Pattaya is Dead - Lowest Foreigner Visits This Winter

Banana7

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Simple.

Choice and variety will decrease for western tourists and expats, and prices will increase. 

Thanks Leaver.

Other than the destruction of beer bars and eating venues to make way (provide room for) for large hotels, I don't see how your reply makes any  sense.

Would you please explain?

And this addresses why expats should care about tourist numbers?

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a break from Pattaya and I don't know when I'll be back. Been living there since 2013. It has lost it's charm somehow. 
I'll probably still visit from time to time. But I think a lot of people are thinking the same as me. 
I'm in EU and will probably spend a few months in Portugal during the winter. I need to work and save up money anyway. Working as a digital nomad I can live anywhere , then time will tell if I will miss Thailand after a while. Probably not.  

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Thanks Leaver.

Other than the destruction of beer bars and eating venues to make way (provide room for) for large hotels, I don't see how your reply makes any  sense.

Would you please explain?

And this addresses why expats should care about tourist numbers?

Ok.  Let me simplify it for you, using fictitious figures, for the purposes of example. 

In the past, say 1 million western foreigners came to Pattaya, and there was 1000 bars and / or restaurants that catered for that market.

In contrast, during the same period, there was 100,000 Chinese and Indians that came to Pattaya, and there was 100 bars and / or restaurants that catered for that market.

Fast forward to 2019, and beyond, and once again, using fictitious figures for the purpose of example, we are / will see these figures reverse, and dramatically.  

For example, 5 million Chinese and Indians come to Pattaya, with 5000 bars / restaurants to cater for that market. 

In contrast, due to a variety of factors, westerners coming to Pattaya decrease to 100,000, with 100 bars / restaurants to cater for that market.  

What you will see is bars and restaurant that previously catered for westerners being converted into Indian restaurants for example. 

Now, I don't mind a good curry, but westerners will see their variety and choice in bars and restaurants decrease here in the future, and prices will rise due to less competition and a smaller market for bulk supply from wholesalers, not to mention greedy Thai landlords raising rents on the surviving western businesses.  

Add to this, Thailand has become less appealing to the next generation of retirees, which will further compound this issue, and can you now see how we will all be effected?

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

My pal is a genuine tourist who certainly had an 'issue'. He's a retired plumber who visits Pattaya 3 or 4 times a year for 4 week visits yet he got 'weeded out' and accused of working at BKK airport immigration recently.

They let him in after a 40 minute interrogation but it left him with a nasty taste in his mouth and is an indication of which way the wind seems to be blowing.

I had 34 entries in 6 years, some extended VE’s inc 3 extended SETV’s and an Extended METV back to back with an SETV (9 days separating them) up until May this year. Never an eye batted.

I guess I just got lucky 

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Ok.  Let me simplify it for you, using fictitious figures, for the purposes of example. 

In the past, say 1 million western foreigners came to Pattaya, and there was 1000 bars and / or restaurants that catered for that market.

In contrast, during the same period, there was 100,000 Chinese and Indians that came to Pattaya, and there was 100 bars and / or restaurants that catered for that market.

Fast forward to 2019, and beyond, and once again, using fictitious figures for the purpose of example, we are / will see these figures reverse, and dramatically.  

For example, 5 million Chinese and Indians come to Pattaya, with 5000 bars / restaurants to cater for that market. 

In contrast, due to a variety of factors, westerners coming to Pattaya decrease to 100,000, with 100 bars / restaurants to cater for that market.  

What you will see is bars and restaurant that previously catered for westerners being converted into Indian restaurants for example. 

Now, I don't mind a good curry, but westerners will see their variety and choice in bars and restaurants decrease here in the future, and prices will rise due to less competition and a smaller market for bulk supply from wholesalers, not to mention greedy Thai landlords raising rents on the surviving western businesses.  

Add to this, Thailand has become less appealing to the next generation of retirees, which will further compound this issue, and can you now see how we will all be effected?

You say that less western bars and restaurants will be less appealing yet every man and his dog is saying enough of Thailand let’s go to Cambo, Viet, Laos or further, much less ‘western’ infrastructure. 

It’ll all be down to the almighty $$ IMO

12 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

You say that less western bars and restaurants will be less appealing yet every man and his dog is saying enough of Thailand let’s go to Cambo, Viet, Laos or further, much less ‘western’ infrastructure. 

It’ll all be down to the almighty $$ IMO

Many are leaving Thailand because they have , rather than through choice

23 hours ago, wgdanson said:

The pretty ones will have gone somewhere else, leaving the fattie uglies, and do you not know that it is the Thai business plan to put prices UP if it is quiet.

You read from the book of cliches. You defo do not know Pattaya. You may think you do..

but you dont. Have you ever lived in Pattaya? What bars  clubs and restaurants do you go to? 

1 minute ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You read from the book of cliches. You defo fo not know Pattaya. You may think you do..

but you dont. Have you ever lived in Pattaya? What bars  clubs and restaurants do you go to? 

Agreed. I’ve never seen so many bars with 50, 55 & 65 baht beers. Cheap, cheap food. Even taxis to Suvarnabhum are dirt cheap (1000). The list goes on...

12 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

You say that less western bars and restaurants will be less appealing

No.  Show me where I said that.

I said, "Thailand has become less appealing to the next generation of retirees."

What "less western infrastructure" are you talking about? 

19 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I had 34 entries in 6 years, some extended VE’s inc 3 extended SETV’s and an Extended METV back to back with an SETV (9 days separating them) up until May this year. Never an eye batted.

I guess I just got lucky 

How long before your luck runs out?  Do you have a Plan B?

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Not sure if you've ever been to Pattaya, but over the years I've noticed  there's no shortage of loud, obnoxious Europeans cadging beers and down wind from whom you would not want to be. Have to admit it's been years since I've been in touristy areas, but judging from frequent posts on TV about their antics I would assume that hasn't changed much. 

I would guess that it hasn't changed much. Still the preserve of bitter and twisted old guys stuck in Nakon Nowhere with nothing better to do than furiously bash away on their keyboards day and night, decrying anyone who is having a better time than them.

The national trend in property purchase (condos in particular) has been reliably recorded as down, big time...there is an oversupply v decreasing demand...and certainly in BKK, developers are obsessed with condos and shopping malls whilst ignoring the inherent infrastructure problems leading to more and more traffic jams...the neighborhoods immediate and close to BTS stations are case in point

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've not been to Pattaya for 10 years and am confused by all the threads ..........

Pattaya is packed ........ Pattaya is empty .......... they can't both be true.

There are limited observations from the bar stool and broader observations.

Many fail to see the Chinese at the next table, the mall, the street, presuming they are Thai.

56 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You read from the book of cliches. You defo do not know Pattaya. You may think you do..

I lived and worked in Pattaya from 2009 for 6 years and was part of the music/entertainment scene.

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've not been to Pattaya for 10 years and am confused by all the threads ..........

Pattaya is packed ........ Pattaya is empty .......... they can't both be true.

Bars are empty.  Most Barstool Economists in this thread think Pattaya extends from Soi 6 to Soi 13.  Other tourist locations are packed.  High season is still a ways off.  ????

Archived