Who Has Visited The New Rimping

p1p

What I used to like about the old Rimping (the one that just closed) is that they used to often mark down a 350g round of some great smelly round of Camembert from 350B, to 100B, because it was within a week of its expiry date. Like a moldy, aged cheese is suddenly BAD (!!!?!). I used to swoop on these deals all the time. Now they've moved to BFE (for me)- I am truly adrift....

Hang on a second here - the old Rimping has closed? This is the one next to the river? When did this happen? Now I have to go to the new one or to Maejo? This is just not good enough - I like that store. If it has closed are they renovating it or has it had its demise?

Enquiring minds want to know

woo hoo this is my 300th post?

The one that closed is on Chotana Rd, I believe.

The one near the river is still open.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I used to like about the old Rimping (the one that just closed) is that they used to often mark down a 350g round of some great smelly round of Camembert from 350B, to 100B, because it was within a week of its expiry date. Like a moldy, aged cheese is suddenly BAD (!!!?!). I used to swoop on these deals all the time. Now they've moved to BFE (for me)- I am truly adrift....

Hang on a second here - the old Rimping has closed? This is the one next to the river? When did this happen? Now I have to go to the new one or to Maejo? This is just not good enough - I like that store. If it has closed are they renovating it or has it had its demise?

just went to the Rimping website www.rimping.com and the one that is closing is the one near the Novatel Hotel. The original next to the River (Nawarat Site) is open and the Mee Chock (have chocolates?) at Meijo is open. The Kad Farung on Hangdong Road is open. The Novatel Rimping is moving to this new one (Nim City)

:o

just went to the Rimping website www.rimping.com and the one that is closing is the one near the Novatel Hotel. The original next to the River (Nawarat Site) is open and the Mee Chock (have chocolates?) at Meijo is open. The Kad Farung on Hangdong Road is open. The Novatel Rimping is moving to this new one (Nim City)

The new Rimping is worth checking out for just the bakery alone, great French and Italian breads. They even have a French style cheese room and a temperature controlled wine room (cellar).. The deli they have compares to any of the ones i used to frequent in Marseilles.. :D

I need to replace my vegemite but at 285Baht for a 235gm jar it is a luxury - I would hate to price a bucket of it like in AussieThaid's avatar!

$39.95 USD plus postage and hadling (approx $15.00 USD)..

Any problems with customs because it is a food product althought they (Thai Customs) probably don't recognise it as such?

You have the rest of the contact details for getting it?

Just tell them it's road tar... Go here.. http://www.simplyoz.com/products/aussie_fo...ceries/vegemite

Mate what a site - need to check it out more but they also have a section of New Zealand products for our kiwi friends

post-36525-1174633660_thumb.jpg

couldn't tell if it already had velco attached to the palms already or it it was an optional extra

These might suit the Kiwis better, a woolen muff pad, for those lonely ole nights. baaaa

post-31110-1174666463.jpg

My wife and I thought the prices were high. Especially for produce.

We had a humerous time trying to describe marshmallos to several of the Thai employees. Eventually, they got them, however.

Nice place to shop if you 'have to' have something you can't find elsewhere.

I don't have a great deal of interest in food.

Eat to live. Don't live to eat, man! :o

I agree, Ulysses. But then I get a craving for corn chips...corn chips; what's so freakin' special about that? And where, besides Rimping, can I either get the Thai brand or pay 98 dollars for Nacho flavored Doritos? And those foreigners who have to have their brand of jelly/jam, wine, cheese...life's little pleasures. Or, a copy of Road&Track.

Wait a minute - isn't Ulysses the one who's always scouting all the restaurants? You don't have a great deal of interest in food?

98 dollars?!?!?!

My wife and I thought the prices were high. Especially for produce.

We had a humerous time trying to describe marshmallos to several of the Thai employees. Eventually, they got them, however.

Nice place to shop if you 'have to' have something you can't find elsewhere.

That's funny because Marshmollow in Thai is marshmallow - the trick is to say it in a way that sounds wrong that way it will be correct in Thai.

Eat to live. Don't live to eat, man! :D

I agree, Ulysses. But then I get a craving for corn chips...corn chips; what's so freakin' special about that? And where, besides Rimping, can I either get the Thai brand or pay 98 dollars for Nacho flavored Doritos? And those foreigners who have to have their brand of jelly/jam, wine, cheese...life's little pleasures. Or, a copy of Road&Track.

Wait a minute - isn't Ulysses the one who's always scouting all the restaurants? You don't have a great deal of interest in food?

98 dollars?!?!?!

Simple really:

1) He is an American

2) He is Ulysses G

UG recipe for Nachos

1) using standard 6 foot cassarole dish (use the one with the high sides, the low one (2' tall) doesn't make enough

2) fill dish with 400 kilograms of corn chips

3) cover with a generous layer (2' thick is about right) of cheese

4) mix up a tub (bath size) of refried beans

5) spread beans over the corn chips - easiest if you just shovel it on and rake it smooth - utensils available at most gardening stores

6) add more cheese - this time don't be stingy

7) bake in an industrial size oven

8) serve with guacamole and sour cream (available by the truck or the new handy concrete mixer size)

9) serves one (American) or half of any developing nation

Rimping opened a new supermarket on Friday last. It is on Mahidol Road heading south from the moat, just before the traffic lights at the airport junction.

The shop is a dream come true for me, with the huge selection of new, quality Farang produce.

Who else has been there and what are your impressions?

Tut tut.

Asking about thye best supermarket in "Thailand" and then hiding it in the CM forum. :o

Have you guys ever been to the Gourmet Market in Emporium.

Cheers

98 dollars?!?!?!

Simple really:

1) He is an American

2) He is Ulysses G Really? :o

UG recipe for Nachos

1) using standard 6 foot cassarole dish (use the one with the high sides, the low one (2' tall) doesn't make enough

5) spread beans over the corn chips - easiest if you just shovel it on and rake it smooth - utensils available at most gardening stores

8) serve with guacamole and sour cream (available by the truck or the new handy concrete mixer size)

:D

98 dollars?!?!?!

Simple really:

1) He is an American

2) He is Ulysses G Really? :o

UG recipe for Nachos

:D

ooops - should have been grtaylor - still if you know our UG you have to admit that it was funny and appropriate. I can see AusThaid coming at me with his ###### "spank me" emoticon again. Sigh. :D

OK, so I finally make the trek to the new, improved Rimping at Airport Central. 1st impressions good, very easy access, security guards even walk out on Mahidol Rd to assist entering/exiting customers. Enter store, long narrow left to right profile. Seems somewhat smaller than the just closed store near Novatel. Still, all new racking, displays, etc. Produce dept. immaculate, but much truncated version of the other store..where's my CM Hydroponics lettuce? Never found it. Moving to deli meats dept- appears to have 1/2 the brands they carried before at other location. I had a list of items to buy: Duang Dee Hill Tribe coffee, Dacheeso mozzarella (smoked and regular), Buonissimo pizza bread, etc. Found all these items no prob. Perused the entire store, every aisle, seemed satisfactory.

HOWEVER (my emphasis) I noticed a few glaring inadequacies; to wit:

1) They want to sell you their bread, that they bake in their own (hi-tech) bakery. I used to buy simple French baguette, no name, in a basket by the far register at the old store. You had to bag it yourself, in a slip sleeve. Cost was 17 B. I suspect it was product they sourced from a nearby hotel, that they bought for farthings, and still sold at 17 B for a very nice profit. No evidence of that bread now- just this very suspect-looking baguette in their bakery display case, way too dark/overcooked, with very sharp pointey ends. Looked like something an Etruscan warrior could spear a Roman centurion with; not a food item. Price: 35 B ! All the myriad out sourced bakery product they used to carry (Jo's Bakery- German breads, etc.) seem to have been eliminated or greatly reduced.

2) The old store had a HUGE section of household goods- BBQ items, cookware, glasses, dinnerware, plastic food containers, etc. All these have been reduced to a token few (overpriced) cookware items on 1 aisle.

(As a side note, I fully understand what is happening here. They did inventory and sales research, marketing studies, etc. and are going with what they feel will move best in this new location. This is Retail 101. I have no problem with this; just noting the discrepancies for those who have not been there yet).

BUT, HERE COMES NUMBER THREE...DRUMROLL....

3) I wanted to buy oregano. A common herb used in Italian and French and Mexican cooking. That's right, OREGANO. I didn't care if it was French oregano, Turkish oregano, Greek oregano, blue oregano, or oregano from the planet Sirius-B (Austhaied, are you listening?!!). The Old Store had McGarrett oregano, McKormick oregano, you name it oregano all over the place. New store: Zilch. Zero. Nada. Oregano has been sucked into a Black Hole in Space. Oregano Anti-Matter is forming just outside the boundries of the known universe....this could get ugly. And there were no shelf labels to indicate this was simply an out of stock item. They did have this horrible ghastly pale green powder in one squat container labeled Ground Oregano. Looked like something one should mix with water, and apply as a salve for an insect bite. Again, not a food item.

Of course, being a paranoic, I have 2 simple explanations for this PROFOUND tragedy:

1) p1p had scooped up all the dried oregano in Northern Thailand for the new international-scale production of his seductively-flavored pasta sauce.

AND/OR

2) Ulysses G secretly scored the pizza oven from True Blue, and is planning a pizza domination scheme that requires ungodly amounts of oregano. And he has it all stashed in some hidden location.

Gentlemen (and Ladies): Forget about global warming, the war in Iraq, George "Dubya" Bush, pollution in CM, etc.

There is a Serious Oregano Problem at the new Rimping Supermarket... :o

Edited by mcgriffith

p1p had scooped up all the dried oregano in Northern Thailand for the new international-scale production of his seductively-flavored pasta sauce.

Gentlemen (and Ladies): Forget about global warming, the war in Iraq, George "Dubya" Bush, pollution in CM, etc.

There is a Serious Oregano Problem at the new Rimping Supermarket... :o

Surprisingly, I plead guilty. I purchased the only two packs on Saturday. Couldn't find any Bay leaves there though.

(And I agree with your observations about the bakery, cold meat section and their exorbitant prices.)

ooops - should have been grtaylor - still if you know our UG you have to admit that it was funny and appropriate. I can see AusThaid coming at me with his ###### "spank me" emoticon again. Sigh. :o

Prepare for another spanking it was PB.

Cheers

ooops - should have been grtaylor - still if you know our UG you have to admit that it was funny and appropriate. I can see AusThaid coming at me with his ###### "spank me" emoticon again. Sigh. :D

Prepare for another spanking it was PB.

Cheers

ah crap - what a day :o

You do realise that I do this on purpose just to give AussieThaid an opportunity to try out his new emoticons. The funny thing is he LOOKS LIKE THEM IN REAL LIFE :D

Look on her face when I told her that farung LIKE to eat blue vein cheese and it is meant to be mouldy - priceless :D

God - I'm having nightmares about this. Thank Zeus my wife got to know and like REAL cheese in Europe. She has an addiction to the true King of cheeses, Stilton and any runny cheese, the smellier the better. A close friend brought a whole ripe Stilton from England a few months ago. Didn't even last a month, and I had by far the smallest share.....

mine has the same addiction.spent too long in NZ!!I did manage to fob of some of the local blue cheese tough.It got soo bad, that before a road trip,she would buy a big wedge (of the cheap stuff) and demolish the lot in a couple of hours...... :D ...no crackers either.They apparantly cut down on the sharpness etc... :o

Look on her face when I told her that farung LIKE to eat blue vein cheese and it is meant to be mouldy - priceless :D

God - I'm having nightmares about this. Thank Zeus my wife got to know and like REAL cheese in Europe. She has an addiction to the true King of cheeses, Stilton and any runny cheese, the smellier the better. A close friend brought a whole ripe Stilton from England a few months ago. Didn't even last a month, and I had by far the smallest share.....

mine has the same addiction.spent too long in NZ!!I did manage to fob of some of the local blue cheese tough.It got soo bad, that before a road trip,she would buy a big wedge (of the cheap stuff) and demolish the lot in a couple of hours...... :D ...no crackers either.They apparantly cut down on the sharpness etc... :o

I bought a small wedge of blue from the Rimping next to the river (funny they should consider using "next the river" as a name) and ate it when I got home with Carr's crackers - the wife wouldn't be in the room with me when I ate it and then handed me a toothbrush and mouthwash as soon as I had finished. She was looking distinctively ill. She was still complaining about the smell this morning and put her hand over her mouth and nose to get the bread out to make me toast.

This from someone who will happily chow down on deep fried locusts and loves a soup made from the brains and testicles of pigs.

Funny heh, it's all in our mind. Most of us get the creeps thinking about eating bugs :D , but we drool thinking about a Lobster :o. Lemme tell you , a lobster is a freakingly ugly beast !

Blue cheese...mamma mia , in Italy we have regular blue cheese (gorgonzola) spicy blue cheese, sweet blue cheese (mixed with mascarpone cheese). Man I'm gettin fat just at the thought :D

Gnocchi or Penne and blue cheese yum yum

Personally, I'm sad to see the Novotel Rimping close - it had a good laid-back feel to it, kind of ramshackle and chaotic but it worked. Above all, it was bright enough that you could find your way around and people didn't bump into each other so much. More than that, the new branch seems to be attracting more people who appear to be going there to be seen there or at least are only window-shopping (but inside) - whereas the Novotel branch always had a "purposeful" clientele. I nearly gave up on the new place after it took nearly 10 minutes to get from the entrance through the fresh produce and meat section - so many people were just browsing, examining and chatting rather than actually selecting anything to buy. Also - is it me or does the new branch have 200% more staff adding to the congestion on the sales floor?

Oh - and I could really do without the Mozart. Never did find out where the string quartet were playing - but maybe Rimping should consider ditching them and giving the freed-up floor area over to sales space? :o

On the plus side - got to love the in-store bakery and I hope they'll expand the range. The Novotel bakery section was always a let-down compared to what the rest of the store had to offer.

This from someone who will happily chow down on deep fried locusts and loves a soup made from the brains and testicles of pigs.

Don't forget the som tam with fermented crab. And those lovely packages of "chicken tendons" in the market....

The sharper, the better. Gorgonzola, Stilton- all marvelous. But some of the cheap export Danish blue cheeses- maravilloso!

mine has the same addiction.spent too long in NZ!!I did manage to fob of some of the local blue cheese tough.It got soo bad, that before a road trip,she would buy a big wedge (of the cheap stuff) and demolish the lot in a couple of hours...... :bah: ...no crackers either.They apparantly cut down on the sharpness etc... :o

Don't forget the som tam with fermented crab. And those lovely packages of "chicken tendons" in the market....

The sharper, the better. Gorgonzola, Stilton- all marvelous. But some of the cheap export Danish blue cheeses- maravilloso!

Ummm actually I really like som tam with the blaa raa (fermented fish paste) and the crabs :D but my wife doesn't, she orders phet breow - spicy sour and then we eat it together.

The chicken tendons are good with beer (fried) and make a tasty meal with vegetables or as a soup. Hmmm I think I have been here too long :D

Ok detour back on topic :D

I had to go back into town again last night - that makes it two nights in a row woo hoo - so stopped off at the rimping to pick up the essential supplies.

1) Vegemite - what the ----? sold out ahh crap ok alternative number 2

2) Sanitarium Crunchy Peanut paste - sold out but there are 4,327 jars of smooth which I HATE

3) Spicy fruit rolls - none left, sold out, nada, nix, not a pack in sight - what is this a conspiracy?

So thinking I would forget the whole deal and for the first time walk out of Rimping for less than a 1,000 Baht I headed to the doors, mobile rings, I answer it's the wife and she hangs up so that I will call her back.

Call her - hi, where am I? , I am at the Rimping, No I haven't bought anything because it is all sold out - no not the whole shop just the things I want, what's that? What do you want me to buy for you? An Apple? You want me to buy you an APPLE? OK what colour apple - a white one? they don't have white ones, no sweetheart the white is the inside, what colour on the outside, ok any colour, are you sure? yes, ok an apple I will buy, anything else? - no ok - what's that? any colour apple except the green ones? ok what about a red one - you want a red apple? No you don't want a red apple, any colour apple except the green or the red ones, this is limiting in choice. Ok how about the red ones, with a bit of yellow and green - ok anything will do will it, ok anything except the red ones and the green ones, ok One apple to go, wassat? you want some Vitasoy milk - one pack, and some toothpaste, wassat? And some shampoo - what brand? The blue one - right that is really narrowing it down now? the Blue Shampoo - you mean Dove - no the one with the bird on it, no sweetheart that white splotch on the plastic bottle is a bird - no really it is - believe me it is a ^&%in' bird OK! Anything else - no ok will do.

To save typing - I got four more phone calls - well she called me and I have to call her back - to add to the shopping list - 1,780 Baht and I still haven't got my vegemite which is why I went there in the first place. Sigh, you have to love living in this country.

Edited by Crow Boy

Must say - I find the idea iof fried beer quite intriguing myself.

There's one in every crowd <sigh> - fry the tendons in hot oil with fresh chili (2 - 20 depending on cast iron durability of digestive organs), drain onto paper towel - depending on the Thai bar it could be yesterdays newspaper, then put in a small bowl with fried chili slices. Eat between frequent quaffs of beer. The actual frequency of the quaffs vs nibbles is entirely up to the individual consumer.

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

Must say - I find the idea iof fried beer quite intriguing myself.

There's one in every crowd <sigh> - fry the tendons in hot oil with fresh chili (2 - 20 depending on cast iron durability of digestive organs), drain onto paper towel - depending on the Thai bar it could be yesterdays newspaper, then put in a small bowl with fried chili slices. Eat between frequent quaffs of beer. The actual frequency of the quaffs vs nibbles is entirely up to the individual consumer.

CB

Chickens tendons...You have been here too long mate..

Just go here and fill in the details... http://www.lastminute.com/site/find/World/...ia--Flight.html

64e08db.gif