Do you like Thai people?

Yinn

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

1.) They not complain about the country they want to live in.

2.) Not complain about the US people, say they hate them. If they do hate them I would ask “why you want live there, all the bad people”

1.) Correct because the country works. It is based on equality and they can setup their business without problems. 

2.) Sure they do. They complain about the blacks who steal from their shop. Why do they live there - they make very good money. The children get a good education. They dont need an American to own 51% of their shop like you demand in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Same western country. 1.) My friend want to buy small house before in Australia. The law says can not. 2.) USA want to build wall. Brexit. 3.) Your education not so good if you not know about that.

4.) Maybe you blind. In Thailand you can buy some real estate. Same as foreigner western country.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/the-facts-about-foreign-buyers/

1.) The law says you can if you live in Australia on a 12 month visa but can only buy one house once pre-approved. (temporary resident). Now like your friend also needs approval but can only buy new property or old property that is going to rebuilt. (non-residents). In Thailand you cant buy a house as a foreigner only a condo where 51% of the units belong to Thai people. 

2.) Thats not an argument.

3.) Thats not an argument.

4.) No you cant. 51% of condo units must be owned by Thai people. Nobody here on thaivisa owns their own house. Its in the name of their Thai wife or in the name of a Thai company otherwise it is illegal. Some might have a superficies but that is not ownership of the land the house is built on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2019 at 2:35 AM, Momofarang said:

Quick one: how many times have you used "Farang" in your lengthy post.

On 9/18/2019 at 2:37 AM, Yinn said:

The guy I quote also use farang word. He can use, why I can not?

Is not the bad word.

your name!

On 9/18/2019 at 3:03 AM, MartinL said:

As I'm writing this, @Momofarang mentions the 'farang' word. Many, many times over the years, despite knowing my status as my wife's husband and my name, many Thais have chosen to say " ... is the 'farang' ...", " ... does the farang ... " rather than " ... does your husband ... ". I see that as EXTREMELY rude but it's been a very frequent occurrence in the past (not so much now) and it just makes me unlikely to treat them with respect because I see no respect coming from them. You might say that it's not intended to be offensive but simply using the word in place of my name or status is very offensive in my view. Once, when I was in a particularly bad mood for some reason, my wife's friend called me 'farang' and I replied calling her 'kamaen' (Cambodian). She didn't like it! I wonder whether she'd have appreciated being called 'Asian'?

But on the whole, Thais I meet are a good bunch. I think I like them to a greater degree than I would people in my country.

Lots of misconceptions of the word "farang" in this thread. Exemplified by MartinL's post.

I'd like to qualify Yinn's post with this short video, by a young Thai who explains the use of the word from a Thai POV.

Basically, it's not racist, it's actually quite polite.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

wipe away the thin veneer of culture and we are all the same, fearful.

Not me mate, far from it. People often say to me, "Which is best, this or that?". I invariably say, "Neither, they're just different, not better or worse, different". This is how I see Thai people, not better or worse, just different.

When I moved to Thailand, I had become bored with the UK. I wanted a new start, new experiences, new challenges. Thai people and their culture have given me all of that, embrace it, don't fear it, enjoy the journey.

Go to the YouTube channel of the guy in the video I posted above. He has many videos of life, love and laughter from a Thai POV. Explains a lot about the difference.

Happy now @steven100? 555

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Disgarding the racist discussion, you're totally wrong, and here's the reason why.

Polite Thai people always use an appropriate 'honourific' when talking to humans.

Khun, Yai, Ba, lung, nong, pee ...... all examples of this.

But no 'honourific' is required when talking about objects or animals.

My neighbours (rural folk, ignorant and uneducated, but pleasant enough, call me 'Lung (fa)Lang'.

So polite enough as they have used an appropriate title for me (Uncle)

Anyone who called me 'farang' without the 'honourific' in front would be talking to me as if I wasn't human, so it would be an insult.

Not according to a Thai. When you understand the Thai language and Thai people as well as he does, get back to me.

You are assuming that a Thai/issan Baan noak speaks perfect and gramatically correct Thai. Believe me, that's often far from the truth. I even have to correct my wife's use of Thai, at times. Don't forget, they're uneducated and Thai isn't their first langusge.

Edited by DannyCarlton

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not according to a Thai. When you understand the Thai language and Thai people as well as he does, get back to me.

I probably understand (Lanna/Central/Issan) Thai a lot better than you (I can also read and write central Thai), and am far better educated than him. If you actually spoke Thai, you would understand the insult.

Because I understand Thai, is one of the reasons I don't like them very much.

Don't assume every foreigner is as ignorant about languages as you.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Lots of misconceptions of the word "farang" in this thread. Exemplified by MartinL's post.

Sorry Danny but I thought my post was quite clear. While I didn't specifically state it, I don't give a monkey's about the general use of 'farang', it's the use of it in preference to my name or status, by people who are aware of both, that gets up my nose. 

I saw that video quite a while ago and, while I find it interesting and easy to accept, it STILL doesn't excuse not using a person's name. I've not watched it again now but doesn't it say something like 'farang is a group title, like teacher, doctor etc. so you should be proud of the title'? I'd much prefer to be called 'engineer' in that case, which is equivalent to 'teacher', 'doctor' etc. which 'farang' isn't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MartinL said:

Sorry Danny but I thought my post was quite clear. While I didn't specifically state it, I don't give a monkey's about the general use of 'farang', it's the use of it in preference to my name or status, by people who are aware of both, that gets up my nose. 

I saw that video quite a while ago and, while I find it interesting and easy to accept, it STILL doesn't excuse not using a person's name. I've not watched it again now but doesn't it say something like 'farang is a group title, like teacher, doctor etc. so you should be proud of the title'? I'd much prefer to be called 'engineer' in that case, which is equivalent to 'teacher', 'doctor' etc. which 'farang' isn't.

It might be your preference but not a Thai's, as the video explains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Without culture, some of us would be violent and murderous.

I disagree, most sentient beings have a natural empathy, it is culture which causes 'them and us'. Archeological evidence has shown that even sabre tooth tigers must have looked after injured members of their pride, dogs have been filmed rescuing their canine friends from danger as do cats, tests done on rats have shown that they will refuse rewards if taking it causes physical pain to one of their group. The egoic 'I' is fearful of its survival and will seek nurture in a group by being helpful to the group, when the group gets too large (nations) this becomes unnecessary and the egoic 'I' is no longer fearful except when confronted by members outside its group (my opinion only).

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I probably understand (Lanna/Central/Issan) Thai a lot better than you (I can also read and write central Thai), and am far better educated than him. If you actually spoke Thai, you would understand the insult.

Because I understand Thai, is one of the reasons I don't like them very much.

Don't assume every foreigner is as ignorant about languages as you.

I too speak Thai and Lao Issan. I also understand the cultural differences between Thais and farangs, which you clearly don't.

• Sad 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Off topic,

Unlikely as Tigers are solitary hunters that only meet for breeding purposes.

that goes against archeological evidence, Smilodons aren't really tigers. Not off topic, I was attempting to show that without the culture of them and us a natural empathy takes control.

hahaha, OP has done a lot of cut and pasting.

Ok, so here's the deal. People are the same EVERYWHERE. Even in Thailand. Thai people are nothing special. 

Some people will tell you only good things that they think you want to hear to make you happy (like those tourists that say everything is wonderfull in thailand)

Some people will tell you whatever it is on their mind at any particular point in time - usually based upon their emotions/feelings at that point.

Some people will tell you just negative stuff for whatever reason - maybe they had bad experience, not having a good day, or they just want to make you upset or for your sympathy and so on. 

The fact is, there's these 3 types of people like this. The truth is somewhere in between. 

Also understand that some foreigners come from completely different cultures where life is cut throat super competitive. So for those people trash talk is normal and living in that culture you'll get a high tolerance to stuff like that, so you think when they talk like that it's insulting to you personally. In reality it's not personal. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Do you also complain when Thai pronounce English derived words in Thai? After all they are speaking Thai not English so can pronounce thing accordingly. If you could read Thai you see that the pronunciation is correct. 

Get a life American English is much more prevalent than "the king's English". We communicate because we have something to say, not because we want to impress others.

Thai is a language of vowels and tones. English is a language of combined consonants, so Thais do frequently struggle with pronunciation. I make allowance for that. Try asking a neophyte Thai to pronounce the word "refrigerator".

There are 1.1 billion English speakers in the world. America has a population of 330 million, including about half that voted for your current president. You are not a majority.

I have a life, thank you. It includes people with grating accents that are spoken through the nose, unfortunately.

21 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

that goes against archeological evidence, Smilodons aren't really tigers. Not off topic, I was attempting to show that without the culture of them and us a natural empathy takes control.

Hmmmmm. Animals don't have culture- they have genetic programming. 

Humans have both culture and genetic programming. Humans are the worst animals to inhabit the planet as they kill and are cruel by choice. We are also parasites as we are destroying the environment that allows us to survive.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are 1.1 billion English speakers in the world. America has a population of 330 million, including about half that voted for your current president. You are not a majority.

I have a life, thank you. It includes people with grating accents that are spoken through the nose, unfortunately.

Well then if you rely solely on numbers, we should all be sing songing like an IT help desk dude in Bangalore "I am so Pleaesed to be able to help you sor, please to be providing me with yoor address?"

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not me, I avoid everyone with funny English accents.

Can't be bothered making the extra effort to listen to them.

In the US I have Amazon prime. They seem to make a lot of their original programing in the UK. I wish they used subtitles, can't understand a word they say. 

Oh wait... but I like Thai people!!

Edited by sirineou