Asia's Beaches Go Quiet as Chinese Tourists Stay Home

webfact

53 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Bloomberg? And you lot think TAT make things up? ????

The malaise in the Chinese economy? ???? Oh yeah?

Why cant I get a seat to Utapao until October then?

Where from? I couldn't find anywhere where I couldn't get a flight from this month. And certainly from China there is loads of capacity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, quandow said:

I hear they're opening up an Indian-themed club there. Yay.

There are several new Indian clubs such as Goa playing Hip Hop  Tecno, EDM etc. Other clubs have been around over a decade. There are about 14 Indian Dance clubs. There are rumours that a new Chinese Karoke Bar is opening on Soi 15 WS replacing Angel Witch. Chinese food, Chinese speaking staff etc

I won't miss them for a second.

However, getting the farangs back as spenders... will be another episode of Mission Impossible.

They ( Thailand ) <deleted> up that much big time by welcoming all others but farangs, that they show a stiff middle finger now. And they are very much right.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I have a friend who has retired in Bali. His house used to be in the middle of rice fields but now there are bungalows, hotels and bars all around him and the place is awash with western tourists. No TM30, no 90 day reporting, and after having lived there with his wife (bali woman) for 7 years he doesn't need to do a visa extension anymore.

sure, but where in Thailand is this Bali place? 

• Sad 1

Not only China, been several reports about much lower bookings on Europe-Asia routes for this Xmas & New Year compared to the same time last year. Sites like Momondo/Kayak saying they are expecting prices to fall for many dates, again unusual for this time of year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I have a friend who has retired in Bali. His house used to be in the middle of rice fields but now there are bungalows, hotels and bars all around him and the place is awash with western tourists. No TM30, no 90 day reporting, and after having lived there with his wife (bali woman) for 7 years he doesn't need to do a visa extension anymore.

Bali is basically another Australian state.. no thanks and I'm Ozzie!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

Tonto, Tonto, we're in trouble, we're surrounded by Indians!!

Speak for yourself Kemo Sabie.

Good one, I haven't heard that in years...

1 hour ago, Selatan said:

From the article:

Not sure why Malaysia was the exception. I suspect that the sizeable local ethnic Chinese population that could speak in Mandarin and various Chinese dialects may be a big plus point. Very few Thai-Chinese and Indonesian Chinese could speak Mandarin. In the past year or so, I have noticed that some MM2H (Malaysia My Second Home) participants from China have posted their vlogs of their interactions with the local Chinese in Mandarin, and judging from the comments of the viewers, many mainlanders were delighted to find Mandarin to be widely spoken in Malaysia.

True, I used to hang with a Malaysian, Chinese decent. And his buds from China, Singapore would come in and they all spoke Mandarin, or Chinese I don't know the difference. They were thick.

Edited by garyk

26 minutes ago, garyk said:

True, I used to hang with a Malaysian, Chinese decent. And his buds from China, Singapore would come in and they all spoke Mandarin, or Chinese I don't know the difference. They were thick.

That's why I have asked before about how a farang in Thailand would be able to distinguish between an ethnic Chinese tourist from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia or Singapore. Very likely only an ethnic Chinese could distinguish between them by their slightly different accents of Mandarin. Easier still if they speak some other Chinese dialects, such as Cantonese (could be from Hong Kong or Kuala Lumpur) or Hokkien (could be from Taiwan, Penang or Singapore).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I once met a Chinese girl online and went to China to meet her. We stayed in a chalet on the Chinese coast. I've never seen such beautiful clean beaches. I honestly cannot see why they bother to travel when they have it better , nicer and more importantly safer at home.

That's true. China has Hainan:

I might visit it one day because it has a visa-exempt policy for some countries.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, soalbundy said:

quite a random post about your friend in bali