Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Like I said, "if you don't know by now" ........

I am sure you can find  experts that can agree with your opinion, The overwhelming opinion and reports are that a no deal brexit will have a negative affect on the UK economy,As I said a simple google search will give you the answers you seek.

Even your expert admits that there will be negative economic  effects but thinks without analysing why,  that in the long term it will recover.

That's the economic effects, How about the political and social effects?

The value of the pound is a reflection of the strength of a UK economy,  Would a Scottish independance and or an Irish reunification make the UK economy stronger? 

Would a weaker / smaller Uk have the same negotiating power? 

Again you are guessing, the UK is strong enough to retain our United Kingdom, sorry if this doesn't go along with your rhetoric.

But when I want to know whats happening with Brexit I always check your posts, they are always so informative, so thanks for that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vogie said:

The Chief Economist from Deutche Bank disagrees with you, but I guess you know best.

Corbyn better than no-deal Brexit, say investment banks as anti-capitalist Labour wins unlikely new City fans

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/09/03/corbyn-better-no-deal-brexit-say-investment-banks-anti-capitalist/

So Vogie, this settles it:

No deal brexit and Corbyn takes over - I think we can agree at last!

3 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

would appreciate it very much if you could give me the facts to back up your statement

Could you give me the true facts on the consequences of leaving, as opposed to the consequences of staying ?

I her so may people saying how really bad it will be to leave, but unsurprisingly , they can never back this up with any facts

Even our so called M Ps can not give true facts about the cost of leaving, against the true cost of staying

Can you, or is it just your misguided opinion 

Why can you all be honest and state the truth, you have no idea what will happen if we leave, and why do you refuse to accept the changes and costs that the Lisbon treaty will make on the UK

Nobody can give precise figures about the cost of leaving because no country has ever left a trading bloc before but consequences can be foreseen.

With no deal, businesses would not know whether or when there would ever be any sort of preferential trading arrangement going beyond WTO commitments with the EU.

The EU have repeatedly said if the UK is not prepared to accept any of the obligations of Single Market and Customs Union membership, then it can't expect to continue trading on similar terms to those enjoyed by members.

After exit, even the opening of any trade negotiation requires unanimity amongst the 27 members.

On ‘mini deals' the legislation the 27 put in place to govern economic relations with the UK after a no deal exit, there has been no consultation with the UK, let alone negotiations.

EU regulators across many sectors will press firms after a ‘no deal’ to comply with their requirements about location and ownership.

No trade deal with the USA, China and India will ever be agreed without delivering major economic dividends for them.

Much more of our trade is with Europe – notably in services, in which the UK is highly competitive and all cross-border trade liberalisation is immensely difficult, precisely because it inevitably impinges heavily on domestic regulatory sovereignty. What terms will they offer to a country that has just left the bloc?

We export more services to the EU than to our next eight markets put together.

Any ‘no deal’ exit will force us to negotiate from a position of complete vulnerability.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kingdong said:

parliament?that rabble,all these remainers will be laughing on the other side of their faces when momentum,sorry corbyn get in,or will it be another "coalition"throw a few of the fringe parties in for good measure,see how "the markets" react to that,well don,t delay changing your £s to baht,25-£1 coming soon,remainers?talk about turkeys voting for an early christmas,and don,t forget who it was that nutted the hornets nest.

QUOTE: parliament?that rabble

Yep, says it all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

Nobody can give precise figures about the cost of leaving because no country has ever left a trading bloc before but consequences can be foreseen.

With no deal, businesses would not know whether or when there would ever be any sort of preferential trading arrangement going beyond WTO commitments with the EU.

The EU have repeatedly said if the UK is not prepared to accept any of the obligations of Single Market and Customs Union membership, then it can't expect to continue trading on similar terms to those enjoyed by members.

After exit, even the opening of any trade negotiation requires unanimity amongst the 27 members.

On ‘mini deals' the legislation the 27 put in place to govern economic relations with the UK after a no deal exit, there has been no consultation with the UK, let alone negotiations.

EU regulators across many sectors will press firms after a ‘no deal’ to comply with their requirements about location and ownership.

No trade deal with the USA, China and India will ever be agreed without delivering major economic dividends for them.

Much more of our trade is with Europe – notably in services, in which the UK is highly competitive and all cross-border trade liberalisation is immensely difficult, precisely because it inevitably impinges heavily on domestic regulatory sovereignty. What terms will they offer to a country that has just left the bloc?

We export more services to the EU than to our next eight markets put together.

Any ‘no deal’ exit will force us to negotiate from a position of complete vulnerability.

yet it is the antics of the remainers making a good deal [[not that scheme may tried to push through that would have kept us in forever]possible,well you,ve got what you set out to do,mob rules prevailed,and you know what,it,ll be the remainers who are going to suffer most in the coming years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Never watched the HoC live before it seems!

No strong drink should be permitted anywhere near the HoP let alone tax payer funded subsidised bars! 

It was just a few years back that investigators found traces of cocaine in all the toilets of the Parliamentary buildings yet that was soon covered up and swept under the carpet.

Little wonder there is concern about alcohol and cocaine addiction among the middle classes. Our politicians are probably the ones that set the trend.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, adammike said:

It's the British Isles that's the geographical term,Great Britain is a political term I think!

Great Britain is actually an Island, as it name suggests it's the largest of the British Isles...

Great Britain is an island in the North Atlantic Ocean off the northwest coast of continental Europe. With an area of 209,331 km2 (80,823 sq mi), it is the largest of the British Isles, the largest European island, and the ninth-largest island in the world.[6][note 1] In 2011, Great Britain had a population of about 61 million people, making it the world's third-most populous island after Java in Indonesia and Honshu in Japan.[8][9] The island of Ireland is situated to the west of Great Britain, and together these islands, along with over 1,000 smaller surrounding islands, form the British Isles archipelago.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain  

...  but is also a Political term used to describe the Union of England, Scotland & Wales... So if Scottish Independence happens, then Scotland would leave Great Britain (The Political Term) but still be part of Great Britain (The Island) ???? 

Anyway the point I was originally trying to make was that Brexit impacts the whole of the UK not just England or Great Britain 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Actually, Krugman didn't say that. First off, the Euro came after there were common policies. Krugman has always been critical of the Euro as have most American economists.

Krugman's thoughts on the EU mirror mine and many other remainers.  No one wanted the Euro and we didn't get it. Same with the Shengen agreement. Same with Thatcher's hard fought for rebate.. Same with taking a percentage of Merkel's 2m refugees. There are many examples of us kicking back against the EU and UK winning the day.

Slaves to the EU oligarchs? Never have been, never will be. All a Brexiteer fantasy/ Cummings lie. We're Brits for crying out loud, we should be staying and fighting to retain our rightful place near the top of the largest trading block in the world. Not running and hiding like a scolded dog, hiding in a corner until we starve and die.

Remainers, the true Brits, are fighting back, unlike the spineless Brexiteer surrender monkeys. Bunch of limp wristed toffs.

"Once more unto the breach my friends

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'
Come on lads, time to put some cold steel into those spineless, Eton Toff Brexiteers. They're on their knees, let's finish'em off!
We have awoken and the lion roars!

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

Again you are guessing, the UK is strong enough to retain our United Kingdom, sorry if this doesn't go along with your rhetoric.

But when I want to know whats happening with Brexit I always check your posts, they are always so informative, so thanks for that.

How from my post did you ascertain that I am "guessing, the UK is strong enough to retain our United Kingdom  "???? I am not guessing anything, this is what is being reported.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/03/sturgeon-seek-legal-powers-hold-new-scottish-independence-referendum

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/31/sinn-fein-border-poll-ireland-unity-must-follow-no-deal-brexit

Hopefully none of that will happen, but reporting seems to indicate that there is a good chance that it will.

As an American , I have the advantage of being able to look at this from the outside and see the forest rather than the trees, and from my perspective it does not look good, but have the disadvantage of not organically through natural osmosis feeling the thing so I could be wrong and could be missing a crucial factor. 

I happen to like and enjoy my British friends on both sides of this issue and hope I am wrong.

I will tell you this. while listening to Bloomberg Financial news a currencies expert was being interviewed concerning the latest devaluation of sterling. He was asked if at this low price if it was time to buy, his reply "No, it has not hit bottom yet" and I paraphrase  "the price sterling enjoyed was do to valuations reflecting UK's relation to the EU, and UK cohesion, both of these are now an open question "

I sincerely, (really mean it) wish you all the best luck.

• Like 2