Last month's rent - take it from rental deposit?

Is it common here in Thailand for the tenant not to pay the last month's rent and just request the owner/agent to deduct the last month's rent from the 2 month's security deposit? Especially when it seems common for a lot of owners to apparently cheat the tenant and not refund the deposit (based on what I've read before).

Also, is it normal for a furnished room in a condo to be charged a cleaning fee (eg. 500 baht) and a laundry fee when a one year contract is up and the tenant moves out? I would think that's not common.

N

15 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Yes....there is always a cleaning fee.  And because you read on TV that some people don’t get a deposit back you want to try to circumvent that by ****ing your landlord?  Enjoy your karma.

Cleaning fees not common everywhere . My experience is that places  are left uncleaned , usually with some unwanted junk also . Tenants reciprocate by leaving the place equally uncleaned when they leave .

29 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Yes....there is always a cleaning fee.  And because you read on TV that some people don’t get a deposit back you want to try to circumvent that by ****ing your landlord?  Enjoy your karma.

No and if  you do it with me youll be kicked out the same day, this is usually  promoted by Mericans

12 minutes ago, gimo said:

N

Cleaning fees not common everywhere . My experience is that places  are left uncleaned , usually with some unwanted junk also . Tenants reciprocate by leaving the place equally uncleaned when they leave .

you must rent some real <deleted>holes, our rooms are cleaned with a  frikking  toothbrush literally, it  will take 2    full days to get a room straight, 1  bed, If the room  isnt as clean as when you had it off me youll pay a  cleaning charge to me.

The maid  cleaning it for 500 baht  will cut  no ice here

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Especially when it seems common for a lot of owners to apparently cheat the tenant and not refund the deposit (based on what I've read before).

Wife  deals with literally hundreds of rooms a  year id  say 85% get the deposits  back, the other 15% is either damaged badly or  left disgusting requiring  a LOT  more cleaning, so dirty you  will stick to the floor  with cooking  fat.

1 hour ago, gimo said:

N

Well...if you rent in the ghetto...

Every condo I have moved out of myself has been returned in better condition than I found it (and they weren’t “dirty” to start).  I have also always received my whole deposit back.

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

No and if  you do it with me youll be kicked out the same day, this is usually  promoted by Mericans

I stated that I do not approve of someone playing that game with the landlord.  It’s a ****** up way of doing business.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:56 PM, Airalee said:

We dont make any charge when people move out. BUT if you not pay last months rent then on day 5 you go by hook or crook. 

Just have a look at the Guys walking around, Halleluja for some Landlords and Condo Staff. Terrible what I saw in the past, US or English Alcoholics whitout a Feeling for Respect and care.

Wife  deals with literally hundreds of rooms a  year id  say 85% get the deposits  back, the other 15% is either damaged badly or  left disgusting requiring  a LOT  more cleaning, so dirty you  will stick to the floor  with cooking  fat.

There's also the possibility that if you try to play games with the rent payment (any payment the landlord will quickly change the lock on the door and therefore lock you out (no access to your clothes, your belongings, your documents) until you get back in line with payments. 

Is that illegal? Who knows but I've heard of it happening and it would be very doubtful that the police would be interested. 

4 rentals ...and 4 times received back deposit in full …, I also left the places in a clean undamaged state , and I find even then a 500 cleaning fee not a sum to break my head for !

4 rentals ...and 4 times received back deposit in full …, I also left the places in a clean undamaged state , and I find even then a 500 cleaning fee not a sum to break my head for !

I have rented 6 places since I have been in Thailand. I have always received my full deposit back. If the place I plan on moving into, is dirty, I ask them that they need to have it cleaned before I accept the place. Which in turn they would have it cleaned. When it is time for me to move out, I have always paid to have the place cleaned myself. This way I don't get over charged having the landlord handle it. I move into a clean place and I move out of a clean place. I have heard of people having some major issues with their landlord, but so far I have not. I am also picky on who I rent from too. Sometimes, if I don't see something in the lease that protects me from the landlord, I make sure they add it, or I don't sign. For example, if I want them to use my security deposit for my last months rent, then it has to be in the lease. Also I always make sure the lease is in Thai & English and my son reads the Thai part to make sure it is the same as the english part. Bottom line is, I have everything I want in the lease or it needs to be added then I sign and move in. This way you & the landlord is on the same page. 

20 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I read on here some time ago that a one month deposit is all that is legally required for a long term rental?

Fundamentally yes, 

"Rent property law of 1 May 2018 (Government Gazette 16th February 2018)." 

However some ask 1 month deposit for room, and 1 month deposit for furniture. 

A way to get around the law. 

First  of all, many ask for two month deposite, but the law say they only could take one. Secondly, about the rest, I rented a studio for six month and told the owner to take the deposit for the last month rent. It did not seem to be common to do it that way, but it was accepted. The 500 baht for cleaning I had to pay, no matter what condition the studio was in when I leave. So I guess it is much up to the owner what will be accepted. 

4 minutes ago, Parsve said:

First  of all, many ask for two month deposite, but the law say they only could take one. Secondly, about the rest, I rented a studio for six month and told the owner to take the deposit for the last month rent. It did not seem to be common to do it that way, but it was accepted. The 500 baht for cleaning I had to pay, no matter what condition the studio was in when I leave. So I guess it is much up to the owner what will be accepted. 

IF the Owner has 5 units or more in the same block (i.e. if its an Apartment) the Law states that they can only demand 1 months Deposit and they have to charge you the Government Rate for electricity and water.

Of course, I'm not sure there are any Apartments out there who follow this regulation / law. 

I pointed this out when shown around a nice apartment we were thinking of moving into who wanted to charge 8 baht per unit for Electricity [Law is charge 1 month deposit and charge Government rates for Electricity]; I asked them if they knew they were breaking the law in charging nearly double to Government rate for Electricity, their response was "This is what we charge"...  (needless to say, we went elsewhere).

Deposits: 20 years here, always had my deposit returned. 

A place we owned was rented out to a Korean Student. The new owner just contacted us to say the Student has moved out without paying the last months rent (but new owner, landlady is holding the 60,000 baht deposit for 2 months rent) - the issue is that she believes there to be more than 60,000 baht damage to the apartment. 

Some landlords are dishonest in returning rent, some renters are animals. 

Personally, I believe there should be some sort of 'deposit escrow' where deposits are held by a 3rd Party to prevent a cheating landlord from keeping all the deposit. Any repairs etc have to come from the deposit. It becomes tricky when there is more than 2 months of rents worth of damage. 

23 minutes ago, Parsve said:

The new law says:

"The new regulations will only be enforced for landlords who oversee five or more properties. Those who manage less than this are not obligated to this new policy."

Every cost/fee should be in the rental contract. It's not up to the owner. If a cost for cleaning when moving is mentioned in the contract, then you have to pay, otherwise,no,because you have to clean it yourself or hire someone. 

Normally,someone will inspect the condo before returning the deposit. If renting through a well-known real estate agent,there won't be any problem what so ever. 

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF the Owner has 5 units or more in the same block (i.e. if its an Apartment) the Law states that they can only demand 1 months Deposit and they have to charge you the Government Rate for electricity and water.

Of course, I'm not sure there are any Apartments out there who follow this regulation / law. 

I pointed this out when shown around a nice apartment we were thinking of moving into who wanted to charge 8 baht per unit for Electricity [Law is charge 1 month deposit and charge Government rates for Electricity]; I asked them if they knew they were breaking the law in charging nearly double to Government rate for Electricity, their response was "This is what we charge"...  (needless to say, we went elsewhere).

Deposits: 20 years here, always had my deposit returned. 

A place we owned was rented out to a Korean Student. The new owner just contacted us to say the Student has moved out without paying the last months rent (but new owner, landlady is holding the 60,000 baht deposit for 2 months rent) - the issue is that she believes there to be more than 60,000 baht damage to the apartment. 

Some landlords are dishonest in returning rent, some renters are animals. 

Personally, I believe there should be some sort of 'deposit escrow' where deposits are held by a 3rd Party to prevent a cheating landlord from keeping all the deposit. Any repairs etc have to come from the deposit. It becomes tricky when there is more than 2 months of rents worth of damage. 

My contract states that the owner have to pay for repairs and maintenance. I can inform him myself about minor repairs/maintenance up to 2000 baht and pay myself,email him the bills and deduct the cost from next months rent. My 2 months deposit is held by the real estate agent. It works for me.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

There's also the possibility that if you try to play games with the rent payment (any payment the landlord will quickly change the lock on the door and therefore lock you out (no access to your clothes, your belongings, your documents) until you get back in line with payments. 

Is that illegal? Who knows but I've heard of it happening and it would be very doubtful that the police would be interested. 

The police will certainly be interested if---- I think you know what I mean.????

On 10/1/2019 at 4:12 PM, bbi1 said:

Especially when it seems common for a lot of owners to apparently cheat the tenant and not refund the deposit (based on what I've read before).

Must be true if impartial, rational Thaivisa posters claim that they just heard about it happening somewhere, to someone.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:28 PM, Chazar said:

you must rent some real <deleted>holes, our rooms are cleaned with a  frikking  toothbrush literally, it  will take 2    full days to get a room straight, 1  bed, If the room  isnt as clean as when you had it off me youll pay a  cleaning charge to me.

The maid  cleaning it for 500 baht  will cut  no ice here

Being a longtime landlord myself in the USA, i understand your hard attitude. However i rent my home in Thailand. I refuse to pay 2 months deposit. One is enough. I leave my rental houses perfect as well. But the landlord of my last rental

Refused to return my deposit because he said he had no money! 2 years later still no return!

Assume you wont get a refund here and dont pay over 1 month deposit. 

On 10/1/2019 at 5:28 PM, Chazar said:

rented the same place for 14 years, kept the place reasonably tidy and cleaned it thoroughly before leaving.

Full deposit back, no questions asked. The owner use to give a small gift to long term tenants every xmas.

Respect for other people's property is what counts.  

Archived