Why so much negativity?

Iren1cuss

I suspect that most of the negativity recently has been due to the extreme changes in immigration policy and exchange rates in the last 5 years, which have combined to produce the perfect storm which has left many ex-pats high and dry when, despite their careful planning many years ago, they could not have seen this coming.

Factor in the perceived increase in xenophobia and prices which only go up despite massive appreciation of the baht, it's no wonder so many people have had enough.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

ne of the fact no one will deny here is that by coming here you lose most of your fundamental rights as a human being

Surely you must have known that before breeding? its called due diligence and a few hours on google would have given you all the facts. 

13 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Don't believe all that has been said here. I could easily finance a dozen of retirement visas, but without my lovely wife and daughters I doubt I would have lasted much more than a year here. One of the fact no one will deny here is that by coming here you lose most of your fundamental rights as a human being, the awareness of that develops only as you stay longer.

So by all means, come here if you really thinks that is a good idea but don't burn your bridges, make it your first extended holiday after retirement. Stay if the xenophobic bureaucracy, inquisition and the mindless everyday morons don't get you.

What rights are we missing / do you think we should have here? (genuinely interested, because I'm not sure what rights I have lost, I have full healthcare here, don't want to vote, still can in my home country, I don't pay tax here, I would have to in my home country etc).

Regarding the xenophobic bureaucracy, inquisition etc...  TM30 is a hassle for those who need to do it. The Visa's are a doddle here - some complain because they don't meet the requirements, I find it extremely easy (Elite Visa - easiest option for me when I got it 13 or so years ago). 

Other dealings with 'institution' can be surprisingly easy, i.e. getting a driving license, I just had an incredibly easy dealing with the Land Department.

The roads and moronic mindlessness is an issue here - but that moronic mindless may also be called carefree attitude - it just depends on your frame of mind at the time.

• Like 2

Most of the negs seems to originate from people who can no longer afford to live in Thailand. Good heavens maybe they might have to buy insurance, the minimum monthly to retire here is beyond them, they can't afford a ticket home, tired of visa runs who knows.... the rest of us are happy with our cuties in front of the pool.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What rights are we missing / do you think we should have here? (genuinely interested, because I'm not sure what rights I have lost, I have full healthcare here, don't want to vote, still can in my home country, I don't pay tax here, I would have to in my home country etc).

Regarding the xenophobic bureaucracy, inquisition etc...  TM30 is a hassle for those who need to do it. The Visa's are a doddle here - some complain because they don't meet the requirements, I find it extremely easy (Elite Visa - easiest option for me when I got it 13 or so years ago). 

Other dealings with 'institution' can be surprisingly easy, i.e. getting a driving license, I just had an incredibly easy dealing with the Land Department.

The roads and moronic mindlessness is an issue here - but that moronic mindless may also be called carefree attitude - it just depends on your frame of mind at the time.

He probably meant Thai citizenship and be able to buy land without a dodgy company and Having to pay a fortune in medical insurance and never being allowed into the low cost Thai system eg once citizenship is granted in most countries you have all the rights the locals do

4 hours ago, SteveK said:

The once carefree, friendly and cheap tropical paradise has thus become an expensive, xenophobic headache - if you came here and built a house, got married and had kids, immigration will still want to boot you out if you haven't got 400k in the bank.

Getting married and having kids would change your "carefree" "cheap"  lifestyle anywhere. 

400K requirement has not changed for over 30 years AFAIK. 

Xenophobic attitudes happen to a degree in all countries.     

Good Post though, always appreciate your well thought out comprehensive responses

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I don’t think you will have any issues arriving as a tourist and spending three months here, but you might get stopped by immigration if you try to extend that to half of the year. It’s just not as easy to do that anymore. So for 3 months you are fine.

Even if you would only stay 3 months a year, you need not necessarily come on a Tourist Visa.

If you are over 50 and meet the other requirements (which I think you will when reading your post), a Non Imm OA Visa is the ideal start to living in Thailand as it will give you almost 2 years of staying over here with a minimum of admin IO hassle.  And obviously, since you would be returning regularly to your home-country, you can simply re-new the Visa when over there.

Not staying full-time will probably also allow you to find non-exorbitantly priced travel-insurance that would cover the periods that you are over here (mine covers stays up to 6 months).

Enjoy your stay in Amazing Thailand - there is a reason that so many foreigners did opt for Thailand.

Ignore the negativity, for some people the grass is everywhere brown...

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, geronimo said:

There are two types that use this forum, those who love to moan and complain and those who see life as a great adventure ......

There is also a 3rd type: the Forum members that genuinely try to help those seeking information by sharing their knowledge/experience.  If you have been roaming this Forum in search of answers for specific questions you will get to know them soon...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Retirement visa you need 800K baht for 5 month and 400K minimum for the rest of the year.

I don't want to change the topic of the post - which is about the negativity on TVF - but like to add a note.

Having to park 800/400K THB on a thai bank-account, is only required when you go for an extension of stay of your retirement Visa.

However, if you get a Non Imm OA Visa in your home-country, that requirement would only kick-in at the end of the 2nd year.  And of course, if you visit your home country occasionally you can simply renew the procedure.

• Thanks 1

Was thinking about settling in Chili or Peru before meeting my Thai wife. Chili has got it all: great wines; amazing barbecues; high altitude for those like me who get high on thin air; amazing scenery, and for P4P adepts I can't remember any starfish experience, which are the norm in Nana or Soi Cowboy.

8 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Man, obviously your are not a wine drinker. A modest Chilean "Casillero del Diablo" Cabernet Sauvignon sets you back 700 Bahts here.

And I miss San Pedro de Atacama.

Well, to be honest, I'm not a big drinker(I'm kind of a fitness nerd so I avoid it). But to be fair Chile does have some of the best wines, the Pisco is awesome too and would not change it for another type of liquor. I disagree with the barbecues though, as the meat, in general, is pretty bad here(if you want some real good barbecue you should go to Argentina, Chile is all about the seafood).  In terms of the scenery I wouldn't know, I lived my whole life in Santiago and only know a couple of places in Chile, I usually travel outside of the country in my spare time. I guess like everything in life it's a matter of taste, I prefer the tropical/beaches/jungle scenery.

Regarding the retirement Visa, I still have a long way to go, as I'm in my early 30's. If I really want to stay in Thailand long term I'll look into the elite Visa option, meanwhile, I'll just use the 90 days I get with no visa every 6 months. 

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. This thread changed some of my perception of this forum, as there were some really helpful and genuine responses. The feedback was mostly positive and insightful.

21 hours ago, madmen said:

The negativity is coming from mostly the same 20 posters , I could name them all but I have no desire in getting (snip)

Sadly those who can suddenly no longer meet visa requirements due to having no money even after a lifetime of work are making the most noise but that's bitterness for you

I could post the same about people complaining every thing is bad in

their home country and i don't want to name them get my drift

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Or get involved  in a legal dispute with a well connected Thai

Grow up. the chances you will end up in a dispute with a hi so "well connected Thai" are less than zero. the bashers are coming across as desperate these days

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, madmen said:

Grow up. the chances you will end up in a dispute with a hi so "well connected Thai" are less than zero. the bashers are coming across as desperate these days

The chance that one of us comes in contact with a Thai hiso are indeed zero.

The chance that one of us comes in contact with a local entitled Thai (village head, policeman,...) are however not to be neglected.

And maybe read this thread:

14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

The chance that one of us comes in contact with a Thai hiso are indeed zero.

The chance that one of us comes in contact with a local entitled Thai (village head, policeman,...) are however not to be neglected.

And maybe read this thread:

14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

huh? that makes no sense. What thread and how is a truck accident relevant? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

huh? that makes no sense. What thread and how is a truck accident relevant? 

The death toll stands at 17 now.

Don't you read TVforum?

The crazy driving here could possible lead to some negativity, don't you think?

Thailand, the perfect home to bashers and apologists.

Sad!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1