Best Butter?

ricklev

"Best" would be a relative term wouldn't it? Best for taste, best for spreading, best for price. The blends etc are usually labelled as such and reflected in the price.

An expensive way to buy butter in those single serve packs and usually for catering /restaurants.

17 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I wonder why Lurpak costs twice as much as Anchor?

Because they feed the cows on Carlsberg in Denmark.   LOL

It is quite a biy more expensive in UK than other butters, but it is very nice tasting.

I find Allowrie (n Zealand? ) to be OK for baking and butties.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I find Allowrie (n Zealand? ) to be OK for baking and butties.

Not New Zealand, and not butter.  It's manufactured in Thailand from imported butter oil and miscellaneous unnatural chemicals by the Kim Chua Group.  The kangaroo on the pack is simply there to fool the gullible.  (They also make "Imperial" products.)

Orchid (mentioned above) is similarly not butter.  

35 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Not New Zealand, and not butter.  It's manufactured in Thailand from imported butter oil and miscellaneous unnatural chemicals by the Kim Chua Group.  The kangaroo on the pack is simply there to fool the gullible.  (They also make "Imperial" products.)

Orchid (mentioned above) is similarly not butter.  

So which products available here are 'real' butter please.

Orchid and Allowrie say 82% butter content, so does it really matter?

39 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Real butter:  Emborg, Anchor, President, Elle & Vire, Ballantyne, Lurpak, Country Life, Anchor.  There are probably others, but these spring to mind.  Note that some of these brands include non-butter products in their range.

"82% butter content" almost certainly means "82% butter fat" (or possibly "82% butter oil").  Real butter is made from churning cream.  That's not what the Thai manufacturers are doing.  The butter content in their products is 0%.

7 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Real butter:  Emborg, Anchor, President, Elle & Vire, Ballantyne, Lurpak, Country Life, Anchor.  There are probably others, but these spring to mind.  Note that some of these brands include non-butter products in their range.

"82% butter content" almost certainly means "82% butter fat" (or possibly "82% butter oil").  Real butter is made from churning cream.  That's not what the Thai manufacturers are doing.  The butter content in their products is 0%.

Thanks for this info. I'll go for the Ballantynes !!!   LOL

6 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Anchor for me.

Most of the Thai manufactured 'butters' include a significant amount (30 to 50%) of palm oil - it tastes awful.

well it's not really Butter then!  more just a falsely labelled  Margarine blend

On 9/16/2019 at 3:49 PM, erymax said:

I stick to my self made butter. I make it from cream I am getting it from a raw milk. taste very nice. 

I used to do this but can't find raw milk in my area. I'm thinking about keeping a couple cow for meat and milk. 

Butter is really expensive out here in the sticks and the Allowrie stuff tastes awful. I've settled on the Orchid brand for cooking and baking, I know it's probably not real butter but it's close enough and I can get enough to last me a few weeks for 60 baht.

28 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Butter is really expensive out here in the sticks and the Allowrie stuff tastes awful. I've settled on the Orchid brand for cooking and baking, I know it's probably not real butter but it's close enough and I can get enough to last me a few weeks for 60 baht.

I go to Bangkok about every 3 months and I bring back a stash of Anchor. 

IMG_20190919_200345.jpg

On 9/16/2019 at 3:35 PM, wgdanson said:

Makro sells New Zealand Anchor butter, salted and unsalted for around B115 per 245g block. There is also a German brand that is also very good also salted and un. The Thai butter blends are inferior. I am surprised Chokchai Farms don't make butter and cheese as they have a large dairy herd. Butter here is ridiculously expensive especially Lurpak. With the high value baht and the foreign currencies weaker, you'd think that the prices would be lower. TIT! 

Archived