Lack of critical thinking makes Thailand's competitiveness ranking slip

webfact

1 hour ago, JRG23 said:

Has anyone read 1984? Cheap liquor, prostitution, lottery tickets........ 

where, when, i have been looking for cheap liquor, cheap prostitution but they cant even get that right

Edited by atyclb
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

You only have to teach in the public schools here to understand why there is zero critical thinking and why Thai students perform at the bottom of the heap.  In a class of 40 students, for example, when you give a quiz you will typically only have 3 or 4 students who actually answer the questions.  The rest of the students will copy those students' papers.  When you check the results it will be obvious there will be 3 or 4 groups of matching papers with identical mistakes in each group.  Sad but true.

T. I. T. ????????????

How much better are private schools? My stepdaughter is in Por 1 at a school (with an English Course) that claims to teach critical thinking, but is it worth the 19,000 baht per term?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Caldera said:

They cannot get rid of the lack of critical thinking without that leading to the people - now critical thinkers - getting rid of those currently in power. It would be a dangerous move.

Yes, Caldera (above). It would mean a TOTAL revolutionary rejection and condemnation (and incarceration for life) of bad people (not the Good People, of course! Thailand could not survive without them ...!).

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1

I've hardly seen a single post on this thread that demonstrates critical thinking, or an understanding of it....they are mostly just examples of exactly th problem that Thailand faces.....of course it is not just Thailand; critical thinking is unfashionable on a worldwide scale, just look at Trump and Brexit. 

Those who want or who are in power know that the internet has marked the return of the sale-oil salesmen and the general public can be manipulated in ways we haven't seen since Victorian England or 19530s Europe.

So when Thailand lacks critical thinkers, it's not such a worry as all their competitors are suffering from the same problem too.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

If anyone is actually interested in skeptcality and critical thinking here is an introductory video.

learn how to identify your own or others' confirmation bias and understand the laws of large numbers.......etc.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Yinn said:

This a survey. Not really science. Impossible to know if true or worse or better.

but I know thailand have lot of opportunity if you work/study hard. 

Easy to get the job, everyone need good worker. Need foreigner worker because job to much. 

At school some my friend study hard. Some just want to play computer game all day. Some take drug.

if you study hard can get good job. If you work your business hard you can be success.

if you lazy to work/study/not try to have successful business, then you not have success. Up to you. 

Sure, work hard and you'll do well, but the paper was about Thailand's competitive edge. Lack of critical thinking is hampering the countries' growth and other countries are overtaking Thailand.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

If anyone is actually interested in skeptcality and critical thinking here is an introductory video.

learn how to identify your own or others' confirmation bias and understand the laws of large numbers.......etc.

Thanks for posting that. Unfortunately I think he has his own confirmation bias on some areas :smile: 

56 minutes ago, orientalist said:

How much better are private schools? My stepdaughter is in Por 1 at a school (with an English Course) that claims to teach critical thinking, but is it worth the 19,000 baht per term?

Some are really good.  If the school has a farang teacher, or 2, it's going to be much better.  Just do a little research first before deciding on a particular school.

Regarding price, 19,000 baht seems a little steep but OK.  If the school is excellent it's worth it.

Good luck! ????

Edited by Jimbo in Thailand