Snap election on horizon after UK lawmakers vote to block 'no-deal' Brexit

webfact

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

It has been mentioned that the SNP would be willing to back Boris Johnsons request for a General Election, they seem to believe it would be in their interest for an independent vote. 

Who was it mentioned by? Cummings? Strange that seeing as their leader stood up in parliament last night and pledged to follow Labour's lead on an election date.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Boris Johnson’s own brother makes the right decision between family loyalty and the good of the nation, and resigns from the Cabinet and as an MP.

The crock of Brexit becomes more farcical and ever more toxic.

Edited by tebee
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, adammike said:

The only way Boris can get an election is if he gets Labour to vote for it, he is now a lame duck and Parliament have got him right where they want him,when the new law making leaving the EU without a deal illegal gets the Royal assent he will have to ask the EU for a extension of the 31 October deadline,He has said this will never happen and we will leave on October 31 no if's and buts that means he goes to Brussels or just goes.

Corbyn is now in the driving seat and as long has he behaves and doesn't upset the other party's they can mess up what's left of the Tory party for good, Nigel can scream from the sidelines till he's blue in the face. Rejoice it will be a magical Christmas.

Unfortunately they also have the people of the UK screwed up also.

650 MPs with different agendas all trying to run the country of over 65 million people.

Yes the lunatics are definitely running the asylum and the UK is much poorer because of it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Boris Johnson’s own brother makes the right decision between family loyalty and the good of the nation, and resigns from the Cabinet and as an MP.

The crock of Brexit becomes more farcical and ever more toxic.

That SHOULD be the decission EVERY representative of the people has to make: the interest of the country for the longer run first. 

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Labours Richard Burgon makes it crystal clear on their position on Brexit.

Yes, bla bla blablabla, 

A typical "politician"  not the truth, turn around the "hot pot:, never give a straight answer.

I very well can accept as answer: "I am NOT able to give that on TV" or " NOT in the interests of the strategic negociations of my party". 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Unfortunately they also have the people of the UK screwed up also.

650 MPs with different agendas all trying to run the country of over 65 million people.

Yes the lunatics are definitely running the asylum and the UK is much poorer because of it.

Every UK MP has a very simple agenda: how do I get re-elected in my constituency? The interest of the constituency "next door": the hack. 

I can imagine the UK split up in a 10 or so " regions", as with the EU Parliament elections, so never the winner = one vote more as the others, get the seat and the others nothing. THEN we have a representation of the people. Now it is.. get as much as benefits from the "crown" for MY constituency, and the rest... burst. As THEN I get re-elected.

24 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Yes, bla bla blablabla, 

A typical "politician"  not the truth, turn around the "hot pot:, never give a straight answer.

I very well can accept as answer: "I am NOT able to give that on TV" or " NOT in the interests of the strategic negociations of my party". 

Well, that's cleared that up, are you related to Burgon? ????????????

4 hours ago, vogie said:

It has been mentioned that the SNP would be willing to back Boris Johnsons request for a General Election, they seem to believe it would be in their interest for an independent vote. 

Yes that is true but when asked about it they did confirm that they were committed to getting no-deal removed first, however long that took.  Nobody trusts Johnson or anything he says now.

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Yes that is true but when asked about it they did confirm that they were committed to getting no-deal removed first, however long that took.  Nobody trusts Johnson or anything he says now.

Do you believe anything Corbyn says, lets have a bit of balance here. The whole of Parliament is totally duplicitous and needs purging from top to bottom, parliament of the people my giddy aunt.

They are so concerned about knife crime, but not bothered about stabbing 17.4 million of the electorate in the back.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vogie said:

Do you believe anything Corbyn says, lets have a bit of balance here. The whole of Parliament is totally duplicitous and needs purging from top to bottom, parliament of the people my giddy aunt.

They are so concerned about knife crime, but not bothered about stabbing 17.4 million of the electorate in the back.

Image result for broken record

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Image result for broken record

Corbyn came across at the last General Election as the most statesman-like of the contenders.  You might not agree with his politics, but at least he seemed like a principalled politician.  THe great thing is is that electing Corbyn would have been like shooting yourself in the foot.  It will get better.  After Brexit has cut off our legs, they might not grow back.

Corbyn came across at the last General Election as the most statesman-like of the contenders.  You might not agree with his politics, but at least he seemed like a principalled politician.  THe great thing is is that electing Corbyn would have been like shooting yourself in the foot.  It will get better.  After Brexit has cut off our legs, they might not grow back.

Corbyn has never ever appeared statesman-like. He’s always been a grubby oik in his politics and private life.
Did his principles suddenly fall away when he had to change his previously long held anti-EU position, or has he ever had any?
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Corbyn has never ever appeared statesman-like. He’s always been a grubby oik in his politics and private life.
Did his principles suddenly fall away when he had to change his previously long held anti-EU position, or has he ever had any?

You must have watched a different election campaign.

One of Corbyn's problems in the latest election is that he has been consistently anti-EU, as I understand.   Over time, he has realised that that position is no longer appropriate.  Doing what you believe to be right, even if your view on what is right changes, seems better than trying to pretend that what you did before is still right; what do you think?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You must have watched a different election campaign.
One of Corbyn's problems in the latest election is that he has been consistently anti-EU, as I understand.   Over time, he has realised that that position is no longer appropriate.  Doing what you believe to be right, even if your view on what is right changes, seems better than trying to pretend that what you did before is still right; what do you think?

I think he’s a lying cheating lefty power grabber.
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The UK leaves now and sometime later they will join again because all those old Levers die and the young people want the EU

That will never happen. More countries will want to leave. italy first. This young people all want to leave is another example that you non Brits believe from polls of 1000 or so people.

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The UK stays in the EU

Even if the EU forces the UK to stay in and that's what is happening from back door methods then the Brexit party will grow in numbers and the UK will leave. That  believe is inevitable.

So for non Brits and those who vote remain should just accept it. These Brexit negotiations have brought to light just the way the EU is. People who voted remain want out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That will never happen. More countries will want to leave. italy first. This young people all want to leave is another example that you non Brits believe from polls of 1000 or so people.

????

"In the case of Italy, the authors noted that the results were “encouraging” because the ‘vote to remain’ increased by five percentage points over the past six months, and the results for ‘vote to leave’ dropped by five points in the same period to 19%."

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-elections-2019/news/less-than-half-of-brits-czechs-and-italians-would-vote-to-remain-in-the-eu/

1 minute ago, candide said:

????

"In the case of Italy, the authors noted that the results were “encouraging” because the ‘vote to remain’ increased by five percentage points over the past six months, and the results for ‘vote to leave’ dropped by five points in the same period to 19%."

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-elections-2019/news/less-than-half-of-brits-czechs-and-italians-would-vote-to-remain-in-the-eu/

Give them a vote as you are so confident. I don't put daft laughing smileys as they are for children.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vogie said:

I totally agree but the only thing about knife crime they are concerned about is trying to pretend that those involved in knife crime, especially in London, is not committed by non whites. which is total rubbish.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It looks like Leavers might have to settle in for the long haul. Obviously it would be better to get it sorted soon but with a Remain Parliament blocking a deal and also blocking no deal, (despite the wishes of a Leave electorate), and the fixed term parliament act requiring 2 thirds of Parliament to vote for a GE (Parliament won't vote for it as they know a load of them would lose their seats due to their appalling behaviour), the Remainers can drag this mess on for years, and probably will.

Terrible for the pound, terrible for the economy, terrible for the reputation of the country. But if this is the game Remainers wish to play, then I will wait. I've waited 3 years already, I can wait many more. ???? 

Terrible for democracy.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/09/03/today-was-a-very-dark-day-for-british-democracy/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, puipuitom said:

That SHOULD be the decission EVERY representative of the people has to make: the interest of the country for the longer run first. 

If they had done that there would never have been a Brexit. The large majority of MPs were fully aware of the damage any form of Brexit would do to the British people but did nothing due to them being more concerned about retaining their seats in any futrure election.

A pox on both their houses.

Edited by DannyCarlton

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Even if the EU forces the UK to stay in and that's what is happening from back door methods then the Brexit party will grow in numbers and the UK will leave. That  believe is inevitable.

So for non Brits and those who vote remain should just accept it. These Brexit negotiations have brought to light just the way the EU is. People who voted remain want out.

You can't imagine how much EU citizens would love to get rid of UK leavers like you. Leave and stay away please. Nobody will miss you.

• Like 1