Returning with overstay in passport

Hello all,

I returned home to the uk in September but I overstayed by 21 days due to my own stupidity, I will be returning next year in March to get married and see my kids.

will this overstay affect me getting a visa exempt when I fly in to bkk?

I had been getting non o's to visit my kids, then extended for to months, then i did a border bounce for a visa exempt, then extended it, thats where i messed up, as the extension is 1 month not 2 months like a thought.

I was planning to come on a visa exempt get married then go get a non o based on marriage.

I would recommend that you return with a tourist visa, rather than coming visa exempt. It might not make any difference. However, Immigration officially has discretion to deny visa exempt entry. When they want to deny you entry with a visa, they need to use bogus reasons, and may be more reluctant to do this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

However, Immigration officially has discretion to deny visa exempt entry. When they want to deny you entry with a visa, they need to use bogus reasons, and may be more reluctant to do this.

If they use a bogus reason to deny entry with visa (which they are empowered to do), what valid reson they would use for visa exempt denial?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

If they use a bogus reason to deny entry with visa (which they are empowered to do), what valid reson they would use for visa exempt denial?

Back around the middle of 2014, there was a police order that instructed Immigration to deny use of visa exempt entries to stay in Thailand longer than necessary for tourism purposes. The prime minister subsequently ordered that this should be "applied flexibly". The combined effect (and I consider it logical) is that Immigration has similar powers to decide if you qualify for a visa exempt entry as a consular official has to decide if you qualify for a tourist visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I would recommend that you return with a tourist visa, rather than coming visa exempt. It might not make any difference. However, Immigration officially has discretion to deny visa exempt entry. When they want to deny you entry with a visa, they need to use bogus reasons, and may be more reluctant to do this.

Jimmy follow britTim advice its pretty spot on. In my first post I did suggest a setv. Just gives you more relaxed flight. Then organize future options once here in los

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

They would/could/can use the usual. Basically "insufficient funds to support ones self". Why ask a rhetorical question. You knew the answer. Also know flopping out even 10kusd or more will not even be looked at. Crazy/stupid reason? Yes for sure. But that doesn't help. 

Edited by DrJack54

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

I would recommend that you return with a tourist visa, rather than coming visa exempt.

I am concerned he appears to be far from a tourist. That would also apply to coming in Exempt too. I don't see the overstay per- se as being the issue, but a past record of using various methods to live in Thailand. 

I have always had non o visas, the visa exempt i got was the first one ive had in over 3 years. I might fly to laos and apply for a non o instead of risking getting denied at bkk.

I cant apply in the u.k for a non o, as i dont have a bank account in my name due to former debt and bankruptcy problems, i use my mothers bank, i also have a thai bank account.

1 minute ago, justaphase said:

No worries, 20 days is nothing. I've had 500+ days and a few 1 or 2 month os and have never had any problems. As long as you have cash on you to prove you can stay here you'll have no problems.

That was previously when they didnt care about overstays , these days thing are different and it may be an issue 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:45 PM, jimmjam said:

I had been getting non o's to visit my kids, then extended for to months, then i did a border bounce for a visa exempt, then extended it, thats where i messed up, as the extension is 1 month not 2 months like a thought.

I was planning to come on a visa exempt get married then go get a non o based on marriage.

There are many reported cases of refused entry lately so it's not advisable to go in visa exempt or even tourist visa considering your history of overstay and previous visits.

Immigration is getting tougher these days for visa/border runners, those days are over.

Apply for the appropriate non-O visa.

Edited by EricTh

On 10/11/2019 at 9:06 PM, BritTim said:

Tourist visa doesn't make much difference nowadays. Have you looked at the numerous rejected cases on tourist visa reported in this forum lately?

Immigration have wisen up to the border/visa runners.