Overstay and no cash advice needed.

21 hours ago, roo860 said:

This lad is from U.K. which is not Canada.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think every reader knows that he is from UK. I believe "Canada" was just used as an example because the poster possesses knowledge about Canada aiding in such sorry circumstances.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:43 AM, 55Jay said:

Overstay not as easy peazy as it used to be.

Tell him to stay put where he is, don't get arrested, book him a flight home.  Borrow 20,000 Baht (equivalent) and send to him for potential max fine on the way out of the airport.

Why should he borrow the money? It's not his child.

The question is why is he in this situation in the first place? Did he just not know ( no excuse ) or did he just think he could get away with it?

Unless the money is forthcoming from somewhere, I'm guessing the boy is in for a very bad life lesson ie, abide by the rules or take the consequences.

Sorry, but as one that abides by the rules and paid large for the ability to stay legally in LOS, I find it hard to be sympathetic, unless some extenuating evidence turns up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

I was under the impression if you book a flight to Thailand, for tourism you needed a return ticket

Never used to be that way. It was only for a visa exempt that one needed a flight out. Loads of people arrived by air and exited by land.

Perhaps it's changed.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but as one that abides by the rules and paid large for the ability to stay legally in LOS, I find it hard to be sympathetic, unless some extenuating evidence turns up. 

I've read some of the posts on page 7.

Seems no extenuating evidence has turned up and he seems to be the agent of his own misfortune. Time for tough love from mum, IMO.

It's not like he's the first guy to go to jail in LOS, and he won't be the last.

There are direct flights BKK> UK for 12k, non-direct for 7.5k, plus 20k overstay, he’ll need at least 30k to get sorted. I don’t know the lad or if any of the allegations against him are true. I’m not here to judge him, better things to do today.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 10/17/2019 at 1:14 AM, esposa said:

For me I'd just leave him where he is to deal with the consequences of his actions ..

I don’t intend to read this huge list of comments but leaving him and dealing with the consequences isn’t an option. 

If caught he will be detained, there is no option of getting a job on the sly and sorting this out himself.

if caught he will be detained and there will be a monthly question, do you have the flight and 20,000, yes or no? Yes is his get out of jail card - no sends him back to wait for the yes answer. 

It’s down to Mum, I’m afraid, 500 quid for the overstay + the price of a ticket home and a taxi to the airport. 

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Now you only need 29 more. I'm in.

He's a sorry axx character but sxxt happens. I'm in for the sake of the mother.

I’m in .. the wife if forever saying “don’t worry, tamboon” 

Perhaps if put in a brown one in it might come back to me from another direction.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never used to be that way. It was only for a visa exempt that one needed a flight out. Loads of people arrived by air and exited by land.

Perhaps it's changed.

Why a flight, one can exit Thailand by train and its possible  to get an advanced train ticket 60days before your travel. Internet booking possible.

10 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Why a flight, one can exit Thailand by train and its possible  to get an advanced train ticket 60days before your travel. Internet booking possible.

Because by air is safer. He can pay the overstay and leave easily. Any other way is fraught with complications.  

I dont have any sympathy for him. I am also surprised his family cant come up with just 800 pounds. Genuinely surprised at this..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps it's changed.

Or transport out of the country. Train, Bus. One could be traveling to another country. Its possible to book advanced tickets before  you enter T/Land

• Haha 1

Even if Mum can raise the cash I wouldn't book the flight in case he gets arrested for the alleged theft. There is a possibility that the police only wants to talk with him as a witness but even that could delay his departure and possibly loose his ticket out of the country. 

On 10/17/2019 at 9:02 AM, holy cow cm said:

How is it the kid doesn’t have the return airfare ticket portion? Aren’t they still good but have to pay a fee change? Or did he mess that up? 

Maybe because if he came over on say a 60 day tourist visa a return ticket is not required or he could have come visa exempt with a RT ticket but did not leave after 30 days so it's expired.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:31 AM, White Christmas13 said:

I traveled 17 hours by train form Ratchaburi to 

Penang which was the closest boarder I guess

Wow, why did you do such a long run, I live in Nakhon Pathom about one hour east of you.
In my first year over here I did my border runs at Aranyaprathet bordering Cambodia

only 4 hour drive from here?
I left at 06:00 arrived there at 10:00, took an hour to do the paperwork, cross the border>turn around and come back in to get the next 90 day stamp, an hours shopping at the border market then drive home in time for tea!

Is there not an immigration crossing at Kanchanaburi/Myanmar border?

Edited by hotchilli

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, Ventenio said:

It's funny when people tell the OP to let the kid learn his lesson, hit rock bottom, and maybe he will grow up that way.   Of course it's easy to say, you don't have to deal with the repercussions.  Let's think about that.  1.  He will probably hate you forever, and this hatred will run deep.  He might want to do anything to get you back for you allowing him to suffer because you wanted to teach him a lesson.  This hatred could easily last a lifetime.......If you decide to let him get arrested, maybe raped in prison, stabbed, whatever.... that's probably rare, but he would blame you for everything.  I just want you to think this through.  I would be very positive with him on emails, and I think this is either a 100 or 0 percent situation.  Either you really try to help him, or you abandon the situation and everyone he is associated with.  This can easily ruin a family.   Yes, he's dumb, it's his fault, and all the above.....but this is a mistake in Thailand and Thai jails are no joke.  Yes, he must grow up, etc......I'm just saying if my mom's boyfriend could have helped me and then let me rot in jail.......imagine that hatred when he comes back.  Sure, call the police and have him arrested and try to destroy his life.....see how that will work out for you.  Have him get beat up in prison for being soo dumb. yea!!  that will help you.  if you love her, you love him.  or you don't.  you think playing a game with his life is smart?  ok, keep us posted if you do.  

Get real he stuffed his friends in the UK for money, he worked here illegally, he spend all his money, he is subsidized by a friend here, he is accused of theft. He is a <deleted> person and deserves all he gets.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 10:38 AM, Ventenio said:

It's funny when people tell the OP to let the kid learn his lesson, hit rock bottom, and maybe he will grow up that way.   Of course it's easy to say, you don't have to deal with the repercussions.  Let's think about that.  1.  He will probably hate you forever, and this hatred will run deep.  He might want to do anything to get you back for you allowing him to suffer because you wanted to teach him a lesson.  This hatred could easily last a lifetime.......If you decide to let him get arrested, maybe raped in prison, stabbed, whatever.... that's probably rare, but he would blame you for everything.  I just want you to think this through.  I would be very positive with him on emails, and I think this is either a 100 or 0 percent situation.  Either you really try to help him, or you abandon the situation and everyone he is associated with.  This can easily ruin a family.   Yes, he's dumb, it's his fault, and all the above.....but this is a mistake in Thailand and Thai jails are no joke.  Yes, he must grow up, etc......I'm just saying if my mom's boyfriend could have helped me and then let me rot in jail.......imagine that hatred when he comes back.  Sure, call the police and have him arrested and try to destroy his life.....see how that will work out for you.  Have him get beat up in prison for being soo dumb. yea!!  that will help you.  if you love her, you love him.  or you don't.  you think playing a game with his life is smart?  ok, keep us posted if you do.  

I disagree with the part about the hatred.....this guy is going to have hatred to everybody including the Thais, family, this guy trying to help, and on and on. Until he takes responsibility for his actions the cycle will continue and continue. Some time incarcerated will give him time to sort out his jumbled selfish thinking. Bailing him out is like telling your alcoholic husband to stop drinking as you buy him a bottle of booze. Ultimately you are also an enabler if you bail him out.

I got imprisoned in Morocco, and that place is no Hilton Hotel. Ultimately it was my own fault and I just dealt with it. I got absolutely no help from the Brit Embassy, but then why should I?

It wasn’t fun, but a good story to tell occasionally. As for sh@t prisons....I visited one in Nicaragua.....60 guys in a space for 20, the smell was disgusting, and it had just been cleaned before we walked in, one toilet and one shower. They slept on concrete cots, room for one, but two slept there.....no mattress of any kind. One of the saddest things I’ve ever seen.....and of course only the poorest of the poor in there. Sometimes life is tough, but nothing like a third world prison.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, White Christmas13 said:

I just don't get this overstay business,I've spend many years in Thailand 

and always followed the law, I did a boarder runs every 90 days.

I am not sure if we had 90 day reporting at that time, maybe we did and

I wasn't aware of it. I traveled 17 hours by train form Ratchaburi to 

Penang which was the closest boarder I guess, so why can't other visa

holders do the same? What is so hard about it? No matter what visa you

on follow the rules,and no I am not a Thai apologist, I hated many things 

in Thailand and that's why I left. But I always followed the rules.

I don’t get this overstay business either. Plain foolishness. They get themselves into the situation and then go crying to family and friends.

They only have themselves to blame. 

• Like 1

On October 17, 2019 at 7:59 AM, esposa said:

His friends in the UK won't help, he left owning most of them cash. I've since found out a gofundme was set up 2 or 3 days ago, not one person has donated.

The police are apparently looking for him, hence his sudden urgency for money to come home. He was apparently accused of theft and the police were informed. He claims he's innocent but he's lost his job and didn't save any cash from the job. 

On October 17, 2019 at 8:02 AM, Olmate said:

His mother no doubt knows him better than you! Do you see bad in every such predicament I wonder

It's sort of difficult to see a lot to be sympathetic with here. His friends know him well too. Apparently the police have some evidence about what a charming person he is.

Mothers  often love their children regardless of what they know about their behavior.

If he is detained over the immigration issue, that pesky theft allegation could make his quick exit unlikely even if the 800 pounds is miraculously found.

It's the borrowing the 20000 baht and flight money that is the issue. His mum simply doesn't have it and isn't in a position to borrow it, there is nobody else he can ask (his father passed away when he was a child). For me I'd just leave him where he is to deal with the consequences of his actions but his poor mum is beside herself with worry. I'm just trying to get a idea of all options to figure out in the circumstances which is the best one/cheapest for his mum because ultimately even if she has to save for months that's where any money will come from.

Maybe he should start a “Go Fund Me Page”  there are enough softies out there who will donate money towards his flight and fine in the meantime he should keep a low profile in other words avoid being caught by the police.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Get real he stuffed his friends in the UK for money, he worked here illegally, he spend all his money, he is subsidized by a friend here,he is accused of theft. He is a <deleted> person and deserves all he gets.

again, you fail to understand.  This is his gf's/lover's son....it should be part of his family.  I'm not talking about strangers or friends or the embassy or whatever.....I'm talking about a part of his family.  Yes, your gf's kid is part of your relationship if you want it or not.  OK, sure, let me die and go broke and suffer and really suffer and learn and learn and maybe help him get arrested to really teach him a lesson.  this will not work out well, i'm sure of it.  if you put your son in prison, then let us know how that worked out for you.  unless you've been in this situation, you really have no clue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Maybe he should start a “Go Fund Me Page”  there are enough softies out there who will donate money towards his flight and fine in the meantime he should keep a low profile in other words avoid being caught by the police.

Seems you don,t read the thread, it was tried with zero results!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

I disagree with the part about the hatred.....this guy is going to have hatred to everybody including the Thais, family, this guy trying to help, and on and on. Until he takes responsibility for his actions the cycle will continue and continue. Some time incarcerated will give him time to sort out his jumbled selfish thinking. Bailing him out is like telling your alcoholic husband to stop drinking as you buy him a bottle of booze. Ultimately you are also an enabler if you bail him out.

I got imprisoned in Morocco, and that place is no Hilton Hotel. Ultimately it was my own fault and I just dealt with it. I got absolutely no help from the Brit Embassy, but then why should I?

It wasn’t fun, but a good story to tell occasionally. As for sh@t prisons....I visited one in Nicaragua.....60 guys in a space for 20, the smell was disgusting, and it had just been cleaned before we walked in, one toilet and one shower. They slept on concrete cots, room for one, but two slept there.....no mattress of any kind. One of the saddest things I’ve ever seen.....and of course only the poorest of the poor in there. Sometimes life is tough, but nothing like a third world prison.

Wondering if whilst  in prison you had any help from anyone? As you say it was your fault ! That seems to be what your suggesting happens to this mothers son. The analogy with domestic violence is plain stupid, are you thinking his mum should buy him another ticket to Thailand!

It's the borrowing the 20000 baht and flight money that is the issue. His mum simply doesn't have it and isn't in a position to borrow it, there is nobody else he can ask (his father passed away when he was a child). For me I'd just leave him where he is to deal with the consequences of his actions but his poor mum is beside herself with worry. I'm just trying to get a idea of all options to figure out in the circumstances which is the best one/cheapest for his mum because ultimately even if she has to save for months that's where any money will come from.

IF you are really his friend and concerned, why do YOU not lend him the 20000thb+flight?

Im sick and tired of this overstayers.I meet a  guy in sukumvit and he brages about his overstay and work unlegaly as a teacher.I moved table rigth away.These kind of people makes it harder for the people who follow the laws.I been in thailand more then 60 times,never ever overstayed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

why doesn't he go for crowd- funding? everybody without proper travel preps, without a plan, without means, without insurance, without brains does this nowadays - and they all succeed and get "rescued by the good internet samaritans"

Edited by thurien