Why so much negativity?

Iren1cuss

54 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I can fully understand why some people have become bitter about Thailand. When they first visited many years ago, it was welcoming, friendly and easy going, so much so that they decided to up sticks and move here and basically invested a huge amount of their life and finances into the country.

Slowly but surely, things have gradually shifted, so that any foreign income they once had has been massively eroded to the point where they can no longer qualify for a long term visa and are effectively being forced out by increasingly heavy handed and callous immigration policies, with constant, upsetting grillings from IOs, plus outrageous and draconian hoops to jump through for anyone who insists on staying.

The once carefree, friendly and cheap tropical paradise has thus become an expensive, xenophobic headache - if you came here and built a house, got married and had kids, immigration will still want to boot you out if you haven't got 400k in the bank. I can't imagine being separated from my wife and kids and being forced to go back to a country which is no longer your home because of Thai immigration policies, and can fully understand how awful that must be, and don't blame anyone for being bitter about the current state of things here.

For me, Thailand is still a paradise compared to my home country and being forced to go back would be devastating. Like you, I was lucky enough to have a little bit of money to start a new life and now live here with my Thai wife and her family, sure I don't like having to keep going to immigration all the time as it's a 200km round trip for me, but it's still worth it on the whole. I would say go for it, if you find no joy in your home country (sounds exactly like me), don't stay there, life is short, grinding away in a place you hate for years on end is not what I would call living. You get one chance at life, don't forget that.

One word of advice - make sure you read as much as you can about Thai immigration & visa policies and why people are being rejected. Also be cautious of the threads on here about people being refused entry, sometimes it seems like there are other factors which influenced the IO's decision which were not mentioned in the post, but obviously it's impossible to be sure. If you are from Chile/Argentina/Uruguay, they aren't going to be the most well-known places to Thai IOs so make sure you get yourself the correct visas and do everything you can to make sure you don't get refused entry - for you it's a long way home. For long-term stay your best options are Elite visa or to get married to a Thai lady. Good luck!

it's a long read but thumbs up mr steve. nice reply. positively positive. can't fault it. op read, take note

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

. For long-term stay your best options are Elite visa or to get married to a Thai lady. Good luck!

Excellent post. 

Interested to know why you marriage is a better option than money in the bank retirement (extension of Stay) visa?

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

Just now, Tayaout said:

Some of us are less than 50 years old.

Retirement visa you need 800K baht for 5 month and 400K minimum for the rest of the year. 

Marriage you need 400K for 3 month but it can be spent after that period. The paperwork is more time consuming than retirement but some use non-o multi entry instead. With 1 year non-o multi entry you get 90 days on each border crossing which can be extended to 60 days. Some consulate don't ask financial proof to deliver 1 year non-o multi entry. 

Fair play. Apologies, I was overlooking the age restrictions. 

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

The posters who dismiss those of us with negative views on Thailand and categorize us all as people without money are often limited in their exposure to the different types of expats in Thailand.

There are many types of Western Expats in Thailand:

• Retirees of limited means, usually blue collar, and often of limited education
  • Retirees of substantial means, usually white collar, better educated
  • Mid-term, periodic tourists, like oil and gas workers, for example who spend their off time here
  • English teachers, limited means, usually of limited education, usually younger
  • Digital Nomads, moderate to substantial means, more educated, usually younger
  • Expat'ed Professionals, substantial means, highly educated, usually older

Thailand has alot more of the types who are of modest means and modest education and that is just fine. Each group has its own common views about Thailand.

A retiree of minimal education -- who can't distinguish between "your" and "you're" and who marries a bar hooker and who proceeds to dump all of his monies into her dastardly schemes -- will often have a dramatically different view of Thailand when compared with a professional expat with a PhD who earns 500,000 Baht a month.

For example, I have no money problems. I have no woman problems. I do not spend time in seedy bars and interacting with poor Thais. I have worked with and employed Thai elites. I routinely interact with Thais who are magnificently wealthy.

And, I have a extremely negative view on Thailand which I have slowly developed over decades visiting, working and living here -- as well as visiting, working and living in many other countries.

You have to make your own decisions of course, but it is smart to think about it as holistically as you can, taking in opinions from both the Positive guys and the Negative ones.

Be interested to know the reasons in more detail behind your negative views as I admit, I personally put a lot of them I see on here down their financial situation. 

• Thanks 1