Need Retirement place for 70

28 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You do know you will need to tie up 800,000 baht that you can't touch for the first 5 or 6 months,  plus your 'living money' so you'll need at least 1,000.000 + to start with.

Just askin?

10,000 baht a week will easily cover the 200(2nd)-400(1st)  baht visa agent charge to cover the 800k. and 100,000-150k should easily cover your initial set up costs if not living the high life. Just answering 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

At 70 you need to be in a place that has access to reasonably priced western medical services for day to day issues... The most reasonably priced area would be Chiang Mai - but the months of Mar & Apr area very polluted... Second area might be the hinterlands outside a Pattaya... The “dark side” or Rayong coastline area... 

I personally live in Chiang Mai but spend Mar & Apr in Hua Hin or Koh Samui... You as a single person could rent a small condo in either of those seaside areas for 5k a month...

Chiang Mai is polluted year round—in March/April it is ridiculously polluted. AQI today in Phuket-0, Chiang Mai 92. 

Absolutely loved living there for years, met my wife there. However, glad we moved away from that year round lung BBQ.

Don’t choose CM unless you mean you have 500,000 to spend on medical bills locally. At 70 that year round pollution doesn’t bode well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Don't get what you mean when you say "The income option and contamination of the two is still available."?

By "contamination" you mean going to an "agent"?

Spell check error that I have corrected. It is now combination option.

6 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Yes, but certain lifestyles require stamina and or support from love ones. At 70, being a newbie, single and on a budget, in Thailand is more than adventurous.

He may of visited here before.

You are basing your post on unknown info.

• Like 2

op a little more information would be good, have you visited Thailand in the past, do you have friends here, single?, financials other than the 1/2 million per year, ie would you have 800,00 baht to park in a Thai bank account, heath requirements,   etc.etc.

There are other options than putting 800k baht in the. The income option and combination of the two is still available.
I think a person can live here on 500k baht a year. It just depends upon what type of lifestyle they want.
The combination method is quite an onerous thing for Americans and other nationals that can't get embassy income letters.

Also not even accepted in all offices.

But you're right there are some other options. The lock up for the bank method can be 400k rather than 800k if you spend down and top up annually.

I'm looking to the future. He may be able to make it work for awhile but the clear trend is to shake out lower wealth / lower income retired expats.

I think it's deeply unethical to encourage such people to move here now.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

I don't feel the same way. Plus the OP has been a member since 2011 and has done a couple of posts indicating he has visited here before or is her now. Certainly not a newbie.

No problem. I am clearly voicing my opinion based on observation of changes in immigration policies over many years. I sincerely do not think retirement in Thailand is recommendable to lower wealth level individuals. I think they are settling themselves up for a likely future disaster here and the older you are the harder it is to recover from that. Also considering the rapidly increasing cost of health care here.

People already long settled here also in lower wealth levels have a different kind of decision to make though than someone considering coming in initially.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

To live on 500,000 baht per year, the OP could try Chiang Mai, Buriram etc. Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket would be too expensive.

He would also need to have good health, or health insurance.

He would need to navigate sensibly with respect to Thai women and alcohol. Both can punch holes in a budget in no time.

Transport options are tuk-tuks, songthaews or learn to drive a scooter. On his budget, a car is a stretch.

Plenty of furnished accommodation available in Chiang Mai in the 5000 - 10,000 baht/month range. I assume Buriram, Chiang Rai and Udon Thani would be similar.

He also would need a Plan B to fall back on.