thought or told.  2+1 = 4 and that it. 

• Like 2