Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

23 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Farage said that a 52/48 win would be unfinished business when he thought remain would win. Changed his mind after Leave won by that margin, calling it a magnificent victory.

Farage wanted a deal before the referendum, now wants no deal.

Boris voted against May's deal at first, then changed his mind and voted for it.

They are allowed to change their minds, but we, the people, are not!

That is the Brexiteer version of democracy!

Congratulations, you have taken the point I was making (Why is it OK for Remainers to change their mind but not OK for Farage?) and flipped it to make exactly the same point, in reverse (Why is it OK for Farage to change his mind but not OK for Remainers).

Well done. Good to see such ingenuity, someone thinking outside the box  ???? 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You're counting on the fact that there will be a rebel motion.

Which there won't be, because Remainers know that if put to the public the Tories will smash them.

So these cowards will continue obstructing the process from the seats that they won based upon a false premise, continue to go against the manifestos on which they were elected and against article 50 which they themselves enacted, to delay Brexit and avoid the "peoples vote" that they were pretending they wanted.

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

I have realised the remoaners have been right all along when they say I did not know all the true facts before voting to leave, so I decided to do a little research.

I just voted to leave because I thought our sovereignty was being compromised by foreign unelected masters, and that we were compelled to have unlimited uncontrolled immigration, our laws and export agreements dictated by Brussels bureaucrats, and had to pay eye-watering amounts for the privilege.

I did not know more than 10,000 EU officials get paid more than our prime minister.

I did not know that unlike the UK, 18 countries get more back from the EU than they put in.

I did not know that the EU occupies over 45 buildings 2 of which were purpose built monuments of grandeur and are the largest buildings in Europe.

I did not know that the EU parliament spends 150million Euros a year moving to Strasbourg every month for 4 days committee meetings, any attempt to stop this stupidity is vetoed by France.

I did not know that the EU has had a huge luxury shopping Mall built in Brussels for the exclusive use of EU employees.

I did not know that every day queues of chauffeur driven cars with their engines running, wait outside EU establishments while their occupants go in, sign in for their attendance allowance and expenses, then come straight back out and are driven away.

I did not know that many of them (like the Kinnocks) end up as millionaires as a reward for looking the other way.

I did not know that Clegg was lying when he mocked Nigel Farage for saying that an EU army was being planned.

I did not know that the EU had been financing the mass movement of industries from UK to mainland Europe.

I could go on and on but suffice it to say that I have never for a moment doubted the correctness of my decision, I am so glad that the remoaners prompted me to look deeper into the bureaucratic absurdity of being in the EU.

So you decided to 'do a little research' eh? 

Or did you just copy this verbatim from a FB group because when I googled a few of the 'facts' you brought up, someone has gone to the trouble of disputing every single one of them on a website in June 2019 and has clearly demonstrated your facts to be anything but.

https://gardeningreluctantly.com/2019/06/21/dismantling-brexit-nonsense/ 

Now that's got to be embarrassing.

10 hours ago, Basil B said:

That was definitely a good start for the new PM!????

First PM ever who lost his/her first vote in the HoC, and left with no majority

Probably.. also , who lost vote 2 + 3

Big chanse.. will be the shortest ever in action

With some "luck" loose Scotland and maybe even Northern Ireland making the UK the Single Kingdom.

Idiots. The only thing they can agree on is not to agree on anything at all.

Someone should pass a motion :

All MP's pay and allowances should be suspended until they can come to an agreement on something .......anything.

9 hours ago, Basil B said:

The Tories who defied the whip some are big names who were not going to be bullied by the Whips, tomorrow probably more will follow them.

22 names on the list...

1. Philip Hammond
  2. Greg Clark
  3. David Lidington
  4. Ken Clarke
  5. David Guake
  6. Stephen Hammond
  7. Antoinette Sandback
  8. Steve Brine
  9. Ed Vaizey
  10. Guto Bebb
  11. Rory Stewart
  12. Nick Soames
  13. Dominic Grieve
  14. Caroline Spelman
  15. Oliver Lewin
  16. Philip Lee
  17. Sam Gmiyah
  18. Richard Harrington
  19. Alistair Burt
  20. Justine Greening
  21. Sarah Newton
  22. Anne Milton

Obviously the Whips never got Philip Lees letter telling them he was resigning.

The next Tory party after the GE...

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Idiots. The only thing they can agree on is not to agree on anything at all.

Someone should pass a motion :

All MP's pay and allowances should be suspended until they can come to an agreement on something .......anything.

Absolutely.

Vote against a deal.

Rule out No Deal.

And now the opposition are about to vote against a general election. Yes, the opposition do not want an election.

You couldn't make it up. Shameful stuff.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Of course; why wouldn't they? Had Leave lost, they wouldn't have given up fighting for what they believe in.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Not true. 

As a Leaver I accept the result of all Democratic votes. Many times I voted for a party that did not win. I accepted it. That is how Democracy works. 

What you are seeing now is the result of people not respecting the vote. People who cannot accept they lost. And it isn't pretty.

8 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I fear London will soon make Hong Kong look tame. You can't just remove people's democracy because they chose a course unpopular with the elite and benefits brigade. If people are worried about their pensions converting badly to baht just wait until the molotov cocktails start flying. There has been ample chance to deliver Brexit. Due process, peace and democracy have failed the people, what comes next...?

WHICH Brexit ? The easy deal with the EU, with 350 mln pounds per week for the NHS and a pound worth € 1,70 again ? Time to bring those liars in court for high treason.

4 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Boris is only trying to do what the Referendum called for, If the UK goes further down the pan, then at least we have a list of the TRAITORS to go for.

Brexit Party will come to the add of the PM .Farage isn't going to be defeated by the rebel MPs

32 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Actually Cameron did just that. For one thing, he got the EU to explictly exempt the UK from being drawn into an ever closer union. Not that in effect it matters much since the prospect of an EU army and other bogeymen cited by Brexiters were always quite dim.

EU army… Talks about that from pre-NATO times already.

All going as predicted really.  We shouldn't get carried away by this.  It is as much a win for the responsible leavers as it is the remainers.  It just means we need a deal to leave and not leave with a "no deal".  But it is only round one with the people versus Cummings/JRM/Johnson etc.

General election, possible vote of no confidence of Johnson by Johnson ????.  Then of course there is the House of Lords.  Yes it was good to see parliament fight back against the thugs in Downing Street but it was a battle, not the war.

I suspect, in the end, a deal will be agreed and we will end up with May's deal with tweaks. There will be lots of finger pointing and blame games for these cretins to save face.  I don't think a general election will solve the Brexit issue on it's own.  A second referendum may get a result but not help heal the deep and lasting wound that has brought British society to it's knees.

There can be no winners here.

6 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

As an American, I find this fascinating, and sad. An American economist, Nobel laureate Paul Krugman, has from the get-go said that the whole EU was built half-assed backwards, that they needed to start with common basic policies, not invent a currency then figure out the rest. He has long predicted that the way the EU is structured is not conducive to longevity because the foundation upon which it is built is flawed. The corruption is neither surprising nor unexpected; governments are inherently corrupt, being primarily composed of professional liars. The UK is paying the price for its centuries of colonization, it would seem, all of its former colonies' citizens moving to the UK legally when overlordship disappeared. It would seem that the UK dug its own grave.

Actually, Krugman didn't say that. First off, the Euro came after there were common policies. Krugman has always been critical of the Euro as have most American economists.  It doesn't make sense to have currency union without a fiscal union. That said, Krugman is a strong supporter of the EU and still is. He has been extremely level-headed about all this. He has repeatedly said that that Brexit wouldn't ultimately be a disaster for the UK. It would permanently slow economic growth, Not the same thing as a disaster. But he has pointed out that the way it was being implemented, with very inept. 

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?uri=nyt://newsletter/7767159b-1a16-4415-b45f-87c29abcf478&te=1&nl=paul-krugman&emc=edit_pk_20190903?campaign_id=116&instance_id=12088&segment_id=16684&user_id=75c53372f4485d2db73ee54150e9fa69&regi_id=3846620

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

I have realised the remoaners have been right all along when they say I did not know all the true facts before voting to leave, so I decided to do a little research.

I just voted to leave because I thought our sovereignty was being compromised by foreign unelected masters, and that we were compelled to have unlimited uncontrolled immigration, our laws and export agreements dictated by Brussels bureaucrats, and had to pay eye-watering amounts for the privilege.

I did not know more than 10,000 EU officials get paid more than our prime minister.

I did not know that unlike the UK, 18 countries get more back from the EU than they put in.

I did not know that the EU occupies over 45 buildings 2 of which were purpose built monuments of grandeur and are the largest buildings in Europe.

I did not know that the EU parliament spends 150million Euros a year moving to Strasbourg every month for 4 days committee meetings, any attempt to stop this stupidity is vetoed by France.

I did not know that the EU has had a huge luxury shopping Mall built in Brussels for the exclusive use of EU employees.

I did not know that every day queues of chauffeur driven cars with their engines running, wait outside EU establishments while their occupants go in, sign in for their attendance allowance and expenses, then come straight back out and are driven away.

I did not know that many of them (like the Kinnocks) end up as millionaires as a reward for looking the other way.

I did not know that Clegg was lying when he mocked Nigel Farage for saying that an EU army was being planned.

I did not know that the EU had been financing the mass movement of industries from UK to mainland Europe.

I could go on and on but suffice it to say that I have never for a moment doubted the correctness of my decision, I am so glad that the remoaners prompted me to look deeper into the bureaucratic absurdity of being in the EU.

One thing we do know now is that you have committed plagiarism.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1392751011031321/permalink/2047555165550899/

16 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

So you decided to 'do a little research' eh? 

Or did you just copy this verbatim from a FB group because when I googled a few of the 'facts' you brought up, someone has gone to the trouble of disputing every single one of them on a website in June 2019 and has clearly demonstrated your facts to be anything but.

https://gardeningreluctantly.com/2019/06/21/dismantling-brexit-nonsense/ 

Now that's got to be embarrassing.

What a nonsense...

I will add a few:

- The UK stole all gold reserves from all countries occupied by the Nazi's and thought to be safe in the UK

- The UK will be master of the EU ( 1963 to the German Min of Foreign Affairs: invite us in, so we can take over the EEC) 

- All British drink tea with MILK in it and lukewarm beer

- The UK wants to forbid the "continental breakfast ( croissants with some marmelade = French ) and enforce beaked beans, bacon, scrambled eggs with toast

13 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

But it is only round one with the people versus Cummings/JRM/Johnson etc.

That's a new one on me. ????

I saw the BBC trying to spin it as Parliament vs. the government, but never the people vs. the government.

In reality this is Parliament vs. the people.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As Hammond has pointed out, he’s been retained as his constituency candidate and will fight in the courts any moves by Johnson to deselect him.

The idea that Johnson (Cummings) can deselect Tory MPs is not clear cut.

Brexit Party will see him off. Farage said he wouldn't stand against a Tory candidate , but a rebel Tory candidate is a different thing.

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Likely this will come down to either a Lab/LibDem coalition or Brexit/Conservative coalition. My money is on the latter. London is just a small part of England, the rest of the country overwhelming wanted to regain sovereignty.

Of course, should Lab/LibDem win an election they will let us have a 2nd election. A second vote, to make sure people really understood what they voted for. And then maybe a 3rd? All this time without actually assuming power and governing as per the electoral mandate. Right?!

When just as much is lied as during the referendum, these politicians belong in jail, not in parliament.

But.. seen the UK election system per baronly ( constituency).. Imagine: Ukip 4 million votes, no seat...

5 parties: 17%-19-20-21-22%... the winner takes it all, and,., with 50% + 1 of the baronies.. have the government

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not true. 

As a Leaver I accept the result of all Democratic votes. Many times I voted for a party that did not win. I accepted it. That is how Democracy works. 

What you are seeing now is the result of people not respecting the vote. People who cannot accept they lost. And it isn't pretty.

No. What we're seeing now, is protecting Britain from a no-deal. 

6 hours ago, elliss said:

gbp on the up , 37 baht today..

How come ? Brexit in trouble, and the GBP goes UP ?

When I have to believe all Brexiteers, heaven is shining when Brexit is fulfilled… Should be the opposite ( unless of course.. now business + finance get hope again the British suicide could be stopped )

23 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

All going as predicted really.  We shouldn't get carried away by this.  It is as much a win for the responsible leavers as it is the remainers.  It just means we need a deal to leave and not leave with a "no deal".  But it is only round one with the people versus Cummings/JRM/Johnson etc.

General election, possible vote of no confidence of Johnson by Johnson ????.  Then of course there is the House of Lords.  Yes it was good to see parliament fight back against the thugs in Downing Street but it was a battle, not the war.

I suspect, in the end, a deal will be agreed and we will end up with May's deal with tweaks. There will be lots of finger pointing and blame games for these cretins to save face.  I don't think a general election will solve the Brexit issue on it's own.  A second referendum may get a result but not help heal the deep and lasting wound that has brought British society to it's knees.

There can be no winners here.

Hey, that's being optimistic. Better the leavers admit it wasn't a good idea to vote for that. 

Just now, puipuitom said:

How come ? Brexit in trouble, and the GBP goes UP ?

When I have to believe all Brexiteers, heaven is shining when Brexit is fulfilled… Should be the opposite ( unless of course.. now business + finance get hope again the British suicide could be stopped )

where did he get 37 from? bank notes Bangkok bank 36.2 it went down from yesterday

5 hours ago, alanrchase said:

London is just a small part of England.

Surely that should be London is just a small part of Great Britain? Or is Brexit really only an English thing?

Just look... Time the Scotish and N-Irish LEAVE

Green = new parts of the Irish rep 2020 sm.jpg

Brexit.jpg

Ire + Scots refuse English.jpg

Brexit for UK = indep for Scot.png

32 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not true. 

Not up to the people. Up to parliament to make decisions.

13 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Brexit Party will see him off. Farage said he wouldn't stand against a Tory candidate , but a rebel Tory candidate is a different thing.

That really would be a delicious irony, wouldn't it just.

Archived