Thai navy inks deal for LPD warship from China

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

a Chinese shipbuilding company build a Type 071E landing platform dock (LPD) warship for the Thai navy

From Thailand to acquire amphibious ship from China (https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2019/09/12/thailand-to-acquire-amphibious-ship-from-china/ ):

• No details regarding the price, delivery dates or onboard systems were disclosed, though Thai newspaper The Bangkok Post reported that the ship will cost $200.7 million, with construction to last three years. Thai media reports previously said the Chinese design would cost $130 million.
  • “the Type 071E has been integrated with several major improvements and upgrades” and is “more advanced in technology and more powerful in comprehensive performance than the PLA’s in-commission Type 071 integrated LPD.”

Considering all the government's spending priorities, surely this purchase isn't necessary.

7 hours ago, John1012 said:

Why buy this LPD? They have a defunct carrier, that can be converted to carry troops, landing craft. vehicles, both military and civilian,helicopters, hospital resources...probably be cheaper than a new ship, and provide a legitimate purpose for the white elephant..

The carrier is only "defunct" (and unable to fulfill its design function) because it lacks aeroplanes.

When China starts exporting ("very cheap for our Thai friends") the naval versions of the VSTOL aeroplanes that it is developing they will equip the Chakri Naruebet (and Thailands neighbours will be suitably "impressed").

Meanwhile a purpose designed LPD ("very cheap for our Thai friends") will fulfill its design function.

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Any country you want to dream about. More fiction: "the country’s troop deployment capability in the high seas."

Just as fictitious as the country of Sarkhan (The Ugly American 1963)

Edit: Having said that, the Thai navy did fight the Japanse in 1941 for five hours, when they invaded Thailand.

Does the Thai Navy even have refueling vessels? Or will they have to pull into a port each time to get fuel? 

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Boosting the countries troop deployment capabilities on the high seas.:cheesy: Why?

The riots if they ever come with be in Bangkok, not on the high seas.

Maybe they'll park their boats in the khlongs. Given the state of maintenance in Thailand might be the safest option anyway.

10 hours ago, dimitriv said:

I thought the only threat in the region is China?

the boat will have an inbuilt Kill switch...

the crypto intelligence suite, will be Huawei enabled...

so - this boat would never be allowed to bob it's way into an US Navy port fer sure!! 

Just now, tifino said:

the boat will have an inbuilt Kill switch...

the crypto intelligence suite, will be Huawei enabled...

so - this boat would never be allowed to bob it's way into an US Navy port fer sure!! 

Thailand should have the best military equipment available.

Strong baht  =  strong military..

1 minute ago, tifino said:

marching on, to the ever stronger beat of the Chinese drums:

Image result for punch and judy soldier

That's absolutely correct and likely nothing will prevent it other than some kind of all out  nuclear war.

I don't think the UK is ready to launch all its missiles just yet, however.

At least I hope not.

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

But only a tourist attraction for Thais.

My experience a few years back was at an 'open day' with my then girlfriend. I was refused admission by a sailor at the entrance to the ship, my (Thai) girlfriend was waved through.

When I asked why, I was told that foreigners were not allowed on board for security reasons.

I quickly pointed out there was a group of half-a-dozen Chinese immediately in front of us who were allowed on.

The sailor said that "Chinese were OK".

Same result several years ago.  Got a good chuckle out of their stern, serious looking faces, but I "get it", and just carried on.  My first ship was commissioned in 1945, so I was interested to see the old girl's material condition, maybe spot some antiques, like a museum tour.

11 hours ago, John1012 said:

Why buy this LPD? They have a defunct carrier, that can be converted to carry troops, landing craft. vehicles, both military and civilian,helicopters, hospital resources...probably be cheaper than a new ship, and provide a legitimate purpose for the white elephant..

Wrong on almost every level. For a start the carrier is NOT defunct- it was across in the Andaman Sea late last year. IIRC it puts to sea once a month as well just to turn the systems over.

Attempting to convert the ship to an LPD configuration would cost more than a new ship and would not work anyway. Its all about the layout of the ship. The key is in the 'D' bit of LPD. 'D' is for Dock. In a carrier the space is up top under the deck- the hangar. In an LPD the back drops down and landing craft can be floated in and out- the vehicle area tends to be forward of  the dock. A carrier is high above the water, an LPD is not. Its pretty difficult to try and flood bits of a carrier whilst an LPD is designed to be flooded. Winching LCVPs and other stuff down from the sides of a carrier would not be good for morale.

For all the chest beaters and clothes renders this is actually a practical ship for the Thai Navy to purchase as it can be used along both costs in disaster relief operations. Probably one of the more sensible decisions they have made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

The carrier is only "defunct" (and unable to fulfill its design function) because it lacks aeroplanes.

When China starts exporting ("very cheap for our Thai friends") the naval versions of the VSTOL aeroplanes that it is developing they will equip the Chakri Naruebet (and Thailands neighbours will be suitably "impressed").

Meanwhile a purpose designed LPD ("very cheap for our Thai friends") will fulfill its design function.

Well before you start buying other things wouldn't be smarter to Finnish the first job?

Cut half the grass them go off and cut half the hedge then sit back and say that looks just right

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Some top notch acting from the new recruit after the second chorus:

3.00... "But, but, but I'm afraid of water!"

3.06... "Hey, hey look man, I get seasick even watching it on the TV!" 

3.15... "What am I gonna do in a submarine?" 

Edited by lamyai3

It is good to shop around for goods, prices, service, etc.  But isn't there now a lot of cost and time and effort involved in just making all the language translations, gauge and dial labels, operator and training manuals, etc.  Are you going to have the Chinese, or USA or Germany work on translating all that stuff for all these weapon systems?  Wouldn't it be more efficient to stay more or less with one country, USA for the sake of argument and get over all the lessons learned of translations, precise meanings of words, etc?   Or are the Thais going to have to learn the native languages of the country the ships come from?

They will land in Phuket storm the beaches and round up all the TM-30 violators and ship them to China to be prosecuted... 

Edited by garyk