I was in Bangkok yesterday & what I saw depressed me.

kellersphuket

44 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

I never used to see it going on when I lived in BKK 20+ years ago.

Now it seems they are everywhere, waiting only for some unsuspecting foreigner to drop a cig butt.

Well no sympathy for the smokers dropping their butts being fined, should ban it in public spaces, and fine everyone not only the "wealthy" farangs

Now it seems they are everywhere, waiting only for some unsuspecting foreigner to drop a cig butt.

Johng was correct, I got fined 2000 ThB right on the corner of Soi4 and that is more than 10y ago, I know since I quit 10y ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, kellersphuket said:

I got a fine 10 years ago on Sukhumvit in broad daylight of 500 THB and he gave me a receipt. Its municipal police if I recall. I could see from the other receipts in the book that they had been mostly Thai as the 500THB fines was in Thai writing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

police/security guy waiting on the path and prowling for foreigners dropping ciggarettes on the floor. I watched him constantly for the next 3 hours.

You visited Nana and you watched that guy constantly for 3 hours.

I am not surprised that you are depressed...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

I would be depressed as well if I spent several hours watching a city inspector bust people for dropping cig. butts

I would be depressed as well if I spent several hours watching a city inspector doing nothing more than his job!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

No. But if they tried to fine me for something similar the phone would be out in a flash!

Why?  You would have been committing an offence, what good would your out-in-a-flash phone have done you?  Are you suggesting that they are not authorised to fine offenders?

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why?  You would have been committing an offence, what good would your out-in-a-flash phone have done you?  Are you suggesting that they are not authorised to fine offenders?

why aren't they fining thais then who do the same thing?

Why just foreigners??

Can't you see the real issue in my post?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its very wrong. Yes - everyone dropping their cigarette butts and littering should be fined to equal amounts - when only Westerners are targeted it becomes obvious what this is, sanctioned extortion of Westerners - a money grab. 

It's great when someone actually gets what I am talking about.

10 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:
16 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

why aren't they fining thais then who do the same thing?

Why just foreigners??

Can't you see the real issue in my post?

If it's true then there is an issue but that wouldn't make it ok for you to do it, would it?

Did you not see this post 40, or did you ignore it deliberately?...

"What were the specific numbers of Thais whose transgressions were ignored, you must have those numbers if you were so attentive, yes?" 

1 hour ago, aqua4 said:

I got a fine 10 years ago on Sukhumvit in broad daylight of 500 THB and he gave me a receipt. Its municipal police if I recall. I could see from the other receipts in the book that they had been mostly Thai as the 500THB fines was in Thai writing. 

The OP may not appreciate you supplying facts which contradicts his narrative.  This kellers guy seems determined to go through life as a perpetual victim.

• Like 1

This has been going on for years.

They are not police. They wear similar uniforms but they work for the BMA. Hence no guns. They do not have the power to arrest you.

In this case, it's one bunch of a-holes scamming another bunch of a-holes, namely the low class smokers that think the floor is their dustbin. 

It's all good!

• Like 1

Too bad.

Smokers disgust me and create billions in medical costs around the world. Sickness and disease. What a positive way to live life.

Good for the enforcement I say Bust um all for whatever is possible.

Edited by bkk6060

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My question here to those posters who are finding fault with the Ops observations: It it ok to specifically target and charge a Westerners for this *but not Thais?

Soi 4 is mainly lady boys, trying to fine one of them is a guaranteed heel to the back of the head

Edited by madmen
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

It's not only smokers, it's trash in general. 

There's no trashcan anywhere close at the whole phrom phong bts, it's absolute madness... It's all already figured out why people litter, Thailand could just accept the facts that Walt Disney figured out many many decades ago: https://www.thedailymeal.com/travel/disney-park-secrets-keep-magic-alive-gallery/slide-8

Did you ever count the trashcans in singapore, every x metres...no one there litters. It just works.

Also older Singaporeans well remember the days when you faced not only a fine but jail for littering, chewing gum in public and longer hair.