Aussie charged £55,000 for just one beer at a Manchester hotel

webfact

This happened in a bar in Manchester or Chiang Mai ???  Did any 'bouncers' threaten to beat him up? then they got the local BiB Police involved who agreed that the bill was too much and did the Aussie guy a favor and cut the bill down by 80%... of course they got their cut !!! (Just making this Thai related !!!... even though its in world news)

• Like 2

Those Brits just wanted to scam more as the Thais showing their true nature preying on unsuspected tourists. At least when it happend in Thailand last time the Thais corrected it fast this guy had to find out himself and correct it and wait 9 days.. Simply shameful those Brits   ????

Wonder how it feels for Brit posters to have the shoe on the other foot for a change. 

And yes I am joking mistakes are made everywhere but I find it quite bad that it takes 9 days to correct. Leaving the customer with the problems while the company made the mistake. I really hate it when that happens. If a company messes up they should correct it and not let the customer suffer the consequences. Though I think it just meant that the guy could no longer use his creditcard (doubt that the bill was deducted from his account straight away)

Presumably Aussie cc have some sort of credit limit? 

For his to be over £55k he must have raised the limit due to some one off expenditure and forgotten to lower it again - either that or his business expenses (for a cricket writer.....) are out of order.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Did you read the article? He was presented the bill and wasn´t able to read it. And of course he payed with credit card and found out after that something was wrong. 

Why pay for a 5.50 beer with a credit card? Has the world gone mad?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I am amazed how credit card had such a high limit and to get such a high limit he has to be doing more than “ok” to comment on having hole in finances . 

Also unsure why it turned into such a problem when doing refund takes less than few seconds 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This happened in a bar in Manchester or Chiang Mai ???  Did any 'bouncers' threaten to beat him up? then they got the local BiB Police involved who agreed that the bill was too much and did the Aussie guy a favor and cut the bill down by 80%... of course they got their cut !!! (Just making this Thai related !!!... even though its in world news)

But there was som migrants running after him with knifes.

The Manchester pub, or any retailer worldwide for that matter, have a predetermined maximum daily refund amount determined by Visa or Mastercard, part of their merchant conditions.. 

So they may have had a £6k daily refund limit, hence 9 days for a full refund.. I had a former customer return faulty goods of AUD 5k, and to refund the full amount took several days for the same reason.. Then the bank took an additional 2-3 days to credit that amount to the cardholder.. Never instant.. 

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Why did he pay it ?

Just put his card in the machine and paid it without looking at the amount.

That is if he paid for it at the time of purchase, if it was added to his bill then I am more dumbfounded as nowadays with till/PoS systems you record the item purchased and the system works out the price.

There again maybe he was charged for a 1834 vintage bottle of Chateau Tasmania plonk by mistake.   

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Why pay for a 5.50 beer with a credit card? Has the world gone mad?

I tend to pay now using contactless even for small amounts of even a a pound or two...

52 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Or use contactless card payment up to £30.

I do wounder why alarm bells did not ring when the machine did not accept contactless payment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, owenm said:

The Manchester pub, or any retailer worldwide for that matter, have a predetermined maximum daily refund amount determined by Visa or Mastercard, part of their merchant conditions.. 

So they may have had a £6k daily refund limit, hence 9 days for a full refund.. I had a former customer return faulty goods of AUD 5k, and to refund the full amount took several days for the same reason.. Then the bank took an additional 2-3 days to credit that amount to the cardholder.. Never instant.. 

Having never had to make a refund in 8 years of taking card payments I would not know, but in this case apart from contacting the hotel do you not think he would have contacted his card provider?

As he is a journalist maybe it is not just the bill that was padded...

28 minutes ago, owenm said:

Wrong, any transaction can be void or refunded prior to settling without any limit.