Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JamesBlond said:

It's the People versus Parliament. The point of a referendum is to give the choice on an issue to the people. Parliament has refused to honour that - a very dangerous, totally dishonourable, and quite dysfunctional path.

Parliament hasn't thought this through. If Brexit is not delivered, expect riots. Remainers should understand that before pushing their reckless and inflammatory agenda.

I don't think that there will be riots. There will be a widespread collapse in trust and confidence in our politicians and our political system, already at a low ebb, which will take at least a generation to recover.

I have - God willing - a couple of decades left to me and I cannot see my trust being regained. 

Two decades will probably see a government elected to take us out of the EU. Meanwhile the damage, politically and probably economically, will be colossal. Don't want machine that if we stay in the EU it will be on anything like the current terms.

1 hour ago, JamesBlond said:

It's the People versus Parliament. The point of a referendum is to give the choice on an issue to the people. Parliament has refused to honour that - a very dangerous, totally dishonourable, and quite dysfunctional path.

Parliament hasn't thought this through. If Brexit is not delivered, expect riots. Remainers should understand that before pushing their reckless and inflammatory agenda.

Perhaps you should consider winding in your resort to ‘reckless and inflammatory’ language.

I fear London will soon make Hong Kong look tame. You can't just remove people's democracy because they chose a course unpopular with the elite and benefits brigade. If people are worried about their pensions converting badly to baht just wait until the molotov cocktails start flying. There has been ample chance to deliver Brexit. Due process, peace and democracy have failed the people, what comes next...?
People's Democracy never equalled no-deal Brexit whatever the Hard Brexit crazies were shouting.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

The Tory party has today 22 constituencies without a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate (PPC), I doubt any of them have reserve PPC's, I would assume the selection process will take weeks, and more probable the constituencies will be in total disarray, with members choosing to resign or doing all they can to oppose central Office imposing candidates on them.

When a No Deal Brexit option has been prevented one way or another there will be a vote of no confidence, and I suspect the Tory Party will want make piece the the rebels... 

As Hammond has pointed out, he’s been retained as his constituency candidate and will fight in the courts any moves by Johnson to deselect him.

The idea that Johnson (Cummings) can deselect Tory MPs is not clear cut.

If Article 50 is revoked, we stay on exactly the same terms that we're on now. Just like it had never happened.
Ahh bliss....

Revocation of Article 50 would mean nothing to the UK. It’s only an EU notice which we are long past. We still have the Withdrawal Act which Remainers won’t find so easy to change.

Why would I be crying? It has no direct effect on me as I live in Thailand and earn in Baht and have done for over 12 years. 

I suggest you enjoy your gloating while it lasts though. Brexit will happen in the end, if Remainers want to drag this process on for another couple of years then they can accept the consequences for that but it won't change anything, there is no way this genie is going back into the bottle. You can force delay upon delay, there will be a General Election sooner or later. Revoke? Get ready for Farage, he isn't going anywhere either.

You can only ignore the wishes of the people for so long. If you wish to harm the country by putting it on hold for another 2-3 years while Parliament embarrasses itself then feel free, it won't change the result in the end. 
The People did not wish for a no-deal Brexit.

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

Revocation of Article 50 would mean nothing to the UK. It’s only an EU notice which we are long past. We still have the Withdrawal Act which Remainers won’t find so easy to change.

As we now have a majority in parliament and the country, it will be easy to change.

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I fear London will soon make Hong Kong look tame. You can't just remove people's democracy because they chose a course unpopular with the elite and benefits brigade. If people are worried about their pensions converting badly to baht just wait until the molotov cocktails start flying. There has been ample chance to deliver Brexit. Due process, peace and democracy have failed the people, what comes next...?

The answer to England's woes right now is to send all of the English to Hong Kong.  It would cure both Europe's and Asia's woes at the same time.

I wouldn't build your spirits up too high just yet, your high elation could be a little premature. There were reports of Nigel Farage saying he would not contest any Tory seats if Boris agrees to leave with a no deal, but even without him saying that, the Tories would still be favourites to win a general election, but of course this is according to polls, but we have to have something to go on.
Alistair Birt is the latest to announce he will not be contesting his seat at the next election, he joins a long list of Tory rebels who have said the same, it would appear thay are jumping before being pushed, either way it would be nice for the party to have MPs that share the same values and belief in democracy. Voting againgst your own party and siding with the likes of Corbyn has never been the Tory way, nor should it ever be.

Screenshot_2019-09-03-06-38-13-029.thumb.jpeg.f9de395a590759faca733357eb41e5c0.jpeg
Boris cannot promise Brexit without a deal even if he is explicitly going in that direction.

Out means out,no matter what strings  remainers want to attach,out is out and that is how eventually it will pan out
  Bercow is asking for police protection,I should think so,his own personal health and safety is at risk now, whatever dodges,whatever maneuvers are envisaged  out is out and will be achieved,any doubts? try a bet
Hard Brexit spin does not substitute for the logistics in Parliament.

If Brexit were cancelled, that would matter to me since I believe in Democracy and that democratic votes should be upheld, especially when backed up by manifestos, general elections and legislation. However it is abundantly clear that Brexit is inevitable, it's just a matter of time.

All the Remainers can do is delay it which has no effect on me whatsoever. If they want to continue bringing their money over at 37 Baht to the pound (or more likely lower) for the next 3-5 years then keep cheering on the can kicking as if it's some kind of victory [emoji2957][emoji38]. 

If there is one thing the Hard Brexiteers for sure don't believe in now, its Parliamentary Democracy.

20 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Not in the least worried. We dealing with the political equivalent of heroin detoxification. These 20 traitors love the EU so much more than than their own counties and constituents.

Onward and forward we go to freedom Oct. 31st!

Agreed. This is a 'word-in-sideways' thread with the usual culprits on pole.

If Boris was serious about no deal he'd have withdrawn any opposition to Tilbrook.

42 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

If Article 50 is revoked, we stay on exactly the same terms that we're on now. Just like it had never happened.

Ahh bliss....

I suspect that there would be some fine tuning to the agreement (a bit like Cameron should have done to avoid the referendum in the 1st place).

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Rebel MPs are preventing Boris from getting a deal, the reason being, they don't want a deal, they want to cancel brexit.

I don't believe you but it would be good if it was true. Today is a wonderful day though it may be raining outside here in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland there is EU sun in our hearts . Looks like the Rebel Alliance have just blown up his short positions on the UK  !  And the pound up we can all cheer that.

1 Pound sterling equals
37.08 Thai Baht

Image result for rees mogg slouching  

Archived