Prince Harry demands end to 'greed and selfishness', for nature's sake

webfact

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

Prince Harry ' demands ' in the headline.

But in reality he only ' appeals '

I wish newspapers could refrain from exaggeration but then I guess that's asking a lot.

no  good  unless its "ordered" just  ask any Thai

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

One of the biggest problems (especially Africa ) is the huge increase in population. Population in Malawi where he was speaking, has almost doubled in the last 20 years.

The merit in criticizing Prince Harry is the clear fact he’s a high carbon foot print individual pointing a finger at others.

And here we have the finger being pointed at Africans, evidence if it were ever needed, that the Malthusians are only ever pointing the finger at others.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

4 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

The message is sound. He's a decent chap. If he jets around the world with this message, that's not frivolous, that's fine.

Whether the royals should enjoy the level of privilege they do is a completely different question. Personally I don't subscribe to the politics of envy. They are figureheads and we put them in that position because we want our figureheads to be privileged, but make no mistake, the royals are tools of the people. It's a good system, leave it be.

The Queen is a figurehead and her heir is a figurehead. What shouldn't be figureheads are the extra royals out there living a privileged lifestyle and telling everyone else what to do.

This is not an attack on the establishment. I'm the last person that wants the crown replaced by yet another tax sucking politician.

7 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I will ignore your personal attack. Not the first one you have made btw.

Let me clarify why I say Harry and Meg have "quite possibly the highest carbon footprint of any couple on this planet".

Frequent flying on private jets is just about the worst thing an eco-conscious couple can do. It is hugely wasteful. They live in mansions requiring large amounts of energy to heat and maintain. They have untold numbers of servants catering for their every whim. In the UK they travel by helicopter, or by convoy of large engined gas guzzling vehicles. These activities all cause the release of CO2, which is what the liberals allege is causing global warming or climate change. I think you will be getting the point I am trying to make here....

Now what I would say, is it is very possible that in the 3rd world somewhere there are people burning vast amounts of trash on a daily basis. Doubtful but possible. This person might cause the release of more carbon dioxide from their activities than Harry, but then this person is not jetting around the world ordering others how to live their lives. I have no problem with anybody jetting around or driving Hummers, yet if they tell normal people that cause one thousandth of their harmful emissions release how to behave, well then yes I do have a problem with their hypocrisy. 

The problem with these arguments against people with influence using their influence to alter the behavior of others is failure to take into account the multiplier effect.

By example, the ‘sea change’ (pun intended) in attitudes towards plastics and their impact on the environment.

A small number of people and organizations have brought about a massive change in public attitudes and behavior towards plastics. Posting a picture of Richard Attenborough drinking from a plastic straw does not detract from the huge positive influence he has had in the battle against plastic pollution.

I might however give you a brief and hollow moment of  feeling smart.

The old adage ‘if you don’t want to help do us all a favor and get out of the way’ comes to mind.

...what do they want the 'average man'...a slave to a mortgage or income tax to do.....???

...talk about 'lip service' to a cause....

...he can start with his family's extensive land holdings....

...and get all the upper echelon around the world......to do likewise.....

...blah...blah...blah...???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Another know nothing rich person telling other people what to do. 

Perhaps he could lead by example.

Harry is one royal (but not the only one) who really does lead by example.

Why don't you list the many things that YOU have done in service of others.

We can all then make a considered judgement?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Queen is a figurehead and her heir is a figurehead. What shouldn't be figureheads are the extra royals out there living a privileged lifestyle and telling everyone else what to do.

This is not an attack on the establishment. I'm the last person that wants the crown replaced by yet another tax sucking politician.

I might agree if they were all <deleted> and wastrels and sat around doing nothing but sip champagne out of top hats - but they work, providing important diplomatic, ceremonial, and charitable functions. 

edit: can't even say "*rses" now? How sensitive the world is getting.

Edited by JamesBlond
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I might agree if they were all <deleted> and wastrels and sat around doing nothing but sip champagne out of top hats - but they work, providing important diplomatic, ceremonial, and charitable functions. 

Agree, and if a finger points at the moon, it's not wise to get mad about whose finger it is.

That said, i'd guess the prince was conscious of a possible backlash.

"practice what you preach" is quite a realistic expectation too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Be nice if he used his influence and wealth to assist those who live in poverty in his own country, lived a little less extravagantly, and encouraged members of his family to do the same.

But ironically whenever he does do that there is never a camera around to capture it ????

• Like 1