Thailand's surging baht shatters expat dreams of easy retirement

webfact

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

The figures given are of visas issued in each year.

The people in the immigration office are not getting visas, they are getting extensions of stay based upon visas issued in previous years.

100% correct.  I cannot understand why it took so long for anyone to point out the obvious misunderstanding.  I thought there would be inundation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sounds like another fool not planning his life properly with no escape route.

The problem with this thinking is that many are forced by nature to take the inevitable escape route not of their own choosing so all the planing goes out the window.

2 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

COMMON SENSE

Ah common sense. It is not that common.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

I moved all of my savings over by brexit result and invested in property even though there were many saying just rent.

ive lived in the house for nearly 4 years and I'm in negotiations to sell.if it sells I'll transfer the majority of it back to the uk and will of made 2 million and four years of living here.the profit has come purely through the fall of the pound and rise of the baht.i think I must be one of only a few expats that want to see the baht go up even more.

i do feel sorry for them that planned their retirement because I don't think anyone could of predicted what has happened to both currencies.also I personally know of a few that have sold up and gone home and now all of my friends that used to visit Thailand have wiped their hands of the place.

thailand will soon feel the pain.its ok all the reports of India and China saving the day but most can't afford to visit.

Anyone that would actually pay what you paid for it is extremely uneducated.

Lower the price you paid 30% and it is worth what you paid for it.

But, good luck.  Toss it on the market with the 10's of thousands of other properties and watch it sit....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Really? The THB is strong and hurting expats lifestyle?

Let me get my reading glasses... must have missed something.

Probably that it's an evil farang publisher, Bloomberg. NNT would never publish such utter toss, Thailaaaan is numbah one!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, quandow said:

I did. Honestly. I actually planned on having at least 50% OVER what I wanted/needed cuz in my 60 plus years on this planet I have NEVER seen prices going down.

Yes,  smart as some have planned for the future, inflation, currency exchange changes, etc.

That is all part of a well balanced portfolio as one gets up in years.

Obviously, most worlwldwide don't have one or a plan and have no idea what a financial portfolio is.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Seems like my monthly expenses over last 15 years run 20-25k. Doesn't include trips and holidays, dental, the odd checkup or insurance.

Learn how to cook or eat Thai food. Teach English if you have the education and ability. Just stop complaining and stop asking for special treatment.

Lots to criticize about quality of life but Thai staples being expensive is not one of them.

3 hours ago, BestB said:

I remember aud hitting 21 about 10-12 years ago and it was painful but then it shot up to 33.

now aud hit 19.80 and it’s super painful, but I wonder what’s around the corner 

how much longer can baht sustain its strength and rising prices 

my guess is that the pain for the AUD should be over.  look at the two economies:  similar GDP growth, australia has a lower current account surplus, but runs lower deficits.  If you were holding Sterling I'd be much more worried (massive current account deficit, nominal GDP growth, similar deficits to Thailand, and then there's Brexit. . .

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The strong baht we keep hearing about is due to foreigners buying bonds or whatever.  Yet daily I read that the govt is giving xbillions of baht to the rice growers because they can't sell their rice because of the strong baht, then the durian sellers get x billion of baht to prop up the durian price, then the rubber growers and processors complain that the strong baht won't allow them to sell overseas so they get x-number of baht, then the tapioca sellers get x-number of baht because the baht is too high for them to sell overseas,one crop after another that the govt is subsidizing due to a high baht and exporters say the exports are dropping monthly due to the high baht.  Something to me doesn't add up.  If the govt has to take care of all the exporters, how can they afford submarines, tanks, attack helicopters, airplanes, etc?

• Like 2

Gets worse day by day and government dont care a <deleted>. Keep interest rates really high. Many Asian countries, EU, Australia and USA brought them down already few times this year. Here it stands on one of the highest in Asia. Tourism is really low, forecast for high season look bad, for expats who live here it becomes really expensive country, many move out. Export also suffers a lot.

Interest should be brought down by easily 1 full %

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

In fairness, from the point of view of British expats, the strong baht is only the tip of the iceberg. Brexit and our idiotic government are the main villains with regards to current exchange rates.

How have all the retirees taking their Pounds out the Country , affected the exchange rate ?