New router installed

Inderpland

Just had a new router installed by the 3BB technicians and now my wifi is split into a 5G and a 2.4G part. I understand that the 5G is quicker than the 2.4G part so is the split only done to accommodate newer and older phones? I can get the 5G network on my new Nokia while my wife can only see the 2.4 network on her older Samsung. 

5G is faster  but covers shorter distance and penetrates walls less

2.4G is slower but covers more distance ,penetrates more and is compatible with more devices..I've turned my 5G off as anything needing high speed in my house uses an Ethernet connection instead.

Under ideal conditions, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps, depending on the class of the router. 5 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 1300 Mbps

4 minutes ago, johng said:

5G is faster  but covers shorter distance and penetrates walls less

2.4G is slower but covers more distance ,penetrates more and is compatible with more devices..I've turned my 5G off as anything needing high speed in my house uses an Ethernet connection instead.

I did a bit of research on the subject and found what you wrote regarding range difference but are you saying that I don't need the 5G connection on my wifi connected devices?

I am for instance using the wifi to watch Netflix and Youtube on my TV. Surely it would be better to connect to the 5G band?

Depending on the environment where you live, 5 GHz wifi may also be considerably less congested, meaning fewer other 5 GHz wifi users around whose signals can interfere with yours. Whereas 2.4 GHz is widely and vastly used here, creating a lot of signal congestion in city/urban areas.

We live in a house with heavy concrete walls between our router in the living room and our main bedroom. And the 5 GHz wifi signal between the two is much faster and stronger than the comparable 2.4 GHz signal, in addition to having almost no nearby interference from other 5 GHz routers.

Generally speaking, for most residential uses, I would always default to 5 GHz wifi to start, especially if I had devices that supported it, which many still do not. For those, the 2.4 GHz band still can be used. Your wifi router will support use of both bands at the same time. It's not an either or situation.

4 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

I did a bit of research on the subject and found what you wrote regarding range difference but are you saying that I don't need the 5G connection on my wifi connected devices?

I am for instance using the wifi to watch Netflix and Youtube on my TV. Surely it would be better to connect to the 5G band?

it would be better, more stable, faster to use a cable connection,,,,, that's what I did and that made a big difference. Have 2 TV's one connected with cable and the other connected via WiFi, the one with cable much better/stable connections

2 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

Its not mandatory to use 5G

2.4G  would be sufficient,   yes 5G could be "better" speed wise  but even better is a direct Ethernet cable connection to the TV.

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

An if your internet connection is only 200Mb/s? UP TO is the operative word.

The best router connection via wifi can only give you the maximum actual bandwidth that your ISP delivers to your router, nothing more. On the other hand, a bad or weak wifi connection can significantly degrade whatever capacity your ISP is providing to your router.

So whether someone is on a 20 Mbps or 200 Mbps or 1 GB ISP plan, it only makes sense to use a router wifi connection (if you need to use wifi instead of ethernet) that's going to preserve as much of that incoming bandwidth as possible. And that's where a 5 GHz wifi connection is often going to be superior in real world results to a 2.4 GHz connection.

1 hour ago, somchaismith said:

Only on Thaivisa can people get 5G speeds when Thailand has no 5G internet.

Different 5G.

The 5G the OP is on about is a 5 GHz (frequency) wi-fi signal from his router. The other frequency is 2.4 GHz.

The 5G (5th generation) you are talking about is a technology for high speed mobile device (smartphone/table) connectivity. Current standard here is 4G (4th generation).

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

My 3bb router similarly has 2.4Gb and 5Gb connectivity. I keep the 5Gb for my exclusive use and leave the 2.4Gb to the proles.

Funny you said that, I have done the same, use 5Ghz on my 2 devises and son & wife are on 2.4

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My 3bb router similarly has 2.4Gb and 5Gb connectivity. I keep the 5Gb for my exclusive use and leave the 2.4Gb to the proles.

13 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Funny you said that, I have done the same, use 5Ghz on my 2 devises and son & wife are on 2.4

You're quite the gentlemen!:biggrin:

7 hours ago, Inderpland said:
21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

20 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

You're quite the gentlemen!

Nothing of the sort. What matters are these small, insignificant and fundamentally pathetic victories in the face of rising Thai nationalism, currency and immigration demands. On the home front, if anyone sucking on the tit of my free wi-fi doesn't really like me, they can do so at the lower data rate.

Archived