TM 28 abolished?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

What were you doing the T28 for? 

They only want one for a change of address.

sorry, Joe, I did only do my 90-days run and asked about TM28 procedure, planning a longer trip inland (I have not been out of my province (Bangkok) for six months). Both IOs said "no need" (sic) any more.

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

TM28 has never really been enforced anywhere. To process this is the job of regular police anyway, even though some IOs seem to think it could be their job.

It’s enforced at Jomtien, I was unaware I had too inform Immigration within 24 hours of a change of address. I was detained for over 2 hours threatened with a 3500 baht fine, eventually they let me go, no fine.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What were you doing the T28 for? 

They only want one for a change of address.

The heading on the TM28 states,

FORM FOR ALIENS TO NOTIFY THEIR CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR THEIR STAY IN THE PROVINCE FOR OVER 24 HOURs.

I always do a TM28 at Jomtien after returning from abroad, I was told by them I had too even though I was going back too the same address. The house owner lives abroad, I haven’t seen her for over 2 years so is unaware about the TM30.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

It’s enforced at Jomtien, I was unaware I had too inform Immigration within 24 hours of a change of address. I was detained for over 2 hours threatened with a 3500 baht fine, eventually they let me go, no fine.

The heading on the TM28 states,

FORM FOR ALIENS TO NOTIFY THEIR CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR THEIR STAY IN THE PROVINCE FOR OVER 24 HOURs.

I always do a TM28 at Jomtien after returning from abroad, I was told by them I had too even though I was going back too the same address. The house owner lives abroad, I haven’t seen her for over 2 years so is unaware about the TM30.

The TM28 is not enforced at Jomtien.   Apparently they don't even carry the form.  When I asked for a TM28 form in June, I was given a TM30 form. When I said that I did not want a TM30 but a TM28, I got a blank look from both of the women in reception.   My new landlord had filed a TM30, so I left without ever submitting a TM28.  A few weeks later I returned to Immigration to get a 30-day extension and had no problems.

If you read the link below, an official from Chonburi Immigration (Jomtien/Pattaya) says that a TM30 needs to be completed if you move.  No mention of a TM28. 

Completing the TM30 form once is enough for those on an extension of stay, Khun Pichai told Fabulous 103FM. Because foreigners on an extension of stay submit a 90 day report, they do not need to submit a TM30 form each time they return from a trip outside the province. 

However, you are required to complete a new TM30 if you change address. 

For people staying on tourist visas, their host must inform immigration that the foreigner is staying at that address. For hotels or guesthouses this is done when you hand over your passport at check in.  

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1092651-explainer-here’s-what-is-required-by-chonburi-immigration-for-tm30-and-retirement-extensions/#comments

34 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

The TM28 is not enforced at Jomtien.   Apparently they don't even carry the form.  When I asked for a TM28 form in June, I was given a TM30 form. When I said that I did not want a TM30 but a TM28, I got a blank look from both of the women in reception.   My new landlord had filed a TM30, so I left without ever submitting a TM28.  A few weeks later I returned to Immigration to get a 30-day extension and had no problems.

If you read the link below, an official from Chonburi Immigration (Jomtien/Pattaya) says that a TM30 needs to be completed if you move.  No mention of a TM28. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1092651-explainer-here’s-what-is-required-by-chonburi-immigration-for-tm30-and-retirement-extensions/#comments

They accepted my TM28 in August and confirmed I need too do one  because I have a Non O Visa not a Retirement Visa.

I moved province 2 years ago ( Pathum Thani to Ayutthaya ) permanent address change.

( at the time I was on an OA visa )

I went to immigration with a TM28 and a TM30, the IO pushed the TM28 aside and said “ come back in 2 weeks for that “.

2 weeks later I returned and the same IO said “ we don’t do TM28 here “ !!

Go figure ????

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, moon0205 said:

sorry, Joe, I did only do my 90-days run and asked about TM28 procedure, planning a longer trip inland (I have not been out of my province (Bangkok) for six months). Both IOs said "no need" (sic) any more.

You need to submit the TM30 at CW when coming back after leaving the province. 

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

They accepted my TM28 in August and confirmed I need too do one  because I have a Non O Visa not a Retirement Visa.

I am staying in Jomtien and I have never ever heard about anyone submitting the TM28, only the TM30 when coming back from abroad (but not everytime). The TM28 is officially for Change of Address,not for Notification of Stay. So,if for example an expat moves to Chonburi province, he should submit both the TM28 and the TM30.

4 hours ago, SEtonal said:

Now that seems sensible.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

This is one thing that I don't think will ever change, in Thai immigration offices, far too often the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

You will always find an officer at any immigration office that doesn't have a clue. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SEtonal said:

The officer didn't mention the TM28 because the interview was only about the TM30. TM28 is officially used for Change of Address (for example when moving to another province) but are not really enforced everywhere. Some immigration offices requires it. 

Edited by Max69xl

When I moved back to our house in Sankamphaeng from within the city, I took the TM30 for my wife as the house owner together with the TM28 for me (2 years ago at ChiangMai Promo)  The immigration officer told me to throw the TM 28 away as it was needed anymore.  SInce it was a govt document I asked her to throw it away for me which she did and laughed.  So, I said there will never be a need for a TM28 again.  She said that's right, as long as you/your wife are providing a tm30 for any change of address!.  Along the ines for a tm30 for CM, a friend did his yesterday at CM and was told that since he never left the country, (2 months in Samui), there was no need in CM for a new TM30 if he was just returning home, only if he left the country.

4 minutes ago, Presnock said:

When I moved back to our house in Sankamphaeng from within the city, I took the TM30 for my wife as the house owner together with the TM28 for me (2 years ago at ChiangMai Promo)  The immigration officer told me to throw the TM 28 away as it was needed anymore.  SInce it was a govt document I asked her to throw it away for me which she did and laughed.  So, I said there will never be a need for a TM28 again.  She said that's right, as long as you/your wife are providing a tm30 for any change of address!.  Along the ines for a tm30 for CM, a friend did his yesterday at CM and was told that since he never left the country, (2 months in Samui), there was no need in CM for a new TM30 if he was just returning home, only if he left the country.

The Department of Immigration has never officially said that the TM28 are out of business. Several immigration offices still requires both the TM28 and TM30 when moving to another province,and the reason is that you change immigration office. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

This is the 90 days report app. It works. 

Correct.....it is the 90 days report app. Glad it works for you.

Had 90 day report due on 1 October. Had app installed, registered, showing status ready to go......get error msg:- "TM 6 issue, please report to immigration office."

Not to be put off, went online and reported for fifth time, got approved in four hours, printed out and it's safely in my passport. So from my experience, I'd say the app is still in beta mode.

Edited by UncleMhee

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I am staying in Jomtien and I have never ever heard about anyone submitting the TM28, only the TM30 when coming back from abroad (but not everytime). The TM28 is officially for Change of Address,not for Notification of Stay. So,if for example an expat moves to Chonburi province, he should submit both the TM28 and the TM30.

I wish people would read my previous posts before replying and read the TM28 application form. The forms heading is follows,

FORM FOR ALIENS TO NOTIFY THEIR CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR THEIR STAY IN THE PROVINCE FOR OVER 24 HOURs.

Yes notify change of address OR their stay in the province for over 24 hours, after I return too Thailand I do a TM28 at Jomtien and as I said before I do it because my owner a Thai lives abroad and is unaware about TM30 and tbh trying too communicate with her would be a nightmare.

17 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You need to submit the TM30 at CW when coming back after leaving the province. 

Interesting. I returned to Bangkok from a trip to the US last Sunday. My landlord went to CW to file a TM30 on Tuesday. She also specifically asked if I needed to file a TM30 for travel inside Thailand. She was told that no TM30 is necessary. 

I don’t really believe that but is just an example of front line IOs giving conflicting information. However, I had traveled twice inside Thailand, Pattaya and Isaan, in August without filling a TM30. No mention of that travel when my landlord filed the more recent TM30 for international travel. Whatever . . . 

If you come back from abroad, "just count 90 days". There is NO NEED to immediately report back when you have a one year retirement visum.  You report back 90 days after re-entry into the country. You are registered at the airport already.

7 minutes ago, otaku00 said:

If you come back from abroad, "just count 90 days". There is NO NEED to immediately report back when you have a one year retirement visum.  You report back 90 days after re-entry into the country. You are registered at the airport already.

Unfortunately that is not true. Since I am applying for my year extension on Monday I wanted to make sure I had an up-to-date TM30. A 90-day report is not at all the same thing. I have that too.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Unfortunately that is not true. Since I am applying for my year extension on Monday I wanted to make sure I had an up-to-date TM30. A 90-day report is not at all the same thing. I have that too.

A previous poster stated your address is logged at the airport, the I.O. only checks to see if you put down an address, you could out any address down. They don’t have the time to input every individuals address, that’s why a TM30 is required

Until every Immigration Office and individual Officers follow the Immigration Regulations how they are written down this debate will go on for ever similar with the majority of the Immigration Regulations not just the TM30. 

Edited by Jumbo1968
Mistake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, otaku00 said:

You're not registered automatically at the airport. That's not the purpose of the TM6-card. 

As usual one can check in 3 different region immigration offices for any form (of)  information :wink: and end up with 4 different interpretations of the rules by the divine golden wings at the counter !! :welcomeani:...The more confusing the rules, the more important becomes the official.

Edited by observer90210