Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

6 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

They’re already backpedaling. Leadsom said those 21 MPs would get a second chance at the next vote. Does she really think anyone cares? 

Boris lost his majority of one, which included the support of the DUP, when Lee walked across the house yesterday. Quite a few of those 21 have said they will not be standing at the next election whenever that is.

Cummings little terror plan to threaten MP's hasn't worked and it's looking live his idea to suspend parliament won't either.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the People versus Parliament. The point of a referendum is to give the choice on an issue to the people. Parliament has refused to honour that - a very dangerous, totally dishonourable, and quite dysfunctional path.

Parliament hasn't thought this through. If Brexit is not delivered, expect riots. Remainers should understand that before pushing their reckless and inflammatory agenda.

11 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Boris is only trying to do what the Referendum called for, If the UK goes further down the pan, then at least we have a list of the TRAITORS to go for.

Boris, Gove, Cummings, R-Mogg, May, Farage etc etc. Big list of traitors indeed!

1 minute ago, JamesBlond said:

It's the People versus Parliament. The point of a referendum is to give the choice on an issue to the people. Parliament has refused to honour that - a very dangerous, totally dishonourable, and quite dysfunctional path.

Parliament hasn't thought this through. If Brexit is not delivered, expect riots. Remainers should understand that before pushing their reckless and inflammatory agenda.

No it wasn't. The point of the referendum was to spike the rifts in the Tory party and thwart the then growth in UKIP. Cameron gambled by holding an advisory referendum, foolishly stating he'd abide by the result, which was a decision outside his power, and failing to set rules around winning margins.

May tried to cheat parliament; Boris rebelled to bring her down, replaced her, and tried to cheat parliament.

Such a constitutional mess. The only way out now is a GE with parties declaring exactly what there Brexit stance and plans are.

53 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Wonder what would happen if one of the Lords had a 'suspected' heart attack whilst debating.
Surely they would call a recess for the day out of respect?

That can be arranged , any one on your preferred list ...

5 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Boris is only trying to do what the Referendum called for, If the UK goes further down the pan, then at least we have a list of the TRAITORS to go for.

The Tory party has today 22 constituencies without a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate (PPC), I doubt any of them have reserve PPC's, I would assume the selection process will take weeks, and more probable the constituencies will be in total disarray, with members choosing to resign or doing all they can to oppose central Office imposing candidates on them.

When a No Deal Brexit option has been prevented one way or another there will be a vote of no confidence, and I suspect the Tory Party will want make piece the the rebels... 

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

I have realised the remoaners have been right all along when they say I did not know all the true facts before voting to leave, so I decided to do a little research.

I just voted to leave because I thought our sovereignty was being compromised by foreign unelected masters, and that we were compelled to have unlimited uncontrolled immigration, our laws and export agreements dictated by Brussels bureaucrats, and had to pay eye-watering amounts for the privilege.

I did not know more than 10,000 EU officials get paid more than our prime minister.

I did not know that unlike the UK, 18 countries get more back from the EU than they put in.

I did not know that the EU occupies over 45 buildings 2 of which were purpose built monuments of grandeur and are the largest buildings in Europe.

I did not know that the EU parliament spends 150million Euros a year moving to Strasbourg every month for 4 days committee meetings, any attempt to stop this stupidity is vetoed by France.

I did not know that the EU has had a huge luxury shopping Mall built in Brussels for the exclusive use of EU employees.

I did not know that every day queues of chauffeur driven cars with their engines running, wait outside EU establishments while their occupants go in, sign in for their attendance allowance and expenses, then come straight back out and are driven away.

I did not know that many of them (like the Kinnocks) end up as millionaires as a reward for looking the other way.

I did not know that Clegg was lying when he mocked Nigel Farage for saying that an EU army was being planned.

I did not know that the EU had been financing the mass movement of industries from UK to mainland Europe.

I could go on and on but suffice it to say that I have never for a moment doubted the correctness of my decision, I am so glad that the remoaners prompted me to look deeper into the bureaucratic absurdity of being in the EU.

How's life as a russian copy/paste troll these days? Do they feed you enough? 

brexit trolls.PNG

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

The Tory party has today 22 constituencies without a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate (PPC), I doubt any of them have reserve PPC's, I would assume the selection process will take weeks, and more probable the constituencies will be in total disarray, with members choosing to resign or doing all they can to oppose central Office imposing candidates on them.

When a No Deal Brexit option has been prevented one way or another there will be a vote of no confidence, and I suspect the Tory Party will want make piece the the rebels... 

There’s also nothing to stop them standing as independents, possibly hard to believe but long standing MP’s tend to be popular and could easily stand alone. So that’s another few seats gone from the Tories.

PM Cummings has royally ballsed this up ! 

14 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Boris, Gove, Cummings, R-Mogg, May, Farage etc etc. Big list of traitors indeed!

Yes what bad people, I hope they get that idea of democracy out of their heads. I just cannot believe they want to deliver what the electorate voted for, how evil is that.

13 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

At last the people are going to have a say... and I suspect you will not like what they say. 

6 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

They’re already backpedaling. Leadsom said those 21 MPs would get a second chance at the next vote. Does she really think anyone cares? 

To be fair I think she said this before the cull and prior to being slapped down for saying it.

I took her statement as an early shot at the forthcoming Tory party leadership election ????

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

21 MP's to lose the whip...

So even with the DUP the Tories are now 22 MP's short of a Majority,

Only Boris could inflict so much damage to the Tory party.???? 

have to give credit to the 21 "rebels" that didn't fear the black mailing threats from BJ

What a shambles!

What a complete clusterf##k!

I think a coup is needed. :ninja:

Might be less of a mess.......

All because of an idiot called Farage who had some posters made with blatant lies and scaremongering and half the country believing him.

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

"PM Johnson, who promises an election"

Assuming parliament allows one to take place:

"A motion for a general election is agreed by two thirds of the total number of seats in the Commons including vacant seats."

General elections - UK Parliament

If Parliament does not vote for one then Johnson remains......twisting on a skewer of impotence.......and Parliament sets the agenda.

And the opposition will probably vote in favour of the government if anyone calls a motion of no-confidence......which would have the same result.

It's beginning to look like checkmate.

sometime/longtime ago someone said...  “Let me be frank … I saw Boris as a nasty young kid ... He never changed.”
— Ex-World Trade Organization chief Pascal Lamy at an event in London, adding that a free-trade deal could take five to six years to negotiate.

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Funny how all the Remainers have been crying out for a second vote, and when they get their chance they don't want it because they know they'd get smashed at the polls and you'd end up with a massive Leave majority in Parliament.

If that were true, how did he manage to lose last nights vote ??

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

It wasn't the electorate that voted last night, I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

as always, denial..... it's not us it's them,.... yesterday was the start today the real game will go on

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Yes what bad people, I hope they get that idea of democracy out of their heads. I just cannot believe they want to deliver what the electorate voted for, how evil is that.

So a shopkeeper makes a mistake, has a £100 coat puts it in the window with a £1.00 ticket on it does the shopkeeper have to sell it for a £1?

You Brexiteers are like customers telling the shopkeeper when he notices the mistake and withdraws the coat from sale, saying he has to honour the price by law when in actual fact he does not.

As so clear by opinion polls only days after the referendum the people had changed their minds and Terms and Conditions clearly stated "NONE BINDING" 

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

The constitution is based on a consent to rule by the people.

The people spoke in 2016 and they must be heard.

Plenty on here who have spent too much time in Thailand where constitutions are ripped up on a regular basis.

Remainers are traitors, pure and simple

Traitors? that's stupid. The UK is a democracy and you aren't hung drawn and quartered just because you have a different opinion as to what is best for the country. Just because Mrs Bloggs likes watching 'Love Island' and 'Big Brother' doesn't make her a financial expert, normally her idea of democracy would be voting on the contestants for 'Love Island'. MP's have an army of qualified people to guide their decisions and they not only dislike no deal, they don't like brexit either along with one of the best civil service's in the world. Intelligent decisions aren't usually made by the mob which is why we have representatives in Parliament guided by experts. 

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Why would I be crying? It has no direct effect on me as I live in Thailand and earn in Baht and have done for over 12 years. 

I suggest you enjoy your gloating while it lasts though. Brexit will happen in the end, if Remainers want to drag this process on for another couple of years then they can accept the consequences for that but it won't change anything, there is no way this genie is going back into the bottle. You can force delay upon delay, there will be a General Election sooner or later. Revoke? Get ready for Farage, he isn't going anywhere either.

You can only ignore the wishes of the people for so long. If you wish to harm the country by putting it on hold for another 2-3 years while Parliament embarrasses itself then feel free, it won't change the result in the end. 

Ironically missing the point that if/when there is a second referendum the result WILL change, EVERY poll shows that, sanity will be restored, the BNP numbers will temporarily swell, and we can all go

back to being a much loved cousin in the world community! Winner

Be bloody quiet on here though I’m guessing

25 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

To be fair I think she said this before the cull and prior to being slapped down for saying it.

I took her statement as an early shot at the forthcoming Tory party leadership election ????

She did...

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

So a shopkeeper makes a mistake, has a £100 coat puts it in the window with a £1.00 ticket on it does the shopkeeper have to sell it for a £1?

You Brexiteers are like customers telling the shopkeeper when he notices the mistake and withdraws the coat from sale, saying he has to honour the price by law when in actual fact he does not.

As so clear by opinion polls only days after the referendum the people had changed their minds and Terms and Conditions clearly stated "NONE BINDING" 

I've said it before, remainers don't do analogies very well, can't you stick to realities.

Where have I stated that the referendum was "NON BINDING" that is open to interpretation, what is not open to interpretation is that a very large majority of parliament voted to LEAVE.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Demographics dear Boy! If we counted the exact same votes from 2016 today and eliminated the dead, the vote would be Remain. 

Morbid Report: 4/9/2019.

He wants the same votes and to eliminate the dead. Greedy or what?

Well the dead are eliminated anyway, by definition.

Same votes? Well, don't do down to the woods today!

1 hour ago, JamesBlond said:

There's only one way to sort this mess out. Have a referendum in which the options are:

a) leave with no deal if necessary

b) continue indefinitely to push for a deal.

Of course, remaining cannot be an option.

Why not? Afraid you might lose?

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

London is just a small part of England.

Surely that should be London is just a small part of Great Britain? Or is Brexit really only an English thing?

Actually that should be "London is just a small part of the United Kingdom"  (Great Britain + Northern Ireland) 

Archived