The week that was in Thailand news: Mistaken identity and misconceptions: What goes through a Thai's mind seeing foreigners?

rooster59

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Rooster, some great stuff in there this week, thanks.

The bits that kept me tittering including anagramming GoGo bar names while sitting in them. Having run a GoGo for seven years, I can honestly say I can't recall any customer with a piece of paper attempting that.

Writing their phone number to give to one of the dancers in an attempt to avoid paying the bar fine was the closest I can recall regarding writing an epic in a GoGo.

The Crocodile Farm and the offer of 10,000 Baht to take away a corpse must have been like winning the lottery thirty-odd years ago.

Regarding shooting two pretties in the Yaris made me wonder about the "58 year old woman shot her philandering husband in the stomach through a door while his "mia noi" waited outside;"

Was it by any chance his back door?

Cheers.

Yes, happy days in the "Smelly Irishman" at SAGS 'N TICKLE.

But the anagramming was gone in my head. Heaven forbid a bar owner like yourself would think I was writing down a phone number on the bar tab. 

Thanks for reading,

Rooster

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Rooster with all due respect,have you seen what has happened in Mexico this week,i lived there for about a year in the early 90's,it was okay then,sure there was violence,but it was all pretty low key,if you have seen the video's of Culiacan this week,well,guys from the cartel driving around with 50 cal machine guns, the Policia federal cowering behind their cars, over 21 dead,that is what you call violence,earlier in the week,13 police were killed in an ambush,a day later 15 died. I myself have visited Sinaloa,with my then beautiful Spanish girlfriend who was an English teacher,we intended to drive up to the mountains,we were warned that it was ' muy pellegrosso,es hombres muy mala" in English,very dangerous and very bad dudes up there,we stayed a week at the beach instead,,which was heaven,her in a tiny g string bikini,<deleted> the mountains,what i am saying is Thailand can be dangerous,but far [unless you provoke a Thai] less so than many other places i have been.

Yeh I saw.

For what it's worth I have always felt perfectly safe in Thailand....unless the bmissus caught me talking in my sleep. 

Rooster

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"The sergeant major denied shooting two pretties in the Yaris".

One bullet had hit the rear of the car after all.

Yaris is allowed...try telling the truth and say <deleted>....it's not

allowed on PC Tvisa

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
add on
  • Like 1

The part ` What goes through a Thai's mind seeing foreigners?´ in my opinion, misses the topic almost completely. How one can deduce what ALL the thais think of ALL foreigners from the assumptions of a single farang is a riddle to me. Are chinese, cambodians, koreans,  japanese, indians and people from Africa no foreigners? Why no catch up some thai opinions? That would have been at least a bit more objective. Even from a weekly newsletter I would have expected something more than a completely missed topic. I wonder how this could happen, as all other parts of the newsletter are good, informative and up-to-date.

9 hours ago, Nomad1000 said:

The part ` What goes through a Thai's mind seeing foreigners?´ in my opinion, misses the topic almost completely. How one can deduce what ALL the thais think of ALL foreigners from the assumptions of a single farang is a riddle to me. Are chinese, cambodians, koreans,  japanese, indians and people from Africa no foreigners? Why no catch up some thai opinions? That would have been at least a bit more objective. Even from a weekly newsletter I would have expected something more than a completely missed topic. I wonder how this could happen, as all other parts of the newsletter are good, informative and up-to-date.

Yes. This is written from my perspective as a crusty and aging Brit. It is not meant to be all inclusive about what Thais think about other nationalities. An idea for another column in the future.

Thanks for reading. 

Rooster

On 10/21/2019 at 11:46 AM, Nomad1000 said:

Why no catch up some thai opinions?

If you have been in Asia for any length of time, you would know that Asians don't often say what they actually believe.

Whether to save face or avoid conflict, it is difficult (and often impossible) to get truthful, high resolution answers.

Asking Thais publicly what they think of foreigners would elicit universally pleasant answers which many of us believe is strongly contrary to the general nationalistic sentiment.

Most Westerners regularly fail to understand this fundamental cultural difference between Thais (and other Asians) and us.

Reference reading: Thai Cultural Mandates (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates) which Thais STILL follow.

138439506_mandate2.png.99dc0d372516ffd5f4bca3715e3503bf.png

Edited by Fex Bluse