Final proposal - PM Johnson to unveil Brexit offer to EU

webfact

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

More properly: "“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
                          By any other name would smell as sweet.”

I confess that I cannot see even the most tenuous connection between Juliet's soliloquy lamenting that Romeo belongs to the rival Montague clan, and the argument we are having, but never mind.

yes never mind ….turning it away 

1 hour ago, JAG said:

At the risk of being accused of being a spelling NAZI (well I am an English Teacher) perhaps if you are going to accuse others of being "illitirate" (sic), you should really spell it correctly?

The third vowel is an "e". Illiterate.

And in which other languages can you express yourself mister English teacher sir?

32 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

And in which other languages can you express yourself mister English teacher sir?

French, German and Thai (limited). I can also read and understand Latin - sorry, just the result of a Catholic grammar school education. But enough of the willy waving, I just think that if one is going to be rude about someone, one should make the effort to be linguistically accurate!

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

Jamie Doward

Sun 6 Oct 2019 08.13 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/06/boris-johnson-jennifer-arcuri-london-assembly-summons

Boris Johnson faces ultimatum over Jennifer Arcuri messages

London assembly committee may also compel PM to appear before it to answer questions about relationship with entrepreneur

Boris Johnson could be forced to hand over any private text messages and emails he sent to the US technology entrepreneur with whom he has denied an improper relationship – or face prison.

The prime minister has until Tuesday to respond to a summons from the London assembly to provide details of his relationship with Jennifer Arcuri, an entrepreneur whose relationship with Johnson is the subject of several inquiries.

more...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

51 minutes ago, JAG said:

French, German and Thai (limited). I can also read and understand Latin - sorry, just the result of a Catholic grammar school education. But enough of the willy waving, I just think that if one is going to be rude about someone, one should make the effort to be linguistically accurate!

QUOTE: I just think that if one is going to be rude about someone, one should make the effort to be linguistically accurate!

Reading posts from Brexiteers must be a total nightmare for you!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: I just think that if one is going to be rude about someone, one should make the effort to be linguistically accurate!

Reading posts from Brexiteers must be a total nightmare for you!

Why do you think that...?

7 minutes ago, JAG said:

Not really - I completely understand that not everyone is as fortunate as I was to receive an education which allows them the luxury to be as pedantic or obsessive about such matters. I will admit that I enjoy crafting my answers, and I try to write as elegantly and precisely as possible, using as wide a vocabulary and as full a range of (often obsolescent) punctuation as I can. It may well annoy some - I'm sorry if it does, but I do enjoy using long words like marmalade and wheelbarrow, and deploying colons, semicolons and ellipses...

Returning to the original quote, I think you miss the point, the irony perhaps, that if one makes a post which is predicated on your view of someone's literacy skills, then one should in fairness make the effort to be linguistically accurate oneself. Otherwise I generally take posts as I find them. As long as I understand the thrust of the argument, whether I agree with the argument or not.

I will admit to having become bored with posts (from both sides of the divide actually) which are based on repeatedly and obvious false assertions, for example that the British vote in our referendum is somehow due to our now gone Empire, or that all European nations are united in an implacable desire to destroy the United Kingdom as some sort of revenge or means of alleviating their shame for the events of 1939 - 1945. There you are, in an attempt to show a balanced view I have included genres from both sides of the divide.

QUOTE: ....that if one makes a post which is predicated on your view of someone's literacy skills, then one should in fairness make the effort to be linguistically accurate oneself.

You are mistaken:

I was not commenting on linguistical accuracy.

I was commenting on lack of understanding basic economics.

22 minutes ago, JAG said:

No, you weren't commenting on his linguistic accuracy.

You claimed that he was economically illiterate. You misspelt illiterate. That is where the linguistic inaccuracy enters into the matter. My point is that if you are going to accuse someone of illiteracy, economic or otherwise, it ill behoves you if you cannot spell the word "illiterate".

Couldn't agree maw. ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yet you seem sufficiently bothered by it to post, repeatedly, on many aspects of it.

I suppose that you may not be bothered by the eventual outcome, but you do seem to take a vicarious pleasure, (and seem to need to express that pleasure), at many if not all of the vicissitudes the UK is going through in the process. Maybe that is where your interest lies, and pleasure is derived?

Am I the only one who post ? Or another attempt to silence me ?  by now you should now better that does not work on me ….

BTW your post could anyway also be feasible for a lot of brexiteer posters with the E.U. as subject then ????

1 hour ago, englishoak said:

Who keeps texts from years ago pray tell ? last I checked there is no legal requirement for keeping personal texts to anyone and youd be stupid to expect anyone to do so :glare:............I smell media BS, specifically the Guardian quality variety. 

Not just texts from years ago. The Arcuri scandal first came int the focus of the public on the first day that Parliament sat after proroguation when questions were asked regarding a government grant her company recieved and was clearly not entitled to, under a government scheme to encourage information security training. Potentially more serious than the offences committed as Mayor of London and much more current.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/25/hacker_house_boris_johnson_funding_allegations/

1 minute ago, JAG said:

No you are not the only one who posts. I have no interest in silencing you, or anyone else for that matter. I am curious as to what drives your posts - like a couple of others they seem to be driven by a deeply ingrained dislike of the UK. Well, I can live with that - but please don't mind me pointing out when your posts cross the line from being critical to just being silly...

no problem , your line is not my line ,have your total freedom , same as I take mine ….if silly you would even not react ….I am sure 

1 hour ago, JAG said:

No, you weren't commenting on his linguistic accuracy.

You claimed that he was economically illiterate. You misspelt illiterate. That is where the linguistic inaccuracy enters into the matter. My point is that if you are going to accuse someone of illiteracy, economic or otherwise, it ill behoves you if you cannot spell the word "illiterate".

So we see things differently.

But we can at least agree that asking what the Scottish currency could possibly be called, as if that was relevant, shows economic illiteracy?

45 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

But we can at least agree that asking what the Scottish currency could possibly be called, as if that was relevant, shows economic illiteracy?

Again I would disagree, the question was quite relevant, I too would be interested to know, if the Scots were to become independent, what currency they would propose to use. Since one of the principle arguments for independence is that it gives the Scots the freedom to manage their own financial affairs, that by definition means that they will have to either create or adopt a currency. Adopting another currency, Pound Sterling, Euro or US Dollar for example, will by definition compromise that financial independence, no?

I don't lay claim to any degree of economic expertise - I have the aristocratic approach to money: when I've got it I spend it and when I haven't I do without! - but I don't think asking this question betrays any lack of "economic literacy". It was a relevant question under the circumstances.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Call it the Crankie.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not just texts from years ago. The Arcuri scandal first came int the focus of the public on the first day that Parliament sat after proroguation when questions were asked regarding a government grant her company recieved and was clearly not entitled to, under a government scheme to encourage information security training. Potentially more serious than the offences committed as Mayor of London and much more current.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/25/hacker_house_boris_johnson_funding_allegations/

Makes me shake my head that there are those out there who only have dirt digging to try to get what they lost, especially when the dirt digging has nothing to do with what they lost....????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, englishoak said:

Oh please,  I dont even like Boris but come on, ... whatever straw you can grasp at right ? you must want it to be true sooo bad it hurts. Amusing to see people bouncing from one obviously politically timed and very likely BS claim to another in the slightest desperate hope it may be true...must be a real roller coaster of emotions. 

We have 25 days left im sure the dramas and claims will be coming in daily pretty soon so keep your hopes up there kiddo. .. whens collusion with some country going to be claimed ? next week or the week after ? Hungary or Russia ? maybe both :cheesy:

Wow! Got the full set there. Attack the poster not the post, deflection, denial, any more? How about commenting on the content of my post rather than spouting more meaningless Brexit rhetoric. You have no game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Wow! Got the full set there. Attack the poster not the post, deflection, denial, any more? How about commenting on the content of my post rather than spouting more meaningless Brexit rhetoric. You have no game.

I thought he did.....????

22 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

You obviously have not been there on a saturday night at throwing out time at the pubs????

In nearly 60 years of frequenting pubs all around the UK, the only person I have ever seen taken to ED with sword wounds was in Stocksbridge.

11 hours ago, JAG said:

Again I would disagree, the question was quite relevant, I too would be interested to know, if the Scots were to become independent, what currency they would propose to use. Since one of the principle arguments for independence is that it gives the Scots the freedom to manage their own financial affairs, that by definition means that they will have to either create or adopt a currency. Adopting another currency, Pound Sterling, Euro or US Dollar for example, will by definition compromise that financial independence, no?

Scotland already has the Pound, and whilst the Bank of Scotland is not a central bank it is authorized to issue Scrottish Pound notes.

Known nationally as ‘beer tokens’.

• Like 1